Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cup Shift Cables

ditchvisitor

I'm thinking about getting the 997 GT3 shifter and Cup cables put into my 996 after reading about the vast improvements that they bring. Has anyone done this and would they recommend it? Also what is the likely cost and does anyone an idea of the necessary parts?
Thanks! [/i]

I've had them in mine for the last 8 years. With a single peice flywheel they do make a bit of a racket in the cabin at tickover but other than that it's all good. Takes all the slop out of the change & although they are lifed at something like 90 hours in a cup car, mine have done 100K miles easy!

Don't get the GT3 shift, I broke the plastic bushes in mine after 5 years. The 997.2 RS shifter is the one to get - it has metal bushes & should be effectively indestructable.

I don't have up to date prices but you should be under £1K plus VAT.

Thanks Nick, I have managed to track down the part number for the correct shifter, just need to try and get the Cup cables. I will be able to fit the shifter myself and will get RPM to fit the cables.

You'll need someone with a motorsport account to get the cables; you can't order them through a normal OPC account.

Ah ok thanks Nick, I'm guessing the usual suspects JZM/Fearnsport would be able to order them in?

Yes, should be able to get them from either of them.

So I ordered the 997 GT3.2 RS shifter today from an OPC, pretty decent price for what by all accounts will make a big difference. Spoke to Fearnsport and they are chasing some Cul cables down, they unfortunately think that the factory have stopped producing them!

I'd heard that also, some pop up for sale on rennlist, last batches bought by the yanks.

Just won a brand new set on eBay! Chucked in a very cheeky low offer and it was accepted! Have ordered the necessary little connecting bits from OPC.

ditchvisitor said:
Just won a brand new set on eBay! Chucked in a very cheeky low offer and it was accepted! Have ordered the necessary little connecting bits from OPC.

:thumb:

Well the cables arrived yesterday morning and are as described, brand new and the correct part number! Looking forward to getting them and the shifter fitted in due course.

A great xmas present to yourself, I'm sure. Please let us know what you think of them once fitted :thumbs:

I've just fitted the GT3 shifter, now just waiting for the console to come back from being painted. What do you think the difference will be with and without the cup cables?

Ronam2012 said:
I've just fitted the GT3 shifter, now just waiting for the console to come back from being painted. What do you think the difference will be with and without the cup cables?

My understanding is that the shifter on its own will make a noticeable difference but that the Cup cables add to the slickness of the gear chance and remove a bit more of the vagueness. That said I'm guessing it depends how many miles your car has done and how tired the original cables are.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back