Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why the gearstick with PDK?

Johnd52

Hockenheim
I know that you need a switch or lever to direct the drive with a PDK box, but wondered if anyone on here regularly uses the stick in manual mode? On my VW dsg and the Porsche PDK I always used the paddles for manual changes, never the gear lever in +/- mode.

Just curious why they bother with it.

Probably because the buttons are so awful if you dont have the paddle wheel? :grin:

I find that when wanting to grab a different gear on a tight corner it's much easier than the paddles because your hands aren't in the right place on the wheel. Using the gear lever to flick up and down is a lot more logical and natural now they have made the change to back for up and forward for down - very useful and a nice alternative to the paddles in my view.

spongebob squarepants said:
Probably because the buttons are so awful if you dont have the paddle wheel? :grin:

:yeah:

I must admit to having played around with the lever change but it's no match for the paddles.....

T

I use it for pulling out of junctions (1st to 2nd) until the steering wheel is straight for 2nd to 3rd with the proper paddles (got rid of the buttons because I kept changing *up* on track days as I braked hard and gripped the steering wheel too hard before corners).

And last year a mate (in a 997.1 C2S Manual) and I visited Santa Pod and wanted as fair a drag race as possible. I conceded to use the PDK's manual shifter! And still won of course.

I never bother. I think it's just a relic from days gone by, before the buttons and paddles were invented. :dont know:

Its so the gf can change whilst I'm texting on my coffee break :grin:

I only ever use it coming out of corners from 1st to 2nd, avoid it at other times BECAUSE IT'S THE WRONG WAY ROUND!!!

However I regularly use the gear shifter on my other car if I want to give my left arm a break or just a quieter means of shifting gear as the paddles are quite loud.

Shaoxter said:
I only ever use it coming out of corners from 1st to 2nd, avoid it at other times BECAUSE IT'S THE WRONG WAY ROUND!!!

I've found that if I keep my hands on the wheel, I can still reach the paddles for a mid-corner shift, at least until your arms are locked. Occasionally you need to use the wrong hand, but it's usually obvious which way you turned the wheel. :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back