Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 & 991.1 Turbo engines etc

Jcx

Hi Gang,

Are the same engines used in the 997.2 Turbo and 997.2 Turbo S? And are they both using the same cooling setup etc?

And what about 991.1 Turbo and 991.1 Turbo S? Are they the same engine that was in the 997.2 Turbo and Turbo S?

In all cases, if they are the same engines, how do they generate the additional power? is it 'just' the map as it is with many VWs? And how do they manage the extra heat generated by the extra power. Is there different cooling etc?

Thx

For the 997.2 turbo and turbo S it's definitely the same lump (9A1) and if I'm correct same for the 991xx. Aaand as far as I can figure it's used in the 991GT2RS with bigger turbos and IAT water cooling system.
The power gain variation between models is achieved with modified turbos and mapping. I think the GT2RS will have upgraded heads, bigger valves and higher cam profiles.
As for cooling I'd say the current configuration will cover the lot for engine cooling. Obviously IAT cooling is a different matter.
I'm by no means sure of this lot so I'll happily stand corrected :?

Norfolk & Idea said:
For the 997.2 turbo and turbo S it's definitely the same lump (9A1) and if I'm correct same for the 991xx. Aaand as far as I can figure it's used in the 991GT2RS with bigger turbos and IAT water cooling system.
The power gain variation between models is achieved with modified turbos and mapping. I think the GT2RS will have upgraded heads, bigger valves and higher cam profiles.
As for cooling I'd say the current configuration will cover the lot for engine cooling. Obviously IAT cooling is a different matter.

Thx Yorky. ;-) (thats a play on location and location)

What is IAT cooling?

And when you say there are modified turbos between models, is that with the 997.2 T vs. 997.2 TS ---or--- with the 997.2 T & TS vs. 991.1 T & TS? Or just with the 991 GT2RS?

From what I have read, the new GT2 RS sprays water on to the intercoolers to aid reduction of intake temperatures. I would have assumed that they would spray in to the charge directly, like with meth injection, but this is not the case from what I have read so far.

I don't generally read of changes in cooling systems even on quite heavily modified cars, other than fitting pumps and spray bars in the gearbox to aid oil flow and cooling in there. I have no plans to change cooling setup on my car for the next round of mods, but will be fitting meth injection to help with intake charge temperature.

MC

Jcx said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Thx Yorky. ;-) (thats a play on location and location)

What is IAT cooling?

And when you say there are modified turbos between models, is that with the 997.2 T vs. 997.2 TS ---or--- with the 997.2 T & TS vs. 991.1 T & TS? Or just with the 991 GT2RS?

The 997.2 turbo and turbo S are exactly the same. The S has a map to increase boost a tad to give an extra 40hp. All hardware (turbo, inter coolers etc) are the same.
I think it's a similar story with the 991 turbo.
IAT is inlet air temperature. It's a term associated with tuning. The lower the IAT the higher the power gains. Kind of.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back