Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Well its about that time of year again for reflection. This year the 993 has been neglected in that it has effectively been in storage for the whole year, albeit in my garage at home. Thats is due to both having too much fun in the Boxster GTS and work commitments (spent most of the year setting up a new business).

The car has not even had an MOT or service :hand: so has truly done 0 miles :eek:

I know I know, it will fall apart when I come to use it :roll:

The important thing is that I still love the fact that I own it :grin:

Hopefully it will get used more next year, lets face it getting an MOT will mean more mileage :thumb:

The car was 20 years old earlier this year and I even forgot its birthday :wack: but the current ferrari 360 thread got me thinking, what was I driving 10 and 20 years ago. 20 years ago is harder as I was young and changed my cars every few months but it was definately either a Nissan 300ZX or Subaru WRX, yep I was big into jap cars back then..... and turbo lag :floor: 10 years ago I used to wake up to this beauty .....

Attachments

• img_0001_456.jpg
    img_0001_456.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 9,127
jonttt said:
The car has not even had an MOT or service :hand: so has truly done 0 miles :eek:

:eek: Will that be a 'gap' in the service history :dont know: It'll put buyers off :what:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn :hand:

To me it would have done more harm than good to get the car out of storage to get it MOT'd and serviced especially when it does not need it.

Its first run, when it does get back on the road will be for a service :thumb:

I'll take pictures of the guys at unit 11 removing the air filters again to replace them and give me a quizacle look as they will be cleaner than the dusty ones off the shelf they put back in :grin:

Before I endeavour to update all of my journal pics to another host I thought I should test it with........... a new ferrari, delivered this week :driving:

fT50EBp.jpg

ps its not so clean now :grin:

jonttt said:
Before I endeavour to update all of my journal pics to another host I thought I should test it with........... a new ferrari, delivered this week :driving:

fT50EBp.jpg

ps its not so clean now :grin:

What a beast ..
Dirty pics are good too ...
. We don't judge on cleanliness ....you know that ...

So Last Saturday I got the 993 out of the garage and out for a run (on a private road) :eek:

First time out for c18 months :bandit:

I reconnected the battery, fired the ignition and it started first time, it simply purred away, not a single drop of oil on the floor, no a creak or rattle and simply drove like a dream..... who says you have to drive these cars to keep them maintained :grin:

Now its been a while since I've actually driven a manual car but I managed not to stall it and I even managed to back it out without the engine cutting out which given the engine had not turned over for so long I thought was remarkable (if you know these cars reversing when cold they are prone to stall)

I ran the car around for a glorious 30 min in the sunshine and then inspected it on the driveway. Oil level, pressure, temp all perfect, no smoke in site and the lovely unique smell of an aircooled engine and the lovely purring noise as it idled and cooled.

#993hewnfromstone, what a pleasure for a petrolhead...

My plan is to get it MOT'd and serviced in April so I can at least drive it a little this summer, BGTS when the sun is shining and 993 when its duller as my rides of choice for a fun blast. The 488 is not really hitting the sweet spot in the same way as this combination will :thumb:

uy5mYgb.jpg

DoqBmLu.jpg

NNfFPdK.jpg

Tw5hcSp.jpg

6zuDAxe.jpg

Lol4Kpf.jpg

FubE37T.jpg

and even just the "feel" of the engine lid opening, ooooooh, you just do not get that feeling of engineering / absolute build quality in any modern car .....

Ijk8eCo.mp4

The 993 is back :thumb:

That glove box needs a bit of adjustment to level it off. My OCD alarm went off straight away :what:

:thumb: it shall be sorted

Looks like you got a little too excited with the opening and closing of the engine cover as you've left a bit of man mess around the entrance to the airbox :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:
:coat:

jonttt said:
The car was 20 years old earlier this year and I even forgot its birthday :wack: but the current ferrari 360 thread got me thinking, what was I driving 10 and 20 years ago. 20 years ago is harder as I was young and changed my cars every few months but it was definately either a Nissan 300ZX or Subaru WRX, yep I was big into jap cars back then..... and turbo lag :floor: 10 years ago I used to wake up to this beauty .....

