Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hartech - Maintenance Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jond58

Nurburgring
So I have a 2000yr 996 c4 with circa 83k on it. I'm not sure if that qualifies for the Hartech LMP, obviously I'll contact them to find out. But does anyone on here have the plan?? It appears like you get a Gold service done first then pay monthly. Just thinking it may take a bit of "fear" out of ownership!!!

Worth having for that model. Gold Service first, fix whatever it throws up and Bob's Your Uncle, you can sign on to the plan. Covers labour and MOT.

Thanks. the car seems excellent and has loads of history (the good kind not loads of "history"!!) but I feel this may eliminate some of the Porsche Paranoia

As you say, you best talk to them directly.

I rang up once as I was thinking of buying a 100k+ miles car that was already on their plan. They told me I couldn't automatically continue with it and there'd now be that many exclusions that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I've also heard of big bills to get the car upto scratch after they inspect it to check its worthiness. Fair enough really as you aren't going to cover something that's already on its way out.

If the worst happens you'd get the labour for free on a rebuild which is probably half the cost. Still a big spend.

I've just taken the approach of "use the car as intended and if the worst happens, worry about it then".

It's a weekend car so if it breaks and I haven't got the funds to repair it instantly, it can just sit in my garage for a while or I'll sell it for whatever I can and move on.

By the way mine is a '98 C2 with 75k on car, 65k on engine.
I've had my IMS seal flipped open and some other stuff to help things and I'm hoping for the best.
If the IMSB doesn't let go you should have a good few miles before oval bores and things start to become a risk, so I'd say we are in the safe zone for another 20/30k miles at least.

You know mine will go bang now I've written that though. :grin:

If you cleaned it, filled up the washer fluid and fuel and then said that you've all but condemned it to failure!! Every major vehicle failure I've had has been following a major valet and general top up!
I get your point on the use it and worry about it if!! I'm a bit more of a cautious person, it is a weekend car and not an everyday thing so its true that if it didn't work one day it wouldn't be the worst thing and I know that long term ownership will see an engine rebuild/strip down as a cost

Put a fixed amount of money away in a savings account every month and if your engine doesn't go bang ( it probably won't!!) then you can go on a nice holiday when you move the car on.

Some negative comments don't really reflect reality. For example - to say paying half the cost of an engine rebuild is still "still a big spend" is rather negative because IF your engine needs rebuilding - you then already have an immobile car of little value until it is repaired - so although a "half price rebuild" may still be expensive - it will still be half the amount of money you were going to have to spend anyway - and therefore could also be referred to as "still a big saving". This becomes your glass half empty or half full response.

The most important issue to understand is that we charge a very modest monthly fee that covers all the costs of the annual servicing (and more frequent than Porsche's 2 years and 24K) being every 6K or 12 months (and with top quality oils) and that the servicing is free and includes all parts and labour and the annual MOT.

This is something you get back from your monthly fees. It also includes the free labour for most other repairs and faults.

The principle is the most important issue - that - unlike some businesses (that benefit from charging from work when things go wrong) we benefit most if nothing goes wrong and so does our customer.

So our remit is to maintain the car as best we can when we see it annually - so we don't incur any problems before the next service.

If we moss something - it is going to cost us more to fix it with free labour as a new job in between services whereas if we anticipate it and fix it during the annual check up and service we benefit from lower interruption costs and the customer gets a more reliable car.

Similarly - if we suggested a repair that wasn't strictly necessary or was premature - it also would cost us unnecessary free labour - so - unlike some competitors - we find ourselves in exactly the same position as our customer - both trying to achieve the best possible reliability from the minimum costs. If we get it wrong and our advice is wrong - we pick up the labour costs to fix it (and we cannot predict every component failure that might occur so we take that risk from the customers).

We could not afford this if we accepted cars onto the scheme that already needed a new clutch, brakes and have a scored bore only to be asked to fix them FOC a week after the owner joined the scheme - so of course any car with a number of clear and obvious imminent faults cannot be accepted on the scheme unless those faults are fixed or excluded from future free labour. But this is not (as suggested or implied in an earlier reply) some negative trick to generate jobs before the car is on the scheme - and if the car is OK there would be no additional work required or costs to then join the scheme after the initial service check.

