Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Laying up for winter - tyre flat spotting

:thumbs:

Happens so many times. Always worth a mention in any threads.

It absolutely is worth mentioning Alex! I'm prone to forgetting and have been fortunate to get away with jammed brakes a couple of times where it released, but very reluctantly and certainly didn't feel good doing it :nooo:

Useful thread and obviously topical. I like to keep driving but not going to that often on it's Cup2 tyres in mid-winter (and don't need to enough to put it on winter tyres), but I'm taking it that unless the car is laid up for more than say 6-8 weeks, special treatment for the tyres to prevent flat spots shouldn't be necessary :thumb:

I feel a group buy coming on here, £8 a set! Adamw I think your mate could sell a few sets here, each car needs 4 of them.

easternjets said:
I feel a group buy coming on here, £8 a set! Adamw I think your mate could sell a few sets here, each car needs 4 of them.

Haha, would love too but don't think he's making anything on them at that. That's mates rates (cost I think)!

:thumb:

FRZ 911 said:
adamw said:
Bluebird911 said:
Hi OP,

Google tyre savers and choose the ones suitable for your tyre size. Cheap and no need to mess about with tyre pressures.

Classic car owners use these when laying up their cars for the winter which can cause a real risk of damage to tyres of long term storage and flat spotting in cold temperatures.

Great, thanks - that's an idea

Any recommendations on where I'd find some wide enough as most I'm finding are circa 20cm wide but say they can be clipped together to make wider so may need a couple of sets ..

:thumb:

Yep - that's how I do it. :thumb: I bought mine off eBay and just clipped two of them together for each wheel. Item number: 181417898321 looks about right from memory.

IMG_2646.jpg

Hi

Just wondered if these are a pain to drive on to in terms of them moving about?
Do you have these fixed to the floor?

Adam,

I actually used a jack to lift each wheel up and placed the savers underneath. I think you would be better to screw the savers down if you intended to drive on to them. Personally I'm happy to spend a couple of minutes using the jack as the car is only put on to the savers when I'm away for extended periods?

Y2K said:
I read that 50psi, but having checked the tyres the maximum recommended are 44 front and 51 rear, so that's what I did.

I still move mine in and out of the garage every two weeks though.

Wouldn't starting your car every two weeks just to go in and out the garage he quite bad for the engine?

I don't like to start my car unless I want to drive it, warming it up through driving, not idle.

I agree, dont' just start the car just to move it around the garage or driveway.
Always aim to get it properly warm by driving.and there is a large volume of water and oil to heat up on these engines so this will take some time despite what the temp gauge says!

adamw said:
alex yates said:
Don't wash it then park it up! You'll lock your brakes up!!!!!!!

Sorry Alex, realise this, should have said:
'get car out for a spin, wash, take out for another spin with some spirited braking to dry discs, then tuck up"

:grin: :thumb:

Just to finish this thread off, thanks for all useful comments as usual

Out for a spin:

174_BE000-4_C1_D-4_C86-8_D3_F-92386_D95_F8_FE.jpg

Washed dried and on tyre savers :

DCCF445_B-371_A-499_C-9_C75-875_C1_E73_ACAB.jpg

Tucked up for hibernation (see you in new year):

722_ABD2_F-7950-4_BCA-_AE24-9_BA9_F811389_F.jpg

:thumbs:

Only 15 days to go :grin:

alex yates said:
Only 15 days to go :grin:

Probably about right , after 15 days I'll want to drive it again :grin: :thumb:
Oh well the tyre savers where a bargain and will serve well at some stage

I dug the gt3 out today. Not driven or turned over since 2nd November.

Tyres pressures are the same as when i left it and it's not Fred flinstone either with square tyres ;-) they are Yoko ad08r so stiffer side wall

Started first time as been on trickle charger. Let her warm up , drove it around the private estate for a bit as it was dry and back to bed. I forget how awful the mezger sounds on tick over....it really is an old 70s washing machine on a slow cycle

I really think you don't have to worry about a winter not doing much. If it was a few years then maybe put it on axle stands.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back