Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen2 Turbo - Exhaust Options

v8fettler

Hi Chaps, Im sorry if im repeating (couldnt find the search bar??), but what are my options for making the Turbo a little less discreet? (i.e. louder!).
I previously had an R32 Golf, and an S2000, neither were quiet cars, so I'm not used to this near-silent assasin.

Does this 'Gundo@ or 'PSE' hack work on the Turbo, or are the exhausts completely different? I've got a Tig Welder at work (the set, and the chap to use it...), so doing things like the Gundo/Banana/PSE hack would be simple enough, I'd even go so far as to fitting a valve so I can return to civilised tones at the flick of a switch.

Any help much appreciated as usual!

Thanks

The 'Gundo hack' isn't applicable to Turbos.

You have to buy a replacement system. I'll leave it to others less purist than me to suggest them. :D

Hi there

I went through this process earlier this year and spent many an evening listening to various exhausts on You Tube, reading reviews etc etc.

For a number of reasons I narrowed it down to 2, Kline and Europipe.
Both good systems and do the required job ( I, like you wanted a better sound ) in the end I went for the Europipe as I felt it had the edge on build quality. Comes with 200cel cats so no CEL issues and fitted perfectly.

Very pleased with the sound now and tend to drive everywhere with sports button on!!

Just a note that you may want to factor in a new set of O2 sensors as they are notoriously difficult to get out in one piece.

To offer an alternative POV, I would highly recommend the Kline exhaust ....

I noticed totally positive changes in the note and power delivery after figment of mine ....

I listened to all the YouTube sound bites possible before going for the Kline ...

Try to get a listen to one ....
I think 9E are agents now .......I don't think that you would be disappointed !!

m119cars said:
Hi there

I went through this process earlier this year and spent many an evening listening to various exhausts on You Tube, reading reviews etc etc.

For a number of reasons I narrowed it down to 2, Kline and Europipe.
Both good systems and do the required job ( I, like you wanted a better sound ) in the end I went for the Europipe as I felt it had the edge on build quality. Comes with 200cel cats so no CEL issues and fitted perfectly.

Very pleased with the sound now and tend to drive everywhere with sports button on!!

Just a note that you may want to factor in a new set of O2 sensors as they are notoriously difficult to get out in one piece.

I 2nd that for europipe -1st Mod I had done - it makes for a more involved and rewarding driving experience - great company to deal with as well :thumb:

Attachments

• 41b6615c_ab18_42bd_a2d9_de3dad83ae3b_173.jpg
    41b6615c_ab18_42bd_a2d9_de3dad83ae3b_173.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 4,664
Jcx said:
I say go for the SharkWerks XPipe which is a bargain replacement for the rear silencer. It'll make your turbo sound like a PSE equipped NA car.

Here is the 'before' video of a stock 997.2 turbo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdFm3mxDHU

Here is the 'after' video of my car... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K948xuZeeRo

I also attach my Total911 magazine review.
Yes, a noticeable improvement there. The Turbo will never sound as good as a N/A car (my 964 with decat and cup pipe sounded epic) but improvements should be saught. That X-pipe looks like a great and relatively inexpensive solution.

I have ordered a Kline for my Turbo after replacing all of the chocolate fixings on my original system and just couldn't bring myself to put the heavy, quiet exhaust back on. I have gone for 200 cell cats as I don't want any warning lights and am not interested in mapping.

Scholester said:
Jcx said:
I say go for the SharkWerks XPipe which is a bargain replacement for the rear silencer. It'll make your turbo sound like a PSE equipped NA car.

Here is the 'before' video of a stock 997.2 turbo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdFm3mxDHU

Here is the 'after' video of my car... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K948xuZeeRo

Yes, a noticeable improvement there. The Turbo will never sound as good as a N/A car (my 964 with decat and cup pipe sounded epic) but improvements should be saught. That X-pipe looks like a great and relatively inexpensive solution.

I have ordered a Kline for my Turbo after replacing all of the chocolate fixings on my original system and just couldn't bring myself to put the heavy, quiet exhaust back on. I have gone for 200 cell cats as I don't want any warning lights and am not interested in mapping.

Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map. In this scenario the Europipe would have been better in terms of no cels. I know guys who have the 200 cel Kline and still get cel lights occasionally.

Desert Dragon said:
Scholester said:
Jcx said:

Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map. In this scenario the Europipe would have been better in terms of no cels. I know guys who have the 200 cel Kline and still get cel lights occasionally.

The Europipe was double the money and plenty seem happy with Kline. I hope to get lucky with the cels situation but will address any issues as they may arise.
Yes, would have been interesting to see the dyno figures but it's a swap being carried out purely for the improved sound. The Kline looks quality also so I guess it will sell second hand quite easily if ever I decide to sell the car. I have decided to leave the old lambda sensors in the stock system so that should slip back on without issue and avoids the potential headache of breaking something on extraction!

Brilliant responces Chaps, Thanks you very much!

I didnt want to spend a fortune, but I'll investigate those suggestions.

This 'CEL' light, is this one fo the computers systems which monitors the exhaust?

I'm not bothered about additional power, or weight loss, the 500 is enough for now, I'm sure in time when I'm used to it I may change my mind, but as I havent driven anything but a 2.0tdi since 2013, it's scary enough for now!

Thanks again Chaps, very helpful!

Re Europipe or Kline.

We have fitted lots of Europipe but now concentrate on Kline, as we are the UK dealers. There is zero difference in terms of quality between the two systems. In terms of sound, I would say that the Kline is less shouty at idle and low speed compared to Europipe, but the Kline sounds better imo on boost.

However there is one huge advantage Kline has. It is modular so that means you can at a later date change the cat count or even go decat. This is one of the reasons we went with Kline.

If you need a price OP just shoot me an email or call us by clicking on our signature.

Ken

Desert Dragon said:
Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map.

Whilst an independent dyno test would be best, on their website Kline claim:

100cel = 16hp increase
200cel = 21hp increase
decat = 42hp increase

those are from just bolting the exhaust on & no mapping.

they claim their decat exhaust + remap = 75hp increase.

rabbitstew said:
Desert Dragon said:
Its a shame you can't dyno before and after to see if the Kline adds or in some cases maybe even loses a few horses especially as you're never going to map.

Whilst an independent dyno test would be best, on their website Kline claim:

100cel = 16hp increase
200cel = 21hp increase
decat = 42hp increase

those are from just bolting the exhaust on & no mapping.

they claim their decay exhaust + remap = 75hp increase.

Interesting their 200 cel has more power gain than their 100 cel exhaust which is more expensive :?

Desert Dragon said:
Interesting their 200 cel has more power gain than their 100 cel exhaust which is more expensive :?

Indeed. I suspect maybe they have got those figures the wrong way around as you would expect the 100cel to give you more bhp over a 200cel cat.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back