Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ESMotor - another new World Record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DynoMike said:
911tom said:
Thanks Mike. All true about Matt. The core plug popping has nothing to do with the power the car was running etc. It happened at vmax. We have all the logs and the car was running perfectly. Oil and coolant temps were spot on. It is just an unfortunate thing that happened that made a big mess.

Hey Tom, no worries matey, hate to see someone getting a kicking for something that was out of his control. My point re the core plug still stands though; with the huge heat soak that accompanies any rolling road pulls on a turbocharged boxer engine, the blocks can expand a lot when the engine is switched off and the coolant no longer flows. This can lead to the plug creeping very slowly out of the housing over time. A good idea is to make a retaining plate, drill and tap the block with small M3 screws in three places, that way any plugs can't walk out. This was a 'must do' on 1600 BDA Fords when screaming at 10k rpm.

As I have already stated, this may not have been the cause at all, but it's on the 'maybe' list. Glad the Matts are sorting it out for you :thumb:

As for DD, no hard feelings, perhaps we can have a catch up at some point in the future, I hope you manage to get your Turbo quest sorted sometime soon. :thumbs:

Mike

Tom was kind enough to explain what happened Mike with the core plug ie it was subbed out etc but I'd still be deeply unhappy its not come through its first run in anger. No kicking intended we are all human and can make errors.

I have a few turbos but they're too nice to tune. I think I'm going to struggle to find a suitable donor car if a 996 turbo with no engine is worth £20k....

BF if you ever do go to VMAX and run yours in anger rather than polishing her to within an inch of her life :grin: I suggest with respect you think about maybe getting get rid of the DMS tune before hand. Fine on the road but you try and get her to 200mph with that tune and it could be messy!

Desert Dragon said:
DynoMike said:
911tom said:
Thanks Mike. All true about Matt. The core plug popping has nothing to do with the power the car was running etc. It happened at vmax. We have all the logs and the car was running perfectly. Oil and coolant temps were spot on. It is just an unfortunate thing that happened that made a big mess.

Hey Tom, no worries matey, hate to see someone getting a kicking for something that was out of his control. My point re the core plug still stands though; with the huge heat soak that accompanies any rolling road pulls on a turbocharged boxer engine, the blocks can expand a lot when the engine is switched off and the coolant no longer flows. This can lead to the plug creeping very slowly out of the housing over time. A good idea is to make a retaining plate, drill and tap the block with small M3 screws in three places, that way any plugs can't walk out. This was a 'must do' on 1600 BDA Fords when screaming at 10k rpm.

As I have already stated, this may not have been the cause at all, but it's on the 'maybe' list. Glad the Matts are sorting it out for you :thumb:

As for DD, no hard feelings, perhaps we can have a catch up at some point in the future, I hope you manage to get your Turbo quest sorted sometime soon. :thumbs:

Mike

Tom was kind enough to explain what happened Mike with the core plug ie it was subbed out etc but I'd still be deeply unhappy its not come through its first run in anger. No kicking intended we are all human and can make errors.

I have a few turbos but they're too nice to tune. I think I'm going to struggle to find a suitable donor car if a 996 turbo with no engine is worth £20k....

BF if you ever do go to VMAX and run yours in anger rather than polishing her to within an inch of her life :grin: I suggest with respect you think about maybe getting get rid of the DMS tune before hand. Fine on the road but you try and get her to 200mph with that tune and it could be messy!

After some consideration I have No interest in V-Max.

{remaining text moderated}

:admin:

Boba fett said:
Desert Dragon said:
DynoMike said:
911tom said:

Mike

After some consideration I have No interest in V-Max

I've not said I'm going to do anything? I bought a 991 turbo S rather than flash a 997.2 turbo S as they're so expensive nowadays may as well have anew one. Simply responding to your claim on the VMAX thread that you'd like to attend :dont know:

:admin:

Damn, T8 has intervened, shame, some need educating.

Merry new year everyone!!

Now now boys, play nice, tis the season for goodwill and all that :D

Back to Matt at Fearnsport, he's done some work on my car previously and i wouldn't hesitate to use him again, incredible knowledge and attention to detail. There's not many i'd recommend but he's right up there with the best of them imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back