Hey Jonttt

As you have owned and driven many super/prestige/exotic cars.
It would be interesting to know what your favourite car experience has been to date?

And....If you could only have one, which car would it be? I'm guessing the 993?

Its a difficult question and one I debated with friends pretty recently.

The group discussion involved people with a lot of history of exotic cars and the easiest question to answer was if you could only have one car now what would that be, the answer was a FFRR which was the only car everyone agreed with.

As to what is the best car you have ever driven, that is the hardest to answer as it changes and memories of a car are so influenced by other factors. It could also be split in terms of driven once / driven a lot. I loved the 430 spider, drove it a lot and was the most fun "daily" I've had but as a daily it was obviously compromised in so many ways. In terms of driven a little it has to be a Veyron, so much engineering, such an experience, like nothing else on the planet. Bottom line its hard to answer what is the best car driven, as a petrolhead I simply enjoy driving and can have fun in a £500 beater or a £200k supercar.

I genuinely love the 981 BGTS, I really believe it is not only one of the best Porsche's ever built but one of the best sports cars full stop, it really is one of those rare cars that is more than the sum of its parts. Porsche really did hit the nail on the head with that car. The fact that its replacement (718) is so obviously compromised by external factors (emissions and meeting Chinese market requirements) can only mean that the 981 "Legacy" will only be enhanced over time. It will be the last of its kind and one of the real highlights in what Porsche could achieve with a sports car left to their own devices.

So with that said where would that leave the 993, there is no way to express that in words, driving it again for the first time in 18 months the thing that just smacked you in the face was how substantial, solid, engineered the car feels compared to any modern car. An aircooled porsche is an experience that simply is not replcicated by any modern car. The driving experience is just magic and the appreciation of Joe Public is unique. On Saturday I overheard a father say to his son "look at that Porsche", in the Boxster they would probably have looked but without a verbal expression of appreciation. There is just something acceptably "nice" about an old Porsche that very few cars replicate.

Which would I keep the 993 or the BGTS...... despite everything I've said the answer would be pretty easy, the 993 :thumb:

Good info....

I agree, 993 is definitely the keeper. Great car!

I have never driven the Boxter GTS and/or even considered it. However, with such a glowing review, especially from someone who has "been around the block". I think it may be time to break my duck.

Have you ever had a go in the Cayman and more to the point a Cayman GT4?

Have you ever considered any of the GT cars??

Mangoboy recently chopped his 997 turbo in for the GT4 and he seems pretty happy?

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=126630

I've just had a 718 cayman S PDK while my 981 was in for a service.
The 718 is one hell of a car, the only 'fault' is the sound, if it sounded like a flat 6 i would buy one for sure.
I's amazingly fast 350hp, torque right across the rev range, & the pdk is even better than my 981.
I can't work out wether also having a 993 with it's sound would make it easier of harder to live with the flat 4 noise of the 718.

Re the GT4 yes, but the 981 GTS is the better road car for me, at the end of the day a GT car is better on a track and too compromised for road use. I spent quite a bit of time in a 991.1 GT3 last year and the owner of that car chopped it in after about 6 months for that very reason. He went back to an RS4 which he finds much more fun for road use.

Re the 718, I really really don't like them. The noise is a big part of it but even if you can get past that the FI flat 4 is absolutely no comparison to the NA flat 6 in the 981 S / GTS. It is a typical small block FI engine with 'lazy" torque, mid range lag and ultimately as a drivers car far too much of a compromise compared to the NA engine. If you drive one as a daily its gets away with it due to the torque BUT drive it as intended on fast road runs and the lag, turbo overrun when braking (the normal cheat to keep the turbo spinning) just spoil the whole experience. The problem is the 718 is not such a bad car, probably still the best two seater sports car but compared to the 981 it is a massive step backwards as a real drivers car. a classic case of Porsche nailing it with the 981 and being forced to compromise with the 718 to meet both emission and Chinese market demands (they have massive tax charges for the larger capacity engines and its Porsches target market at the moment). Yes the 718 beats the 981 in a game of top trumps but experienced car nuts learn very early that top trumps does not make a better car to drive, else I would be driving a 488 every day ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back