Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 gearbox ECU

cheshire911 said:
A harrowing experience and understandably a good reason to get shut come spring. These cars are getting on and side incidentals such as blowing the gearbox ECU from jump starting don't help the ownership experience.

Its fine and sorted for the tine being but if/when you get the next wallet opening experience, you'll wish you'd got rid of it earlier for someone else to dig into their wallet.

An Indy I know sees people spend silly money on their 996's and Boxsters versus their sale value - an emotions blackmail the car imposes on its owners!

Whatever you decide to do, I wish the experience is better for you next time around.
As above, it is difficult knowing when to stop spending!,
For Midlands based owners PCT going will be a blow.

I think the situation hasn't been helped as the car is my daily drive. It's been hard being without my car. I have owned two 911-996 models and they have been no problems to own. Tyres and brake pads basically. Cheap sensational fun motoring. I was perhaps lured into a false sense of security by the reliability of Porsche. At 2003 the car is perhaps too old to be my daily driver. As I have a series 4 Alfa Spider already as a classic which itself is causing me issues with my ankle and knee I think it will have to go, End of a chapter.

cheshire911 said:
An Indy I know sees people spend silly money on their 996's and Boxsters versus their sale value - an emotions blackmail the car imposes on its owners.

Just see my ownership thread for evidence of such insanity.

bakerboy4s said:
cheshire911 said:
A harrowing experience and understandably a good reason to get shut come spring. These cars are getting on and side incidentals such as blowing the gearbox ECU from jump starting don't help the ownership experience.

Its fine and sorted for the tine being but if/when you get the next wallet opening experience, you'll wish you'd got rid of it earlier for someone else to dig into their wallet.

An Indy I know sees people spend silly money on their 996's and Boxsters versus their sale value - an emotions blackmail the car imposes on its owners!

Whatever you decide to do, I wish the experience is better for you next time around.
As above, it is difficult knowing when to stop spending!,
For Midlands based owners PCT going will be a blow.

Not really. Wolverhampton and Solihull OPC do some great fixed price servicing on 996/997 cars with competitive labour rates on all work at service or outside service that compares well to indys. If you are in Staffs, then you can consider Sports & Classic (my local Indy) who are excellent and easier to reach than Coventry. But the emotional spend is sometimes too much to bear when I see guys who bought a Boxster for £8k sink £6k within months of ownership when it goes for a service and a string of advisories/essentials!

People retire, life moves on.

The starter pack which when applied backwards to the wrong terminals also took out the stereo fuses in the multi disc and the head unit. I only discovered this on the way home from PCT. took it back yesterday and they fixed it for me. I was talking to a couple of the guys and there are plans for the mechanic there to set up on his own. I'm sure in the new year there will be a. Outlet of web sites set up from former employees continuing to work with Porsche cars.

I am truely sorry to hear this , i didnt realise it had been jump started the wrong way around ..

Im currently working on my second one of these in 6 monthes , the first was just a tip control unit and a few fuses .. the one im working on atm is far far worse.

Its a dam shame this has put you off though , after all these years and all the cars i have worked on i still consider Porsche to be the ultimate car .

All the best with what ever car you decide to replace it with and hopefully one day it will be a Porsche again .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back