Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone fitted LED lights?

LOJO

Hi all,

There are now loads of LED lights available on Amazon and I am sure they would be a big improvement on my 996.

I saw a couple of videos on YouTube rating the different LED options, wondered if anyone has personal experience and recommendations - I really need headlights, but planning to do all the rest at the same time - park, brake, indicators, etc.

Thanks!

I had LED headlights on mine when I got it but they were not too good. I fitted HIDS4U lights, excellent. You will need a different fitting, the standard headlight clips don't fit over the LEDs, I used BMW clips off eBay, search HIDS4U for other threads.

I fitted eBay LEDs throughout the interior and rear number plate, if you like the bright, white LEDs (I do) they are a great improvement. Take care with the door puddle lights, some LEDs are too large in diameter to fit, you need 10mm dia max.

I have them on my 964 and my Cayenne.

Excellent.

With the Cayenne I need to fit a few resistors etc to stop the error messages, but a big improvement.

Huge improvement on my 964.

Dont buy cheap rubbish ones.

Forgot to say, I bought LEDs with built in resistors, they work fine.

Thanks Guys, that is really useful - seems like HID is still the way to go for mains! You probably saved me a load of fussing and disappointment!

I used HIDS 4 u on an old defender and a 3 series cab. A bit of a faf to fit in the defender but super bright compared to the candles they fitted at the factory in 1994. BMW was simple install. No issues with MOT on either.

Interesting that this thread pops up as I was on PIAA website looking for the wiper blades for the 911 and forgot they do lighting. How could I forget as they were plastered across the front of every rally car in the 80s.
It got me thinking about LED bulds for the high beam on my car.
There are 2 things that bother me on my car, both being old school light tech on the high beam and the indicators.
They went to the effort of putting LED DRL's and then old school orange indicator globes :dont know:
High beam different story as they may not have been so prevalent back when it was made.
Anyone done the swap on a 997.2? Any gotchas?

TIA,
FZP

Frank, depending on budget but there are several options for light upgrades on the 997.2

these guys do a HID upgrade and can also fit angel eye leds

https://bodyshop.uk.com/porsche-997-led-headlights-first-again/

or you could go for the new 991 style bigger halo but they are about £1000 a set. although as always autodoc seem to be the best price with an option of silver or black inners

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/headlight-insert-10533/porsche/911/911-997

there is also an upgrade for the DRLs available

https://sltech-auto.en.taiwantrade....orsche-panamera-gts-turbo-10-13-1118653.html#

Sorry OP for the partial hijack now back to the 996 :thumb: :thumb:

You can always count on Phil to come to a fist fight with laser death Ray guns on each hip and a thermonuclear handgrenade in the back pocket, just in case, when it comes to mods.
I was more thinking more along the lines of a bulb replacement for the high beam.m as its a reflector, rather than a projector type lens. My concern is that I don't want to have the ricer look. One guy round here had them on his 911 and looked appalling and dazzled you at th same time. Shocking really.
The globes for the indicators on the DRL should be an easy swap as least I think it should be

FZP said:
You can always count on Phil to come to a fist fight with laser death Ray guns on each hip and a thermonuclear handgrenade in the back pocket, just in case, when it comes to mods.
I was more thinking more along the lines of a bulb replacement for the high beam.m as its a reflector, rather than a projector type lens. My concern is that I don't want to have the ricer look. One guy round here had them on his 911 and looked appalling and dazzled you at th same time. Shocking really.
The globes for the indicators on the DRL should be an easy swap as least I think it should be

:floor: :floor: :floor: Ah a bulb , ok my only experience with just a bulb was on my gen1 which when it went to the OPC for an MOT it failed as I didn't have headlight wash and self levelling . So they changed it back to stock and I had to go down the road and get them refitted after I got the MOT . :nooo: so dont let a jobs worth MOT it if you do this mod :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back