Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 C2 wandering steering at motorway speed.

APL911

Hi all. Need some quick advice.

9excellence have done a great job on my car. However at motorway speeds my steering wheel moves and wonders around just to keep the car moving straight.

I had decided to change the front and rear control arms as 9E have said the bushes are shot. It looks like a fairly straightforward job, save any seized fixings...

Could this be the cause of this? (I know it's hard to say with this small amount of info). Or is there something else the 996 is know for that could be causing this?

9E also did a full geometry set up, replaced the front shocks and top mounts and fit four new coffin arms.

Thanks

Antony

If the bushes are shot, that geo. was pretty much meaningless.

It'll be geometry out of whack as the bushes allow the tyres to move about.

Change them and re-geo.

I'm reading it that you've had that work done.

If so, it could just be that your wheels need balancing.

EDIT: Actually reading it again I'm not sure what you've had done. :?

If 9e did some of the work required and advised that other stuff needed doing why didn't you get them to do it :?:

Simple. I didn't have enough spare money to get them to do the control arms.
So I prioritised the coffin arms, shocks, top mounts and exhaust. Plus I should be able to do them myself.

Could something be loose ??? try checking the top mounts or bottom arm bolts ???

I remember years ago a friend of mind had an issue similar to that (not a porsche mind you) turned out one of the bottom arm bolts was a little loose... It was tight, just not tight enough...

If it wasn't doing it before then ring 9e and ask them to check, will only take 10 mins on a ramp.

Hope you get sorted :dont know:

Craig

cobrars said:
Could something be loose ??? try checking the top mounts or bottom arm bolts ???

I remember years ago a friend of mind had an issue similar to that (not a porsche mind you) turned out one of the bottom arm bolts was a little loose... It was tight, just not tight enough...

If it wasn't doing it before then ring 9e and ask them to check, will only take 10 mins on a ramp.

Hope you get sorted :dont know:

Craig

Good point. It was doing it before. Wheels are also not balanced, but that's not the problem. From the sounds of it, it must be the control arm bushes.

Depending on when it happens, could possibly be Tramlining. Does it do it no matter which part of each lane you are on?

Track rods :dont know:

If 9e have done some work on your suspension and now it's not driving right, shouldn't you just be asking them? :?:

alex yates said:
If 9e have done some work on your suspension and now it's not driving right, shouldn't you just be asking them? :?:

Not quite right. It was not driving right before it went to 9e. In their full vehicle check they recommended changing the control arms, but I could not afford it at the time. (£190+vat each). What I'm trying to figure out is if this could be the cause for the steering play and wandering at motorway speeds.
They didn't mention the tie rods in their inspection, but they are cheap to buy and relatively simple to change out so I'll plan to do them when I'm in there.

It makes little sense to have geometry when there are worn suspension components. From the looks of it, you will have another geometry done when the other bits you mention are going to be fitted.

You could also consider Chris at Center Gravity - his approach to geometry is to carry out a thorough inspection of all the braking, suspension and steering components for wear and tear before doing anything with the geometry. You can be present throughout so will see first hand the state of all the bits.
Best way to contact is via their website. They may be a little far for you - they are based in Atherstone Warwickshire - I did a 200-mile round trip to have him set up my geometry and he has guys that drive from Republic of Ireland, Scotland and French Riviera to have their cars set up with his expertise touch.
Well worth it.

Rear Sway bar bushes. For me was only noticeable at high speed, it was swaying at high speed. Get underneath back and try to pull long horizontal bar at rear of car left to right, any slight movement and there's your problem.

A previous car I brought they'd put the wrong size bush back on the car, being too large was not gripping rear bar. You don't need to jack up car, two bolts, one on each side, swap out and you're done. Find that when you start refreshing bushes, weaker ones give out once new in, but rear sway bar is where I'd start for 30 quid.

APL911 said:
alex yates said:

Not quite right. It was not driving right before it went to 9e. In their full vehicle check they recommended changing the control arms, but I could not afford it at the time. (£190+vat each).

:eek:

The parts are about £80-90 each inc vat and it takes an hour to change both of them including getting the car on the lift, making a brew and painting your nails.

All garages have overheads to factor into their pricing but that seems a bit salty to me.

Its one of those jobs which really isn't that bad to DIY but as with everything it helps if you've got the right gear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back