Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back in the 993 as daily driver - disaster

Kat1

Following the recent theft of my daily driver (a hot Audi) and the expiry of the initial Insurance company funded hire car, the 993 is now the daily driver.

On coming home from returning the hire car I went to get the 993 out of the garage.

I walked between the multifold garage doors and the 993 to get into the car, start it and reversed out.

I failed to notice that that the garage door had partially sprung back and was resting against the rear PU - you can image what happened next.

So back in the 993 as a daily driver for less than one minute and one meter and I have already made a significant contribution to the battle damage.

Only one thing to do - drive it like I stole it - Oh no that what started this chain of events.

Sorry to hear that Kev.

I am now six weeks in using the 993 as a daily driver and the issues continue:

Immobiliser socket stops making contact which stops the engine turning over and starting. New immobiliser socket and key fixed this.

Rear side light not working - New bulb

Seat squab motor not working - wire broken at motor spade lug - how?

Odometer not recording - I suspect this is the well documented "cog issue" so it will be sent to Reap Automotive Design when the Audi returns.

I wonder what the next few weeks will bring.

apollokre1d said:
Kat1 said:
I wonder what the next few weeks will bring.

A 997

That would be nice, but they are a bit too big for me.

I parked my Audi A4 Estate next to one at Waitrose. It was almost as long.

Sold the A4 for a S3, primarily as I felt more comfortable in a smaller car.

hehe was only kidding, i really like the 993. Sorry to hear it's not working out at the moment.

It did amuse me.

These are only very minor issues, easily fixed.

I posted them so newcomers to the 993 world have an understanding as to what maybe to come.

I would have a bit more fed up if they had occurred on a trip.

Unfortunately hot (S & RS) Audi's are the thieves favourite right now and have been for the last couple of years. Look on the bright side, it's a great excuse to get the Pork out and have some fun in the colder temps. :grin:

Nothing more real than an old 911 with a few battle scars...

C.

Hi Kev,

Don't know how I missed this .. I blame a not-so-dry January :lol:

Good that you are finding the gremlins before any tours this year - apart from that garage door partially closing on you, what a rotten bit of luck :eek:

As you say - it's minor stuff and easily fixed and also a very good excuse to tinker ..

How do you find the daily drive in it? Comfortable enough? ..

Mine was a daily for several months last year while the 710 was on mat leave and needed the family wagon (XC90).

Served pretty well but didn't really help the love affair with the 993. I enjoy it more it's back to weekend duties.

I had the same seat issue and nearly had a similar garage door issue, the up and over door somehow disengaging from the motor chain just as I was about to drive in!

:eek:

Luckily nothing (and more importantly, no-one) was hurt. I now give it a couple of seconds just in case.

This reminds me of the time my Dad drove his 993 Carrera 'S' for 3 days in the late 90's while his then E39 5-Series was in getting the now famous head linings issue resolved with a new head. I can remember him quite clearly putting it back in the garage on the return of the BMW and saying how he would never want to drive it everyday and was only too glad to have a break - for a weekend blast he loved it - after all he did buy 3 of them over the years! haha

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back