Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radio Recommendations?

thesmithsUK

My car came from Stuttgart with a Blaupunkt Toronto fitted.

But this was very quickly swapped out for a Sony 7201 system (for £1,075 +VAT in 1990!).

An Alpine system was subsequently installed - a CDE-103BT plus power amp and new door speakers.

But now, the windscreen aerial that the radio relied on is no more (I had the glass out recently and the connection was pronounced dead!).

I've heard that the Porsche Classic Radio Navigation system is expensive for what it is.

I'd definitely like DAB radio - which also sidesteps the windscreen aerial challenge if possible. (I'm a 6 Music fan.)

Currently looking at the Alpine CDE-196DAB.

Any recommendations?

Go for one of those models on ToreB's site. They 'blend' into the dash without looking blingy :thumb:

Hi,

I've heard that the Porsche Classic Radio Navigation system is expensive for what it is.

I not sure where you get that from? Porsche Classic units are currently just over £1k but you could get another 10% off form your OPC if you are a PCGB member. What you get for your money leaves the others standing: Radio; Satnav; Blue tooth music player, SD car player, hands free phone.

Ok it may not give you the high end audio that a good system will give you, but if you're in a 964 you'd be wasting your money on that anyway with an air-cooled flat-six howling away behind you.

On top of that they are designed to fit straight into the dash and they connect straight to the original wiring connectors, assuming they haven't been messed with previously.

I have one and I've used it in Europe and it's a very good piece of kit

Cheers,
Paul

Yes, they just look 'right' don't they?

But I also like the period-look of the (much cheaper) Continental units - thanks Zingari. Will investigate Bergvillfx this week.

The Kienzle head units also look very period.

Plus, I think I'd rather have my sat nav closer to my eye-line (i.e. Google maps on my iPhone).

Isn't Continental rebranded VDO? As for sound quality, speakers will have a huge effect on sound quality so if that's what you are aiming for make sure you include a compact 2 channel amp as well as component speakers in your budget. You can pick up decent 5.2 inch (13cm) speakers for 100 quid & a compact amp for under 300. I think you can also use 16.5 cm speakers too but won't get the original cover on.

Good point. But I'm going to stick with the (Alpine) power amp and speakers for now.

You can find (but not see!) the VDO options here: http://www.vdoshop.co.uk/acatalog/Audio.html. No idea why the images have vanished from the site. I fitted the "CD Radio/USB MP3/WMA" about 12-18 months, radio & CD player are fine, the USB is a bit pants - need to ensure its formatted correctly and you have no real track/playlist selection.
Mark

Thanks Mark.

Have decided to go for one of Tore B's Continental units (the one with DAB).

Keep an eye out for Becker Mexico Pro if you don't mind a second hand unit.

Looks the part and performs well.

Chris

Got my Continental DAB Radio professionally fitted yesterday. Very pleased with the result - both aesthetically and technically. Looks very 1990 to my eye, but with digital radio, bluetooth telephony, etc.

AQOf05z.jpg

Tore B is a real enthusiast who certainly knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

Am now looking at these iPhone holders for my google mapping:

http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Magnetic-Phone-Mount/productinfo/PM01.06/

Looking good there chum :thumb:

Nice ... looks right :thumb:

DAB radio etc

thesmithsUK said:
Got my Continental DAB Radio professionally fitted yesterday. Very pleased with the result - both aesthetically and technically. Looks very 1990 to my eye, but with digital radio, bluetooth telephony, etc.

AQOf05z.jpg

Tore B is a real enthusiast who certainly knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

Am now looking at these iPhone holders for my google mapping:

http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Magnetic-Phone-Mount/productinfo/PM01.06/

Hi,new to the site but like this unit,will it fit in my 996 and how do I contact ToreB? Cheers Mike.

cossiemike,

PM sent.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back