Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BOSE Back to Factory HELP NEEDED

N33DLC

Hi all,

Purchased my first Porsche in November, a 996 TURBO X50.

Just getting around to making a few modifications, or 'de-modifications' as the case may be.

My car was non sat nav with Bose from the factory, Porsche have advised me that the head unit was a CDR23.

A previous keeper has removed the Porsche head unit and fitted an ALPINE CDE-104BTi which I think looks naff, not to mention the sound quality being terrible.

I would rather just put it back to standard, and hopefully that would mean better sound quality.

Having spoke to several people about this, I needed to find out if the fibre optics had been retained or whether the speakers had been re-wired.

I've re-moved the head unit and it looks like the existing wiring has some form of adaptor fitted to it, please see pictures.

I would like to know whats involved in reverting back to factory?

Is it just a case of un-plugging the old, buying a second hand CDR-23 and plugging it in, or is it not that simple?

If not, what other options are available to me?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• img_4457_320.jpg
    img_4457_320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,677
MORE PICTURES

Attachments

• img_4457_237.jpg
    img_4457_237.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,672
  • img_4459_515.jpg
    img_4459_515.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,672
  • img_4460_483.jpg
    img_4460_483.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,672
You may well find that the previous owner when fitting the alpine head unit needed to use a MOST optical interface , this is very common when fitting aftermarket head units to Bose equiped 911s . Hopefully for you it will just be a case of removing the MOST interface module and reinstalling the replacement OE equipment :thumb: :thumb:

I may be totally wrong here as radios are not a strong point of mine .. actually their pretty low on my list ..

The wiring seems to have the original plugs and i have to admit i thought it Wasn,t Optical (x2 orange wires ) on this setup , i thought only PCM had the MOST (fibre optics )

So just plugging a CDR-23 in should work fine.

The OEM unit - CDR23 - will not sound better, different maybe, but not better.
There could be issues with the amp and what speakers are being driven that could make it sound terrible, but that won't be the alpine's problem - it depends how its been wired up.

There are other single DIN units that offer better technology than the CDR23 without looking "boy-racer"
Such as the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB which is what I have.

As Phil says, if you are going back to OEM, hopefully the optical cable is still intact, then you can just remove the ISO to OEM patch cables and the CDR23 will fit straight back in and work. if it's been butchered, then it's really not worth the effort :(

Looking at the costs of a used CDR23 on ebay though, I'd be looking at replacing the system (including the amp) with something modern and less garish :thumb:

Just checking, What year is your car? The MOST came in after 2002, it wouldn't be the first time Porsche had come up with the wrong part from such a query.

If it defiantly is MOST equipped and therefore would have had to be cd23 then it may become a little complicated depending on what's been chopped up or removed or died and hence was replaced with after market.

The bose system is not bad, but speakers run low impedance and signal split by bose bits in the frunk then amplified and sub box has it's own signal etc so unless everything replaced properly it could sound somewhat sub optimal, alpine heads are usually pretty good but would depend on what it's being played through, check what speakers are there and what bose bits are left in the frunk and if the sub is still present before buying stuff you may not be able to use

Did you just want a less garish single din head unit, did you want oem or a double din satnav retrofit job?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back