Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 lower control arm diy replacement

Don't fanny around with hacksaw blades, I did that took me absolutely ages.

A tip I read somewhere (after doing the job) is to use a drill to drill through the coffin arm and bolt as near to the edge of the arm as you can get. Do it at either end, bits of remaining bolt should come out then.

Otherwise ... reciprocal saw? careful of your subframe though.

How ever you do it just dont put any sideways force on it .. so no levering and no trying to knock out the bolt with hammer/punch ..

The subframe just isnt strong enough for that .

I use an electric saw at work .. either way its not a pleasent job when they seize .

As already stated, no two ways about it, its a b*tch of a job that is awkward and will take time regardless of the method used.

Lots of methods suggested and I wish I had this info before doing mine, I settled on the hacksaw which took an age, I died a little inside

When cutting, and losing your patience because it taking so long :x be careful to only cut the bolt and arm and not the subframe, and when reinstalling the bolts cover the section that sits in the bush with grease.

May the force be with you :thumb:

I've just realised. If I'm going to be cutting the pins out, I will need to order new ones! Any ideas of cost or best place to buy? Design 911?

APL911 said:
I've just realised. If I'm going to be cutting the pins out, I will need to order new ones! Any ideas of cost or best place to buy? Design 911?

OPC.

MC

All done. Replaced the track control arms, track rod ends and fitted Designtek lowering springs. Very happy with the results. Now I just need to get the alignment done.

The pins in the lower control arms were not a problem. They came out easily. The ball joint cracker worked a treat. Went off like a gun!

Anyway. It was all relatively straight forward, and has saved me over a grand. Happy days. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back