Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello! First time 997 Owner - Exhaust options

Hello!!

I'm very happy to say that as of yesterday I'm a very happy and excited Porsche owner for the first time. I picked up a 2005 C2S yesterday and I love it. Exactly the spec I have been looking for for the best part of a year...I cant work out how to put an image on here but if you like you can look on my Instagram of the same username and see how happy I look with the car haha!

Anyway, part of the spec was the PSE and there I was thinking that would be loud enough for me, but being a bit of a boyracer deep down, it isn't...I was wondering what options are available to me (without costing an arm and a leg) to increase the volume of that wonderful engine I noticed fabspeed make a backbox bypass pipe although I figured missing out all 3 silencer boxes might be a bit TOO loud, this is my daily driver after all (plus it said it doesn't fit the PSE). I then started looking at X-pipes to maybe just get rid of the middle silencer but all the ones I have found seem to either get rid of the cats which would need a remap and not go through an MOT or they replace the cats with sports cats which then makes it too expensive for me.

Any tips or advice on what I should be looking at and from where?

:welcome:

Pic's please :wink:

Dr Phil will be along shortly... :grin:

:thumb:

Firstly, check the PSE is working. Apologies for the noddy comment but the system can fail.

Secondly, it might be worth doing the cold air feed mod to bypass the helmholz chamber. This apparently adds some extra bark.

That would only cost you £100 ish so won't break the bank.

Otherwise, Phil will be along shortly and have you spending significantly larger sums :floor:

Depends on your budget but if you did want to stick on 200 cell cats and new back boxes an MOT should be fine and you don't need a remap.

Totally agree on a bit more noise though ... I have a C2S, fitted a full Kline exhaust with 200 cell cats and headers and it sounds so much better now! Not droney at all, just a nice deep rumble that screams when you hit the higher revs! Like a proper sports car should sound :) Managed to find it 2nd hand and in excellent nick so didn't break the bank but still not a cheap option.

Gundo hack will only cost you £200/£300 and makes big difference, I had that previously before fitting my Kline and it sounded really nice.

Congrats on the car. To post pics up you will need to resize the photo. If you only rarely use a pc like me then just download a pic resizing app and you'll be sweet.
As stated above, a bloke by the name of Phil997 will be along shortly who will be along shortly to advise how to make it sound awesone

todayimdriving said:
Hello!!

I'm very happy to say that as of yesterday I'm a very happy and excited Porsche owner for the first time. I picked up a 2005 C2S yesterday and I love it. Exactly the spec I have been looking for for the best part of a year...I cant work out how to put an image on here but if you like you can look on my Instagram of the same username and see how happy I look with the car haha!

Anyway, part of the spec was the PSE and there I was thinking that would be loud enough for me, but being a bit of a boyracer deep down, it isn't...I was wondering what options are available to me (without costing an arm and a leg) to increase the volume of that wonderful engine I noticed fabspeed make a backbox bypass pipe although I figured missing out all 3 silencer boxes might be a bit TOO loud, this is my daily driver after all (plus it said it doesn't fit the PSE). I then started looking at X-pipes to maybe just get rid of the middle silencer but all the ones I have found seem to either get rid of the cats which would need a remap and not go through an MOT or they replace the cats with sports cats which then makes it too expensive for me.

Any tips or advice on what I should be looking at and from where?

Congrats OP! 1 Year is a long time.

We need pics asap. :)

PSE is on my list too. Interesting regarding the sound. Can you put up a sound clip perhaps?

Morning gents, thank you for the intro :grin: :thumb:
OK are you sitting down and ready lol.
clearly you have been doing some reading and research and it can get quite confusing so to try and give you some ideas.
the 997 gen1 doesn't have the three boxes thats the gen2 what you have is headers leading into separate cats and then into the valved pse back boxes.
so gundo and rear box delete are not options . you can get fabspeed and the like rear silencer delete but you would lose the pse and it would be loud very loud :thumb:
my suggestions are as already suggested fit the induction hose with resonator cap and a bmc sports filter £160 and a really nice mod adds a small amount of bhp BUT THE REAL WINS are the engine breathes better and theres a nice induction howl.
now for the exhaust the first thing to do is to disconnect the pse control this will have the effect of having the exhaust open on loud all the time even at low revs
there are several ways to do this one is just disconnect it (guys who have done it will explain how) the other option is the carnewal control unit but its a few hundred and does the same thing as disconnecting it .
if after you have done this and you still want more then phase two would be to
reconnect the pse and swap out the cats for 200 cell either std or big bore the best place for these is topgear exhausts in Bridport have a look at their website then call Alex the sales director tell him your a forum member and ask for 10% off the list price feel free to mention my name. you won't need a remap and they will pass MOTS this will give you a louder note when pse is off and an even louder note when pse IS OPEN it will be similar to their vids on their site of their valvetronic exhaust which is effectivly an aftermarket pse but with slightly louder rear boxes than the pse.

Have a look at their prices and see if it fits your budget from memory the 200 cell cats are £450 std and £650 big bore

if you change the cats you will also have the benefit of a decent BHP gain.

hope those suggestions help and let us know if you need any more info. good luck getting the 911 to sound how they really should, but can be made to quite easily. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll get a photo up as soon as I can, I guess I will have to host a photo somewhere in order to post the link to it. I just put everything on insta but I'll see what I can do!

Brilliant thanks Phil, I notice you're in Bournemouth too!
The previous owner has actually already disconnected that thing already so the valves are open all the time so as you suggest I think maybe going down the 200 cell cat route, are the big bore ones louder or just a gain in performance or both? I'll check out Topgear Exhausts website now! :thumbs:

todayimdriving said:
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll get a photo up as soon as I can, I guess I will have to host a photo somewhere in order to post the link to it. I just put everything on insta but I'll see what I can do!

Brilliant thanks Phil, I notice you're in Bournemouth too!
The previous owner has actually already disconnected that thing already so the valves are open all the time so as you suggest I think maybe going down the 200 cell cat route, are the big bore ones louder or just a gain in performance or both? I'll check out Topgear Exhausts website now! :thumbs:

Ah hadn't realised you were Bournemouth , quite an active group off the forum in this area, have a look at the meets section theres a curry night coming up soon if you fancy joining us.
the std bore v big bore is more of a tone change rather than one adding more power it does but not significantly.
thats good that the pse is already disconected , topgear are only in Bridport so you could run down and get them to fit the cats.
Let me know if you want to catch up and chat about options over coffee :thumb: :thumb:

So, the easy thing to do, which is awesome, is turn PSE on all the time instead of having it actuate at certain speeds etc as designed. You should be able to google how to, and it's easy. Mine is on all the time and sounds fabulous. You really don't need any more noise than that!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back