With these cars ageing and known weaknesses it is the very best way to run one under a fair and balanced preventative maintenance policy and avoid huge bills if the worst happens.

Of course - IF - in your ownership nothing ever went wrong or failed - and you only ever received back the annual servicing and MOT for your monthly payments - it might cost a little more than if you simply had paid for them as needed (although in many cases it is still cheaper depending on who you use - their costs - what they include and their repair integrity) but in any case of long term ownership - when it is inevitable that some wear and tear parts (at least) will need repairing - it can only save money and owners can be confident that only work needed will ever be done.

Our main benefit is from a regular and reliable overall combined monthly income that does not require expensive advertising to attract while the customer's is the knowledge that their car is being looked after in the best possible way to maximise reliability and minimise costs while protecting against the full cost of very expensive repairs if a major failure occurred.

Let us also not forget that if an engine rebuild was needed - it would not only be cheaper but of the highest quality from the people with the best reputation available.

Baz.

The scheme does look pretty good TBH if you buy a car from Hartech in the first place - then you miss out that first repair bill and get lower monthlies.

Getting a car onto the plan might be pricey, but I'm sure they would quote you upfront. If you would otherwise pay Porsche tax for servicing it might make sense.

Depends on your mechanical ability, negotiation skills with indies, and attitude to risk.

I'd sign up for this for sure, if I wasn't 3-4 hours away. Have you ever looked into opening a Southern branch Baz?

bazhart said:
Some negative comments don't really reflect reality. For example - to say paying half the cost of an engine rebuild is still "still a big spend" is rather negative because IF your engine needs rebuilding - you then already have an immobile car of little value until it is repaired - so although a "half price rebuild" may still be expensive - it will still be half the amount of money you were going to have to spend anyway - and therefore could also be referred to as "still a big saving". This becomes your glass half empty or half full response.

bazhart said:
But this is not (as suggested or implied in an earlier reply) some negative trick to generate jobs before the car is on the scheme...

Baz.

Where are the negative comments Baz, or "negative tricks" being implied???

I was so careful not to say anything that would offend you as I know how defensive you get.

So a £6k or £7k engine rebuild bill is better than a £12k one, but is £6k still not a big bill? I think most of us with £15k cars would say "Yes it is".
That's all that was said.

Regarding the second point, if a sub standard car, with some faults, wants to get on your scheme, will it get a big bill to get it upto scratch?
You've just said yes it will as you can't cover things that are obviously pre-existing.

That's exactly what I said. Even using the words "Fair enough", as nobody would cover an old nail that already had issues.

Honestly Baz you're getting paranoid. Jesus wept. :roll:

You said - "So a £6k or £7k engine rebuild bill is better than a £12k one, but is £6k still not a big bill? I think most of us with £15k cars would say "Yes it is"".

This totally misses the point that regardless of how much your car may be worth - you can only incur either a £6-7K or £12K repair bill IF YOUR ENGINE NEEDS A REBUILD in which case which would you prefer?

You comment as if getting a rebuild for half price is not a good thing because it is still a lot of money - and what on earth has that got to do with the situation where you need a rebuild anyway and cannot get out of paying something for it?

It is easy to try and divert attention from lack of common sense in your reply by personal accusations but we run this scheme to help sensible owners who understand good value for money, good service and appreciate our commitment to them if they suffer serious problems and I will always defend our position when contributors - for whatever reason - misunderstand the issues or misrepresent them.

No warranty scheme worth its salt would take on a car with cover for glaring existing faults and them cover them fully straight afterwards.

It is relatively easy for contributors to construct comments that seems to criticise another business or individual until their post is properly scrutinised to weed out the nonsense.

All I do (and I make no apology for it) is - when I think our services our misrepresented - defend them and so would any other business that is not scared to stand up for themselves.

Paranoid - NO - proud of what we provide - YES - ready to respond when needed - YES ALWAYS - get over it.

Baz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back