Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

That Wheel does look the dogs danglies Finn, the 997.2/991.1 sport wheel does have an impact. but at a cost as they don't come up used very often I had to buy new the same as you. :thumb:

cheers Phil. I did look for a second hand one but they all seem to be trips and most of the prices don't seem that keen, especially once I found out how much a new one was from OPC it was a no brainer for me, you can guarantee it won't have scratches or marks. I know I went for a used airbag but I made sure when buying that it was in perfect condition and got them to send photos of it before i bought and i could return it if i wasn't happy. Plus the new cost of one is so much more than used unlike the wheel.

Its been a while since i got some time with the 4S one reason was due to a coolant leak that it developed over Christmas while sat in the garage, so it was sent off to OPC to have it repaired under warranty. Not much to report on this front as they gave very little detail about the leak other than returning the car to me fixed and no other detail on the invoice other than that. I didn't even get my video of the work being done as they took my email address down wrong, but at least i know its sorted and i have new fluid.

Attachments

• 20180112_102311_resized_243.jpg
    20180112_102311_resized_243.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 4,079
Today though using up a bit of holiday left over from last year i did get round to doing a few more of the jobs on my list. First of which was to go and collect my new handbrake and gear knob form OPC Colchester, so first slide is of a few nice cars they had in.

Attachments

• opc_180.jpg
    opc_180.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,072
Once back home the work began on the job list which included, replacing the handbrake and knob, moving some usb connection cables that came from my head unit as i didn't like the location in the pot in the center console, the last is just a small touch to replace the indicator bulbs with chrome covered as i don't like seeing the yellow through the lens.

This is what i had before i started, with the standard handbrake and knob and the flappy cables hanging around.

Attachments

• 20180122_114255_resized_172.jpg
    20180122_114255_resized_172.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 4,067
i started by removing the knob, then sides of the center console, followed by the center tunnel. This is a job i have done a few times before in my old car fitting SSK and linkage cables so i didn't take many photos of this as there are quite a few how to on this. One thing that i haven't come across before is the old phone holder on the side of the console, first off i thought that this was attached to the panel so would pull out with it. I was wrong this has to be broken down and removed before the panel can come off but it wasn't tough, i do plan to remove the phone holder but i am hanging out for a good condition pre-loved normal blank panel to come up on Ebay. While i had things apart i also took the opportunity to have a good hover and brush under the tunnel. At this point i also pulled the USB cables through the tunnel to close to their final location, which will be under the lid in the console.

Attachments

• hb_durring_641.jpg
    hb_durring_641.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,058
The handbrake comes out quite easy and is only held down by 4 bolts and the cables are on a quick release clip system as seen in the photo above. Once out everything just went back together in reverse, the only job on the way was to pull the USB cables into the pocket on the console under the arm rest. To do this i used the third hole in the bottom of the pocket that doesn't have a screw in it to pull the cables out of which i think is a lot cleaner than the previous location. The photos here are of the finished interior with the new handbrake, knob and the final location of the cables. There is not much else planned for the interior as i have already replaced the wheel, i am toying with the idea of painting the center console and seat backs in Atlas Grey but that's up in the air at the moment. Other than that i don't think i will do much more apart from a visit to a professional upholsterers to tidy things up.

Attachments

• finished__202.jpg
    finished__202.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4,050
The last job for the day was to replace the old yellow / orange lamps in all of the indicators, most will think why bother but its just one of those things i like to do to make things on the outside look a bit cleaner. Some will ask if this can make you fail an MOT be i have done it on a few cars now and never had an issue.

Attachments

• lamps__138.jpg
    lamps__138.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4,041
After packing all the tools away i went for a quick spin to pick of some dog treats for my favorite mutts and on the way i thought i would find a nice industrial location to take a good pick. Unfortunately the flour mill that i used to cycle to when i was a kid has now been turned into a pile of rubble and graffiti.

Attachments

• 20180122_161057_resized_1_142.jpg
    20180122_161057_resized_1_142.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 4,451
Great work Finn. Your loss last year was certainly a gain in the long run as that Atlas car looks the Mutts conkers.

Car looks lovely! Probably one for the best looking oem wheels for the 997!

Has upgrading your wheel created any conflict with your OPC warranty?

How much was the handbrake?

RXP. said:
Car looks lovely! Probably one for the best looking oem wheels for the 997!

Has upgrading your wheel created any conflict with your OPC warranty?

How much was the handbrake?

Thanks I have had these wheels on both of my cars and defiantly my favourite.

TBH I haven't asked but it's and oem wheel so I doubt it and if was an issue I would question why and really what could changing the wheel affect

First off I thought they parts were the silly prices I listed on the last page as the first quote I got was for the two separate parts on different numbers as that's what the lad in parts quoted for. After some digging I found a different part number for a package of the knob and handbrake which came in just under £900 after discount so I went for it.
:bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back