Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Deposit paid on 1 owner 997.1 C4S with 29,000 miles

ozmikeuk

Hi All,

I've just put down a deposit on a 2006, 1 owner, C4S tip with 29,000 miles on the clock. It's the one on Autotrader listed for 32,950.

I'm sure I'll frequent this site daily, and hope to learn and contribute whenever possible!

I have a few questions already as follows:

(1) Have I overpaid :dont know: ? Prices for 997s seem to be all over the shop at the moment. I got a good part-ex on my car, and agreed a deal at 32,450. The car is immaculate with full Porsche main dealer history. The car will come with new MOT, 6 months warranty (Sytner warranty not OPC) and also a fresh service from Porsche (main dealer).

(2) On Autotrader, there is an advisory to say that this vehicle was either imported or used before first registration. DVLA show the vehicle as first registered on 10/4/06. Sytner have provided me with a print-out from the Porsche Central Service System, showing that the vehicle is a GB car, with an original invoice date of 3/23/06. I've also done a MOT search on the vehicle, and can only obtain MOT history dating back to 2014. I'm awaiting a copy of Sytner's HPI check on the vehicle which may or may not shed some further light.

If the vehicle is not an import, why can I only obtain MOT history from 2014, and why would there be an advisory on Autotrader? Also, how would I go about correcting all this...worried about eventual re-sale problems.

If the vehicle is an import, why would Porsche show this as a GB car? I'll need to rethink my purchase, or renegotiate the purchase price.

Hopefully, there is a simple enough explanation. I'd appreciate any input from forum members.

Thx
Michael

Sounds like its a C16 UK car so you're fine. Price seems fine too considering mileage although slightly toppy for a tip. If it was a manual I'd say its perfect price wise as tips always go for bit less.

ozmikeuk said:
I've also done a MOT search on the vehicle, and can only obtain MOT history dating back to 2014

:welcome: Michael

Reg change probably :dont know:

Got a link to the car?

:thumb:

Was the vehicle taken out of the UK from new and brought back in 2014?

I bought a Mk2 Golf GTI which was a 1991 car but showed as 1993 due to being exported from new.

Desert Dragon said:
Sounds like its a C16 UK car so you're fine. Price seems fine too considering mileage although slightly toppy for a tip. If it was a manual I'd say its perfect price wise as tips always go for bit less.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the document provided by Porsche states "C16 Great Britain".

In regards to price, and this is perhaps a bit of man maths, my part-ex vehicle is due 2 new front tyres, and also requires servicing in March '18. Given that the 911 is being serviced this week, save for any repairs required, that buys me 2 years of no servicing costs.

Unfortunately, I would have gone for manual, but my wife will need to use it from time to time and she doesn't drive stick.

jpsh120 said:
Was the vehicle taken out of the UK from new and brought back in 2014?

I bought a Mk2 Golf GTI which was a 1991 car but showed as 1993 due to being exported from new.

I hadn't thought of that. Although the date that the DVLA records this as First Registered is closely in line with the original date of 23/3/06.

With regard to the warranty of 6 months I believe the limit is £4k not bad but doesn't go far on a 911 .This is Sytners own, I know because I bought an M3 e46 which didn't fit their AUC scheme and had the Sytner select warranty.
Six months is standard but I insisted on a year and got it .Good luck.

ozmikeuk said:
my wife will need to use it from time to time and she doesn't drive stick.

Neither does mine anymore... :sad:

BEFORE we got married she used to love it :grin:

:thumb:

I agree should have at least 12 months warranty at that price. An OPC would give a no quibble 2 yr warranty with that car. In fact on the chocolate engine Porsche's like this one I'd insist on a 2 yr OPC warranty at that price or walk.

OP think about a PDK car if you can stretch to it. That engine mated to that gearbox is not Porsche's finest hour

I would second the comments of Desert Dragon. The views expressed on this forum are that a Gen 1 3.8S with tiptronic are at a higher risk of bore scoring than most. While an 06 may have the larger IMS bearing, it is still an engine with an IMS.

They also say that an older car with "low mileage" is at a greater IMS failure. This is an 11 yr old car. Assuming the average 911 does 6K pa, don't they say that if the IMS has lasted 50K it means it is unlikely yo fail. This car is under 30K.

Thx for all the feedback.

The mystery re the history of the vehicle has been solved. Although a GB car, it was bought and spent most of its early life in Northern Ireland. It is in fact also not a one owner car, as advertised. I'll be the fourth owner as opposed to the second owner.

In light of this, I negotiated the price down to £31,700. I'm happy with this price now, as the car is really immaculate, has extensive service history and I'm getting a good part-ex price....over £2.5k more than WBAC.

Re the suggestions to stretch to the PDK model of course I would love to, especially one with a flappy paddle, but sadly finances don't permit. I don't really fancy a car with more than 50,000 on the clock, as this will be my daily and I'll be putting 15,000 miles a year on the car. At the moment the cheapest PDK C4S either on Pistonheads or Autotrader with 50k on the clock is c£43k. The cheapest being £38,895 but with 99,500 on the clock.

Before I got to your last post I was thinking that it was probably an NI car.

Not very well researched/advertised by the seller, but I presume the owner details are probably from the date of registration on the mainland.

GARY S said:
They also say that an older car with "low mileage" is at a greater IMS failure. This is an 11 yr old car. Assuming the average 911 does 6K pa, don't they say that if the IMS has lasted 50K it means it is unlikely yo fail. This car is under 30K.
This car has the later designed IMS so all's good.

~ Maxie :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back