Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic oil filter and gasket

queenmonkey

Hi guys I'm looking to buy a tiptronic filter and gasket for my 1998 996. I found something on eBay but they now tell me it's no longer available. Any recommendations at a competitive price?

You may want to try looking for the part within a mercedes search, I believe the tip box was sourced from them.

I'm not sure the gasket is available based on reading a post elsewhere from Ken at 9E that they make a bespoke gasket in-house.

You might be better off giving the job to 9E or exploring that possibility with them. I'm not certain they sell the gasket to external enquiries.

Also the tip box can develop oil leaks in other parts and 9E do several fixes fir tip box oil leaks as well as changing oil and filter for the tiptronic box which is not as straightforward as it sounds. I had the tiptronic box oil and filter changed in my Mercedes a couple of years ago by the Main Dealer at a cost around £300 and around 2hrs labour - they reset the gearbox ECU, examined the old oil for debris and any smell of burning from the friction plates, new gasket for the sump and its a two-stage fill process completed with engine at running temperature. On the MB box, it is recommended to use only MB transmission fluid with several disasters cited on the MB forum from people who used generic ATF rather than buy it from MB on cost grounds. It maybe hog wash but even MB dealer had said they had some boxes in the workshop that had non MB ATF fluid and had to pronounce the box as unserviceable to some unfortunate owners.

This is with MB tiptronic box in MB W211 and may not be relevant to the MB-supplied tiptronic box for Porsche.

Hi guys and thanks for your helpful posts I can see that I need to research this.

Yes it does look like some more research will help. I'd suggest a phone call to Ken at 9E might be a good start. He seems to be the go-to man for tiptronic gearbox work.

I believe a 1998 model will have a zf 5hp19 tip box and the later ones are mercedes boxes, if your research finds that it is in fact a zf box let me know because i have a filter and gasket that i bought for my 99 and never used. I also have 5 litres of fluid and a new solenoid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back