Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997.1 C2S

Collected the car yesterday with the new Tubi exhaust and Cagraphics Sportscat. Was a bit stressful the Oxygen Sensors had to be replaced, so I organised them myself and of course only 3 out of 4 were in stock and the last missing that got delivered later was wrong :pc: Anyways, it all worked out now.

Really like the look from the back now with the Tubi tips

wOe9ipS.jpg

First impression: wow it's loud :eek: . Louder than I expected. It's hard to describe, it sounds very raw and loud, and it is so different from the original PSE. You can still drive it fairly civilised when you are gentle on the throttle, but when you dip the pedal or even floor it, the gates of hell open, especially from 4k onward. I will try to do a better recording, have just quickly filmed cold start and idle with my phone when I picked it up yesterday.

Personal Opinion: In all honesty, I am feeling a bit mixed, I haven't had much time to drive around and test it a bit, planning to do that tomorrow morning. I feel like it has lost a bit of that Porsche sound/flavour and it's just brutally loud now - which funny enough is what I wanted in the first place. Anyways, need to have a bit fun with it and see how I get on :thumb: . Also, let's see if it will change/bed in/burn in a little bit over time.

Here some pictures from below, unfortunately no installations pics.

EFoAY4b.jpg

yIs0wEz.jpg

Looking forward to some full chat videos :)

Exhaust is my next venture, through i'm gonna go custom. Problem with the engine is low RPM it does sound very lumpy, doesn't have a natural rumble like a V8, or other VR6 engines. But up top passed 4k is where they sound their best 8)

Neil, that's spot on. The lumpy sound in the low revs is not very sexy unfortunately and i rarely drive with 4k+ RPM in the city, but when I get to a bit of open road, it sounds good

Here a quick comparison video, before and after (sorry for the amateur quality, filmed with my gopro) - Tubi at 0:58

Good job on the video :thumb:

Sounds really good.

Much more of a raspy sound and lots more pops. I like it although I'm not sure I could live with it all the time!

I am still getting used to, it's not my daily driver

I feel like i need to match the exterior now to the sound hehe

Next mods will be the alloys in black (potentially with tirestickers :popcorn: ), lowering springs and wheel spacers

then investigating whether i put on the black project headlights as they are or take them apart and grey out the LED ring, potentially respray the inside matt black (the projects are in chrome, looks a bit cheap, not sure i like it) including the grey frame/border (if possible, if it's not "engraved" into the glass, alternatively headlight covers)

Finally got around to put my dark hood crest on. Also, booked in with center gravity to get my springs and spacers fitted as well as a new geo (and also to review the suspension and see if anything else needs attention).

oPrYkIf.jpg

It was a bit DIY then I thought. The rubber gasket was too small,and i tried to force it in, but it didn't really fit as you can see here:

dsytvQg.jpg

After some googling, I found a shop in the US that sold the same Emblems and to my luck, they had instructions on the page and also advised to cut the rubber gasket inside along the edges so it can be stretched:

5LTDpid.jpg

Final result (the bottom bit fits snug, just looks a bit off on the picture):

T0qal1d.jpg

So I finally picked up the car yesterday from CenterGravity in Atherstone (really great shop, extremly nice, passionate and knowledgeable guys, no affiliation!) after having the following things fitted:

- Eibach lowering springs
- Eibach 7mm all around wheel spacers
- Rennline semi-solid engine mounts w/ yellow inserts

Given the mileage, they have also checked the whole suspension and re-aligned everything.

This was the view when I arrived :thumbs:

SpX4X8Q.jpg

In summary, the car feels so much better now. To describe it in a few words, the car feels a lot more composed and mature, while still being very comfortable. The semi solid engine mounts have also transformed it and just added a lot more to the driving experience for me personally (NVH!)

Eibach Springs

The car is now 16mm lower across both front and rear. Interestingly the rear was actually 4mm higher, despite having the C2S PASM sports suspension. My initial thoughts were that this is due to the "lighter" Tubi exhaust, but as discussed in another thread that this can't be the reason. CG checked the damper # and it all matches, just weird, but not really any issue.

