Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes complete stuck on...

APL911

Hi guys

Washed the 996 and put it in the garage on Monday.

Gone to get it out for the weekend and can't move it!

I've give the callipers a knock with a hammer. Rocked it back and forth. It won't budge!

Anyone else ever had this? Any advice or ideas?.... :?:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=203798&sid=9d6db43d5e9e22740b6183a437c3ab35

Not an uncommon issue. Try and take her for a spin before garaging if it has just been washed, this may reduce the dampness on the brake pads.
It's damp this time of year, which doesn't help. You could try not using the brakes and let the car car come to a gentle rest when garaging.
I oçcasionally experienced similar woes, but not when I had ceramics.

My money would be on your handbrake being stuck on.. moisture makes them stick sometimes... try tapping the rear disc bells

Ah pzero beat me to it :thumb:

As PZero not unusual, pads bond to disc when damp after washing or when wet on road.
First time it happened to me there was quite a loud clang as they came free, very disturbing but no ill effects (yet)

I agree with all the above but would just like to point out a strange one that was similar ..

Psm kicked in on a round about and all the brakes locked on and stayed that way for 20 mins then all was fine .. untill the customer " used " the Psm again .. same thing .

Long story short theres a small rod in the master cyl that can bend ( new master cyl required ) .. the above is what happens if you use the PSM a lot !

Thanks for the response. Can't get it moving. Given up for tonight....

Do not wash the car and stick it in the garage, this can cause loads of issues with dampness and water retention.
Do not clout your calipers with a hammer :nooo:

I've had this happen and always try to run round the block first. My 996T seemed particularly bad and one one occasion took liberal use of the accelerator to free it. Bit scary as I enter my garage at an angle.
The other problem I had on that car when the PSM light came on was when I could feel the brakes being applied whilst driving, although foot was nowhere near pedal. After parking up to go shopping, on our return the car would not budge, and had to be relayed. In this instance the ABS unit failed locking the brakes on. This was not a cheap fix! At least it didn't occur when I was at speed.

Pour boiling water on the hubs.
The thermal shock usually gets them free again. :thumb:

I had this and it was that my bulkhead drain holes were blocked. Water had built up and got into my servo via the rod that Demort mentions.
When we got it off and tipped it up, brown rusty water poured out.
Second hand servo and unblocked my drains and all is well.

Doubt it's that though if it's only after you wash it.

My wife's old 2008 Focus had drums on the back (really, in 2008) and that used to seize all the bloody time. It used to drag the back wheels and all sorts before it freed off. I'd generally just rev it then stall it and they'd come off with a bang, but I wouldn't be so rough with my 996.

Good luck getting it sorted. It's all well and good saying wash it then drive it but if it's wet and dirty out there it defeats the point in washing it. :puh:

I just never put my handbrake on when it's in the garage anyway. Use a little chock of wood. .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back