Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension Dilemma!

Do you have some before and after pics for the spacers? Looking forward to seeing it with them and the springs and also hearing how the ride is affected.

I've read this thread (and similar) with interest as It's something I like the look of. But I'm often told to leave well alone as it messes up the cars handling.
I even read in the last Total911 mag that lowering the suspension can cause 'snap over steer' so leave well alone. They were referring to the GT3 during track use. Perhaps if you're not pushing on it doesn't matter but I'd like to leave all settings optimum.

galahad said:
Do you have some before and after pics for the spacers? Looking forward to seeing it with them and the springs and also hearing how the ride is affected.

Hi mate. As soon as we get a decent day and I am not at work I will take some pics with spacers only. Hopefully will fit the springs next week and then will update this thread again with pics :thumb:

skinny_monkey said:
how much of a job is it to change from bolts to studs?

Easy! The H&R studs have an allen key fitment and are also supplied with thread lock on the short thread which turns into the hub. Remove bolts to take wheel off and then turn the studs into the hub and locate spacer/wheel thereafter. Must say studs look a lot neater than bolts as the nut sits flush. Seems more of a thorough job to use studs with spacers and the fronts match the rears which have the push-through studs already fitted.
Again, will post some more pics shortly mate :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
I've read this thread (and similar) with interest as It's something I like the look of. But I'm often told to leave well alone as it messes up the cars handling.
I even read in the last Total911 mag that lowering the suspension can cause 'snap over steer' so leave well alone. They were referring to the GT3 during track use. Perhaps if you're not pushing on it doesn't matter but I'd like to leave all settings optimum.

I can certainly give feedback on these comments once I have fitted all items.

I too read various other forum threads and there seems to be mixed feedback. Mainly why I opted for quality components..

Norfolk & Idea said:

I guess as we are only lowering our cars to somewhere close to a stock GT3 we are not going beyond the limits ,whereas lowering a GT3 still further may take it beyond the optimum and affect the handling as you say. I can only say from my own experience of having lowered gen1 and gen2 cars that I found a considrable improvement in handling and combined with new OE or semi solid engine mounts they sit low and flat into bends and are a further improvement. but neither springs or mounts are exceeding the gt3 stock set up.
But you have raised a good discussion point and I would be interested to hear from any GT3 owners who might have further lowered etc their cars as to how they found the handling. :thumb:

I think they mean that GT3 height is as low as you should go? Any lower risks hitting bump stops/bottoming out.

:yeah:

Any shorter spring with a standard shock is a compromise as we all know.
That's how my car currently runs but it's not the proper way of doing it as your standard shock is already using 25/30mm of its travel before it even has to do anything.

You can get away with the above if your shocks are in good condition and for road driving with a decent geo it's okay, but just okay.

A proper suspension kit is far better as it will have the shocks to match the shorter springs. Coilovers are the proper solution but they are very expensive for proper ones. I class proper ones as items from the big players such as Ohlins, KW, Bilstein, Exe-tc.

That's what I'm waiting for. For now though I'm on -30mm springs on factory M030 dampers that have done 75k miles. It's adequate but nothing more.

:thumb:

C4-STORM said:
skinny_monkey said:

Easy! The H&R studs have an allen key fitment and are also supplied with thread lock on the short thread which turns into the hub. Remove bolts to take wheel off and then turn the studs into the hub and locate spacer/wheel thereafter. Must say studs look a lot neater than bolts as the nut sits flush. Seems more of a thorough job to use studs with spacers and the fronts match the rears which have the push-through studs already fitted.

Ahh ok I didn't realise they bolted in from the wheel side. Very Easy then!! :)
I thought they would have come through from the inside (As in, hubs off first)

skinny_monkey said:
C4-STORM said:
skinny_monkey said:

Ahh ok I didn't realise they bolted in from the wheel side. Very Easy then!! :)
I thought they would have come through from the inside (As in, hubs off first)

Most of the floating collars on my wheel bolts where corroded anyway so I used the best 10 to bolt the rear spacers on with :wink:

Not a great shot but gives an idea. Personally I think 7mm at the front is enough. The rears look as though tyres will rub arches when lowered but as Phil said hopefully the drop will cause a bit of camber to tuck the tyres in a bit. There is no rubbing at all with the standard ride height..

EDIT - PIC Damn Smart Phone!! Okay now Phil :thumb:

Attachments

• img_8007_207.jpg
    img_8007_207.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 2,377
Hard to tell from that pic but I think your right on the fronts lookforward to seeing it on Sunday morning mate :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Hard to tell from that pic but I think your right on the fronts lookforward to seeing it on Sunday morning mate :thumb:

Useless phone pic! Have re-edited :thumb:

Best before and after I can find for now (flipped image)..

Attachments

• img_8007_238.jpg
    img_8007_238.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 2,362
  • media0q6cnz3j_169.jpg
    media0q6cnz3j_169.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,362

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member