Looking at the initial pictures the rear still looked a bit too high for my taste, but when I picked her up yesterday and saw it in person, I was very pleased:

hYaHmN8.jpg

eIfj1eO.jpg

owvueNq.jpg

Eibach Spacers

Given my 11.5J rear alloys with 305s Michelin PS4S, I didnt need the "standard" 15mm on the rear, the tire wall is very squared and sticks already out more than on other tires. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the wider look in combination with the springs

glckuNK.jpg

Front

0rxjm5M.jpg

Rear

oGST5kC.jpg

SS Engine Mounts

The car is alive! There is definitely more NVH, but I find it fairly pleased. I can feel the exhaust vibrating when accelerating and really adds to the character of the car. Also the sound of the exhaust has slightly changed, it sounds better (for the lack of better words, less raw but more grown-up. Turns out that one of the clamps holding the tips was actually broken, fixing that might have also helped!) and the shifting also feels a bit better and more precise. There is a little vibration in the cabin when revving at 3k, but i have a lot of loose stuff in the car i need to clean up and also usually drive with music, so no biggie for now but will try to eliminate if possible

YNblF3T.jpg

vv5B2ic.jpg

So in summary, very happy with the end result, here are a few more pictures

:D

wPfDtUs.jpg

pB20hUY.jpg

LUWDPEZ.jpg

fD6Q6jc.jpg

RbKlhE1.jpg

Test fitted the dark aurora headlights and took some pictures.

I think i need some vinyl headlight covers, don't like the double ring look.

UeqbQ5y.jpg

IvuBuMa.jpg

Unfortunately i think i broke the release clip / clamp, which helps popping out the headlight. I found a thread on Rennlist and i think my options are either just replacing the clamp or worst case new headlight holder. I still need to figure out how i can remove the headlights without the clamp properly working :?:

1U5cvk1.jpg

Can anyone recommend a shop for fitting and wiring up the headlights for proper DLR functionality? Thinking either Design911 (where I bought them from) or somewhere else that anyone can recommend.

Also thinking of adding LED Fog lights, but i am not a fan of the chrome look, maybe i get them tinted. Also want to replace all the old "yellow" bulbs with white/blue to give it a more modern look.

re something to cover the outer ring on the lights , dont go for a plastic cover as they are too thick and stick up above the bodywork , I tried that and really didnt like it ,so I brought carbon covers these were much thinner and fitted flush with the bodywork also the carbon looked nice but you could also paint it if you wanted too . I used windscreen mastic to fix them in place and I have been able to remove them a couple of times when I needed to. :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• 7car_177.jpg
    7car_177.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 7,773
  • 26548616671_b530ab73c9_c_140.jpg
    26548616671_b530ab73c9_c_140.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 7,773
Thanks Phil, those look good!

I was thinking of getting the KIstudio headlight vinyls, if i remember correctly, someone here on the forum bought a few and was offering them out... need to find that thread. if not, i am ordering some from KIstudios or ask a local wrapper here if they can do it

But first i need to figure out how I can get the right headlight out with the clamp broken :frustrated: :frustrated:

Quick-ish update, after long back and worth, i decided to get my car wrapped wrapped. Picked her up today from dub customs, and really happy with the exterior now.

-Wrapped in 3M Satin Dark Grey
-Black roof, mirrors and small bits
-Alloys powder-coated
-Exhaust Tips powder-coated
-Porsche sun strip
-Porsche side decal and bonnet stripe
-Rear windows tinted

When the sun is out, the colour is really nice and shiny.

3SXIAbU.jpg

EetwqMO.jpg

Without sun:

fEVfKQq.jpg

From the back:

l0YD4um.jpg

Happy New Year!

No meaningful changes since my last update, but some of my favourite pictures i took over the past months.

Next on my to do list:

- exhaust check (don't think the rattling sound at low revs is normal and hopefully can get fixed)
- maybe some 15mm spacers for the back? currently have 7mm on but i think i want it to look a bit wider.
- black headlights, if possible
- interior, will probably try royal for some alcantara

sL3tIDd.jpg

qMBaUVr.jpg

dLRCi2R.jpg

I love the satin wrap and the black alloys, black mirrors, great balance and gives the car quite an aggressive look without having to add spoilers etc.
how are you getting on with the exhaust apart from the rattle which is probably either cracket bracket or heat shield touching something or back boxes touching the struts that strengthen the rear bumper. or im my case all three at some point lol.
I cant quite tell from the pics but have you black glossed the centre bar on the front air intakes and the roof looks nice whatever you have done.

That has to be one of the most aggressive looking 997s thats hasnt had a body kit added that I have seen.

nice work :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil!

Yes, the middle blade in the front air intakes have been wrapped in black, which makes them look slightly larger. need to add the zunsport grills actually which i have bought some time ago.

on the exhaust, it has really grown on me. as long as i don't push the gas pedal too hard and keep the revs below 3k, it's fairly quiet:cop: ... on hard acceleration or high revs, it starts getting loud and i get the occasional pops when it revs down again below 3k

think one of the brackets is broken and also the pipes connecting the tips are slightly different diameter, which doesn't let me align them properly/correctly

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back