Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheap second car (4x4 / practical)

markz86

Monza
So, I'm currently toying with the idea of buying a cheap second car.

I'm thinking it would be cool to own a cheap 4x4 that could be used and abused for the following:

- Tame off-roading / green laning
- General runs to the tip / picking up large items
- Potential to transport a Jet Ski / MX bike / Quad in the future
- getting to places / doing things that I wouldn't really want to do in my 991 (clay shooting for example)

I currently own a 991, which to be honest does not get used that much (I cycle to work). But every time I do use it, it feels like an occasion. My GF has an A3 Cab, which isn't much more practical than mine and hence we do struggle sometimes when it comes to transporting larger items.

I'm looking at a cheap X-trail or perhaps a freelander. I really like the idea of buying something really cheap that I 'don't care about" and hence will probably have more fun when off roading etc.

Has anyone done something similar? If so I'd be interested to hear what you bought and if you have any recommendations other than the two I have selected.

See if you can find a petrol V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are cheap as chips. Very well equipped with leather, heated seats, loud hi fi with amp under the back seat, air con and so on. I had an 02 for 10 years and it never let me down. Model reference is WJ. It towed my 1 ton boat and spares plus 5 crew with all our kit for a week long regatta in Cork without even breaking sweat.

Mark, I have 08 range rover just for the reasons you mention and for the school run. its great as I can leave it anywhere and dont worry too much about it. Also on those really cold frosty or smowy mornings its nice to have something that can handle that weather and that it doesnt matter if it slides into the kerb etc. have a look at old range rover/landrover/freelanders etc my mate has an old Honda 4x4 they are all good for what you need. :thumb:

kerb scraper said:
See if you can find a petrol V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are cheap as chips. Very well equipped with leather, heated seats, loud hi fi with amp under the back seat, air con and so on. I had an 02 for 10 years and it never let me down. Model reference is WJ. It towed my 1 ton boat and spares plus 5 crew with all our kit for a week long regatta in Cork without even breaking sweat.

Agreed I have had 3 grand cherokees all well equiped and reliable busses.

I had an old CR-V, bought for a bag of sand, drove it for 4 years, spent a bit on it keeping it roadworthy then sold it for £800. Best value motoring I've ever had.
I'm currently looking at one local to me and thinking of buying it.
Don't go for the Diesel get the petrol.

markz86 said:
So, I'm currently toying with the idea of buying a cheap second car.

I'm thinking it would be cool to own a cheap 4x4 that could be used and abused for the following:

- Tame off-roading / green laning
- General runs to the tip / picking up large items
- Potential to transport a Jet Ski / MX bike / Quad in the future
- getting to places / doing things that I wouldn't really want to do in my 991 (clay shooting for example)

I currently own a 991, which to be honest does not get used that much (I cycle to work). But every time I do use it, it feels like an occasion. My GF has an A3 Cab, which isn't much more practical than mine and hence we do struggle sometimes when it comes to transporting larger items.

I'm looking at a cheap X-trail or perhaps a freelander. I really like the idea of buying something really cheap that I 'don't care about" and hence will probably have more fun when off roading etc.

Has anyone done something similar? If so I'd be interested to hear what you bought and if you have any recommendations other than the two I have selected.

Lol id avoid anything that starts with Land Rover personally!

spongebob squarepants said:
Lol id avoid anything that starts with Land Rover personally!

:agree: especially if you're going for the cheap end. Defender would be my choice as these are a future classic but they aint cheap anymore :what:

Jeep Cherokee are a strong cheap bus and well equipped

If you are actually going offroad then look for a Santana PS10. Basic like a defender.... but with a much better iveco engine and without the Land Rover tax.

However for your use tip runs, towing and winter duties, I would get a Subaru Forester. stretch to an STI and you might even see no need for the 911...

Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, all good, especially 2.0 petrol versions, and cheap too. Bulletproof and decent off road. The early Ravs were full time 4x4, before 2000. V8 Grand Cherokee would be epic, but a lot more to run. I'd avoid anything with a LR badge, over hyped cr*p IMO.

I'm on my 4th Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2nd Hemi powered (WK1), they are addictive - cheap enough to run if you don't mind doing your own servicing etc. and don't care about fuel economy :nooo:

Another thought would be an early Volvo XC90 - I had a 54 reg diesel manual, which I chipped, had it was a very comfortable car, with ample space and not too bad offroad, as long as you were careful with tyre choice

Had 2 Jeep Cherokee and the first was a petrol 6 cyl that drank fuel at an alarming rate it really was scary how much it cost to run. The second was a diesel and it caught fire coming up the A9 one night, best thing that ever happened to it!

The only thing that's limiting your choice of vehicle there is the green laning bit. If you're serious about doing that, then do push on with the 4x4 route for obvious reasons. If you're not, then look at cheap estates.

A mate of mine bought a Disco about 5 years back for similar reasons you're stating. He ended up so into off-roading that he's now sold his sports cars as he hasn't the time for both.

The reason he hasn't got time for both is that most of the time he's fixing the Landy :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back