Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter tyre/insurance/old gittery

cliffbase

I am about to fit some winter tyres to my 997, i thought id ask my insurers (Admiral) if i needed to let them know.

As its impossible to actually speak to a human, i had an on-line "chat"

I was informed that yes i do need to let them know and it would cost me £19.50 to do so.

I replied that by arguably increasing the safety/traction on my car i was protecting the asset that they insure. - Its an administration fee of £19.50.

OK says i, ill leave the summer tyres on & slither around, i am after all very well insured by you guys.

They reply, we have made a note that no charge will be made for the administration of adding winter tyres to your policy.

Thanks, good but why did i have to moan to get it free?

So i was feeling ok, and then this happened and left me feeling annoyed:

Is there anything else i can help you with :)

Im not their 12 year old daughter, i dont want smiley faces from my insurers.

Am i officially an old git?

cliffbase said:
I am about to fit some winter tyres to my 997

Am i officially an old git?

err....... :?: ........yes :)

:grin:

I got stung £25 when the previous owner wanted his private plate transfered off the 911 to his new car. I nearly got commited to an asylum arguing that one.

An opportunity to get some extra dough out of policy holders in 'admin fees' is exploited by most companies now :nooo:

Best off not telling them anything that's not documented in your policy, eg: "you MUST inform us if you fit winter tyres".

alex yates said:
Best off not telling them anything that's not documented in your policy, eg: "you MUST inform us if you fit winter tyres".

Alex, This is usually covered by a comment like, You must inform us of ANY modification to the vehicle. They will use any excuse to turn down a claim if not informed

Mike

So define 'winter tyres'? All Insurance stipulate is correct size and tyre pressure. Is waxing it a mod, or putting lower octane fuel in.....or fitting a LTT?

I wouldn't regard winter tyres as a modification. I doubt too many people would regard Cup2s or some other semi-slick as a modification worthy of informing their insurer either. It's all about running a tyre appropriate to the circumstances :dont know:

I think that it would be very difficult for them to argue that winter tyres are a 'mod' - you've just changed the tyres on your car - end of. They happen to be a different compound/tread pattern

Sorry, should clarify, the winter tyres are on a different set of wheels (same size & still oem).

You have to pay an admin fee on every change you make.

You're changing your policy by adding Winter Tyres (to a new set of wheels) so I can see why they'd still charge you an admin fee.

My admin fee is £45 with my Insurance company.. Which I had to pay when I changed my number plate, even though it doesn't effect safety etc

It does affect safety - if you hadn't notified them of the change, your policy is void. Your registration is the only thing on your policy that links it to the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back