Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 C2 wandering steering at motorway speed.

It simply sounds like you need the geo doing again as you have changed the control arms since it was last done.

MC

Thanks for the input guys.

It's all done and dusted now. Car is brilliant. :thumbs:

I changed the coffin arms, track rod ends and fitted lowering springs. Then I had hunter wheel alignment done to X74 geometry.

APL911 said:
Thanks for the input guys.

It's all done and dusted now. Car is brilliant. :thumbs:

I changed the coffin arms, track rod ends and fitted lowering springs. Then I had hunter wheel alignment done to X74 geometry.

Bit lost - what did you have done between the 9e work, the car wondering around, and the car now being brilliant. You first post said you'd already done the coffin arms. So was it the new springs and track rod ends that made the difference? Are you still running the 'shot' control arms?

It was the control arms causing the wandering. It is a known cause of that and the OP explained why they were not changed.

As to the comments about pointless geo, maybe read the fact that the front shocks and top mounts were replaced - you have to do a geometry when you do that.

Any change to rear control arms will generally need a re geometry.

Ken

996ttalot said:
It was the control arms causing the wandering. It is a known cause of that and the OP explained why they were not changed.

As to the comments about pointless geo, maybe read the fact that the front shocks and top mounts were replaced - you have to do a geometry when you do that.

Ken

Thanks for clearing up - was confusing because the OP doesn't actually mention changing the control arms, just coffin arms (twice).

lofi said:
996ttalot said:

Ken

Thanks for clearing up - was confusing because the OP doesn't actually mention changing the control arms, just coffin arms (twice).

Sorry for the confusion....

9e did some excellent work on replacing the front shocks, top mounts and trailing arms (tuning forks). They told me the control arms also needed replacing but I could not afford to pay them to do it.

It was after 9e's initial work that I asked the original question. I subsequently did the coffin arms track control rods and lowering springs myself, before getting the geo done again. I had started another thread to discuss the diy aspect of doing this work. Someone else resurrect this thread to tell me the problem was the rear sway bar bushes (which are fine). Anyway... back to the darts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back