Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Central locking issue

richardlee

Hi
I'm after some advice. The central locking on my 2000 996 has stopped working. It was fine last night, got to the petrol station this morning and it wouldn't lock. I can lock the drivers door manually with the key but the passenger side won't lock. When locking the drivers door the alarm beeps once. Now i believe this happens when something is open, i've checked and nothing seems to be. Ive tried the spare key and the same thing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rich

Ha, mine has just started doing the same thing. Thought it might be trying to tell me that the keyfob battery is low but I haven't looked in to it yet...

You need to go through each thing with a microswitch on it that tells the car its open or shut. When you get in the car using either door do the interior lights function as they should? So come on when either door is open then go off when shut? Sounds to me like it thinks your passenger door is constantly open :dont know:

Most common are glovebox or central console not shut or knackered microswitches. Check fob battery - does red light come on in the fob when you press lock/unlock button? It should be bright red and illuminate almost instantly when the buttons are pressed (including the button to unlock the bonnet).

Edit: As its 2000 model, no glove box. But check central console, also bonnet and boot are shut properly and no open circuits.

Thanks for the replies. So the interior lights function as they should and so does the red light on the fob. The red light on the top of the dash works as well when key fob is pressed. I guess I'll have to get it somewhere to get the micro switches checked

Do both doors lock with the interior door lock switch on the dash board?

I'd say it's most deffo one of your door microswitches or locks. Hopefully Demort will be along soon to advise.....or one of the other clued-up lads (infrasilver et al).

If you cant lock it by the key fob but the light on the dash flashed to say the key signal is being sent then the car is basically refuseing to lock for some reason .

The main reason being if the drivers door is open it will not lock ..

logically then the fault will be a micro switch in the drivers door lock ass. has failed and it thinks the door is still open.

The beep is as said to tell you the car is seeing something open.

Locking with the key is basically forceing the car to lock manually.

Only way of proving anything though is with a tester .. it will literally take 10 mins to diagnose what is wrong so a quick visit to a garage is in order if you dont have a tester .

:worship:

Thanks Demort! :worship:

One more question, is there any way to lock the passenger door manually until I get the micro switch sorted?

Not that i know of .. i think even with the door card removed you couldn,t .. the lock part is there but not accessable i feel .. although ive never tryed it before so an educated guess.

Just a stupid thing to try but open and close the doors several times .. both sides .. you never know .. it may start to work again .. its the equivelent of hitting it with a large hammer !!

EDIT..

Actually then technically there is a way ..

As per the diagram and a pulsed earth/feed ..

Pin 1 would need an earth
Pin 9 would need 12 volt to lock
Pin 2 would need 12 volt to deadlock

All in that order , you would need the wiring going to the rest of the car to be isolated as otherwise it would back feed the alarm cu.

I dont recomend this though as its more for info than what i can comfortably advise to do .

Attachments

• lock_1_174.jpg
    lock_1_174.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 3,321

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back