Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mph display in tachometer window

dombo

The speedo in my '03 996 shows the speed in a little window below the dial. I have seen photos showing the actual (not average) speed in the central display window under the rev counter.
I have gone through the computer menu but cannot get speed to display like this. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks.

It must be in the owners manual, is it not? Or do you not have the owners manual? Mine is tucked away for winter and the manual is in the car, otherwise I'd look it up for you in my manual.

Gen 1 is in the rpm dial display, gen 2 is in the smaller mph display. Porsche changed the layout on the gen 2 yours is how it should be and can't be changed,

Sorry, was on my phone before.

Here you go:

Gen 1

PORSCHECLUSTEREXAMPLE.jpg

Gen 2

687367d1355337784-50k-miles-on-dashboard-50k-porsche.jpg

gen1 makes sense. You can see revs and speed in the same place, gen2 seems a loss of functionality, smaller speed readout and not in view :?:

Exactly - Porsche error.

So gen 2 cars can do 200mph whilst gen 1 cars can only do 175mph.

Gen 2 speedo had to accommodate the turbo performance.

I doubt many 18/19 year old 996's could still reach the factory top speed... I'm not volunteering to try either!

alex yates said:
Gen 2 speedo had to accommodate the turbo performance.

Still needs to go further :grin:

asterix_the_gaul said:
I doubt many 18/19 year old 996's could still reach the factory top speed... I'm not volunteering to try either!

Probably not as bad as you think.

A well maintained car can have the same power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efIJHf7h5kI

lovely 'rado vr, I had two (one scored bore).

asterix_the_gaul said:

Don't worry I've already tested that for you. Made 172 on the GPS and held it rock steady.

Possibly would have squeezed another couple of MPH out of it - but Bayswater High St is a bit uphill and I'd gone at it from the wrong end. Had to lift slightly for the speed humps at the start of the run too. Nightmare. Bloody town planners.

Aye, I think you'd be surprised. Fantastic engines these..

I personally also had 177 indicated in my old 996 4S whilst following my friend in his 3.4C2 doing the same speed.

Proper sports cars which maintain performance despite age as long as well looked after.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back