Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP!! Locked out 996 cab, how to get in??

3point6

So here is the situation..

2002 996 Convertible, with hardtop.
The car is locked and the remote key will not unlock it, the driver door lock does not work. Holding key in unlock position in the door lock does not drop the windows.

The battery has power I believe, so gaining access to the frunk and energising the battery would be no use. we need into the cabin..

How to get in? Please PM me if the info is too sensitive to make public..

Smash a window but make sure its the cheapest to replace. Another member had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. There's an intense thread on it on here if you search for it.

No expert by any means but here's what I would try:

1. Key reset - By putting the key in the door and then turning the key while pressing the door lock/unlock remote button on the key (which causes the red light on the dashboard by the windshield to flash as well) - I assume the key fob battery is good? I know you said the lock is busted but its an option.

2. Emergency cable frunk release option - I'm thinking your battery may be flat unless you are 100% satisfied that your car does indeed have power.

Good luck

J.

Im not convinced that it isnt a flat battery so emergency opening of the bonnet / boot and a jump pack is the first thing to try.

Details are in the 996 faq section .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56267

If the door has been appart before then its possible to put it back together without the key barrel actualy being connected to the lock .. in that instant the key will do nothing.

Thanks guys.. battery may well be flat i'm now told.. (I'm trying to deal with this at a distance).
I will be with the car later this evening.

I know I can grab the emergency release cable for the engine lid from under the rear light and open the engine lid. From there I can put a power pack on the jumper terminals and energise the car, hopefully then the remote will work.

If not, then I'll try wedge the driver window open and see if my can and hook can grab a handle or poke the central locking button.

If that fails, next plan is to break a glass.. probably the rear screen on the hardtop, at least then the car can still be used with the soft top... I think a rear quarter glass would be hard to replace, door glass would mean we can't use the car for a while.. I'll update..

Im hopeing its just a flat battery as if not then you also have a door barrel lock fault.

Dont break the rear side window on a Cab .. rather expensive to replace i would think.

Rear quarter glass appears to be the cheapest part to replace at approx £40 on ebay delivered. But looks like a bit of a job fitting it..

Yup its the time involved i was thinking of , i seem to remember its not the quickest or easiest job out there .. get a quote first if possible if it comes to that .. hopefully it wont though.

I got in.

The battery was flat.
Opened engine lid via the cable under the rear light, power pack on the terminals, and could then remote unlock.
The driver door handle does not open from outside which will need sorting..

Thanks for your helps...

Excellent .. no window cost .

The door handle rod can fall appart or if its been worked on in that area recently then be left appart by mistake ..

No 9 and 12 in the image .. a serated rod pushed into a plastic shaft with a collar to lock them together .

Easy access with door panel off and the far top right corner of the membrain peeled back .

Attachments

• 804_20_996_1998_05_no9_804.gif
    804_20_996_1998_05_no9_804.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,048

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back