Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jobs while engine is out

deutschland-dobson

Hi gang,

I'm preparing for the engine on the '64 coming out in the new year, to sort a leak to the chain housing on the crank case. It's in for major service at the same time to combine the labour.

While the engine's out, can anyone recommend some jobs that should be done with the resulting improved access?

Thanks
Chris

Oil breather gasket, Oil sender O ring, Intermediate shafe O ring, Crank nose seal, Timing chain dounut seals and gaskets. Highly likely the camshaft triangle gasket and associated O rings are shot but this requires retiming the cams. Check inlet stacks for cracks and replace stack bottom seals. New valve cover gaskets. Check clutch and flywheel condition, any oil in there means rear main seal or gearbox input seal. :thumb:

Oh and renew the engine sound deadening pad.

ras62 said:
Oil breather gasket, Oil sender O ring, Intermediate shafe O ring, Crank nose seal, Timing chain dounut seals and gaskets. Highly likely the camshaft triangle gasket and associated O rings are shot but this requires retiming the cams. Check inlet stacks for cracks and replace stack bottom seals. New valve cover gaskets. Check clutch and flywheel condition, any oil in there means rear main seal or gearbox input seal. :thumb:

Oh and renew the engine sound deadening pad.

Thanks for the list, that's great!

Forgot to mention the '64 had a re-build about 10K miles ago, but will certainly check the above :)

Im also going to paint and refurb a few bits as I go.

Chris

Chris, don't forget to bring it out and drive it for a while before you do 'more' work to it...... :grin: The next NE run is........who's organising? come on boys the sun won't last forever...me and KeithP are the die hards so far this year...

Porschekit said:
Chris, don't forget to bring it out and drive it for a while before you do 'more' work to it...... :grin: The next NE run is........who's organising? come on boys the sun won't last forever...me and KeithP are the die hards so far this year...

Ill keep my eyes pealed :eek:

Even if the car is in bits i'll just blag a lift and catch up over tea and cake!

Chris :thumbs:

I have just done this with my car.
Don't forget;
Power steering pump seals and belt
Exhaust studs and gaskets
New alloy washers on oil pipe fixings
May need to replace some engine tins.
HT lead clips
RMS and front worth changing whilst it's out.
Consider alternator and starter motor overhaul(Starters' a bitch to do when back in). Ask me how I know.
Replace clutch slave and flexi.
Overhaul clutch fork shaft.
Consider engine and gearbox mounts.
Driveshaft gaiters.
Check metal fuel pipes going to engine bay for corrosion.
Also metal brake pipes. (There is one that goes over the gearbox/ trans tunnel that cannot be replaced with gearbox in situ).

I replaced my clutch slave with an MPL unit and extended the bleed nipple down the side of the box for ease of access.

Thanks for the useful comments bud :)

A few are already taken care of, but loads more to do!

Chris

Take the deadening pad out and chuck it away. Loads more room to tinker then, and the engine sounds much better in the cabin.

Just a chance to give everywhere a really good clean.

PeterS said:
Take the deadening pad out and chuck it away. Loads more room to tinker then, and the engine sounds much better in the cabin.

Just a chance to give everywhere a really good clean.

Thought about it, then decided to take a Singer twist...

Chris :D

deutschland-dobson said:
Hi gang,

I'm preparing for the engine on the '64 coming out in the new year, to sort a leak to the chain housing on the crank case. It's in for major service at the same time to combine the labour.

While the engine's out, can anyone recommend some jobs that should be done with the resulting improved access?

Thanks
Chris

Me too!

Ghengis said:
deutschland-dobson said:
Hi gang,

Thanks
Chris

Me too!

Engine rebuild time Thomas? Who's doing the work bud?

Chris

deutschland-dobson said:
Ghengis said:
deutschland-dobson said:
Hi gang,

Thanks
Chris

Me too!

Engine rebuild time Thomas? Who's doing the work bud?

Chris

It's in with D&G Chris. They are doing a full rebuild.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back