Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bonnet strut replacement

galahad

Silverstone
Hi all,
The frunk/bonnet fell on my daughter's head last week so the boss insisted I replace the gas struts! I have bought some genuine porsche ones but wondered if there's a tip to removing the old ones without scratching the bodywork.

Saw a real ham fisted video on YouTube which I can't quite believe was uploaded, but I am sure there must be an easier way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwkEBLS4Rw8

I got a pair from Euro Car Parts that are exactly the same as genuine and less than half the price. Fitting them was easy, just use a brush to prop the bonnet as I changed each one over at a time.

He does seem to make a meal of it in that video, a flat blade screwdriver should just pull the clip out and you don't need to fully remove it.

The clip is actually sitting in a slot the idea is that using a thin screwdriver you carefully slide the clip along towards the end of the strut, as you move it the clip opens as it moves over the ball in the socket, its a bit fiddly but easy once you have done one end.

Del.

Tackled this today and have no idea how the guy on YT made such a meal of it! Took about 10 mins max and not a scratch in sight..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back