Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Y2K's arctic silver 2001 C2 3.4

Y2K said:
..... And the car desperately needs a clean. :what:

Well since the car was already dirty, I thought I'd do another track day before cleaning it. So, on Monday I went to Bedford Autodrome.

It was cold but dry with decent sunshine; fully booked with 80 cars, but the track was never too busy once the day got going. I hadn't been to Bedford for perhaps 5+ years; I had always dismissed it as being a track that's too flat with no features. However, surprisingly this time I found it very enjoyable.

And what's better than one 996 C2 on track? TWO 996s of course! Naturally we had to go out together and record some footage :grin:

https://youtu.be/TLWpdMsBu4E

Lead car: 2000 Carrera 2 (3.4), standard suspension, old Toyo R888, breathing mod, DesignTek exhaust

Camera car (me): 2001 Carrera 2 (3.4), M030 suspension, old Bridgestone S02A, Dansk exhaust

It was great fun having two similar cars on track together, but the marshals didn't like us driving too closely so I had to back off from 05:02 after being shown the 'Space Out' board (and then twice more). We were also shown the 'No Drifting' board twice in our short session - nothing heroic there, just mild oversteer moments. :)

Towards the end of the clip you'll notice a Ferrari F12 facing the wrong way (and then a drive-by).

The car again performed well, with virtually no oil usage after 190+ track miles; it returned with 9 mpg (12 at Thruxton) so I must have worked it a bit harder. For reference the car registered 96 dB with its 5 months old Dansk exhaust.

Anyway, on my way to Bedford my car got sprayed by the gritting lorry twice, so I'll probably call it a day now and sorn the car from December.

Looking forward to 2018 already.

Attachments

• pr_171113_msvt_ba_1144_30e_188.jpg
    pr_171113_msvt_ba_1144_30e_188.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 6,759
  • pr_171113_msvt_ba_1103_30e_192.jpg
    pr_171113_msvt_ba_1103_30e_192.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 6,759
  • pr_171113_msvt_ba_0764_30e_291.jpg
    pr_171113_msvt_ba_0764_30e_291.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 6,759
  • img_2672_40e_475.jpg
    img_2672_40e_475.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 6,759
Nice!! - I actually like Bedford, the straights are a little long for 300 Hp, however it has a good mix of corners and plenty of run off!!

How did you get on with drive-by sound checks? Any issues?

How do you mount your camera in car?

If you were timing, which you would not be on a track day, :) what would you be lapping at? :thumb:

Nice to see 996s being used properly! Re your Dansk exhaust - is it the 'sport' one or the standard as mine as the 'sport' and I was worried it may be too noisy for Bedford.

@ galahad
Mine is the quiet version. It's best if you pop down to your local track and get it tested before booking; from what I've seen on YouTube the 'Super Sound' Dansk is quite a bit louder.

@ crash7
No issue with drive-by.

Mount is made by 'fastfilms.co.uk' (now Roadhawk) but it had been discontinued for many years now. I was fortunate to find it secondhand a few years ago and only cost me £85.

No pic of it fitted in my 996, but below are when fitted in my Honda. I also attach two 'pet seat belts' to it, secured to the rear seat belt buckles as safety measure.

I suppose the mount can be made by someone who's handy with DIY / metalwork? Or contact Roadhawk for a group buy?

I didn't have any timing app :lol: There seem to be quite a few 'C2 track-dayers' on the forum, we should to get a bunch of 996s on track together in 2018 to compare notes. :)

Attachments

• photo_0887e_108.jpg
    photo_0887e_108.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6,337
  • photo_0886e_154.jpg
    photo_0886e_154.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6,337
Y2K said:
There seem to be quite a few 'C2 track-dayers' on the forum, we should to get a bunch of 996s on track together in 2018 to compare notes. :)

I'm hoping my car will be track-day-able next year, I'll be up for that !

Sundayjumper said:

:thumb: I can check out your new seats and cage.

Sundayjumper said:
Y2K said:
There seem to be quite a few 'C2 track-dayers' on the forum, we should to get a bunch of 996s on track together in 2018 to compare notes. :)

I am definitely up for this - let's get something booked up. Preferably after feb as I am having some suspension work done over the winter :thumb:

^^^^ :thumb: I've just sorn'd my car from today, depending on weather will bring it back out in March/April.

I'll post something once most TDOs have released their 2018 schedule.

I might be game for a track day. 😎
What's more important would you say:
Maximum power at 6800rpm or
Maximum torque at 4600rpm?

MMT said:
I might be game for a track day. 😎
Unless your tyres are fitted to the flywheel, the torque there is irrelevant...

MMT said:

I've had three different instructors on various occasions, suggesting using 3rd rather than 2nd on slow corners (for balance and smoothness).

Make of that what you will!

Y2K said:
MMT said:

I've had three different instructors on various occasions, suggesting using 3rd rather than 2nd on slow corners (for balance and smoothness).

Make of that what you will!

I'm no expert, but I did wonder similar myself. 👍🏼

Took my car out of winter hibernation last week and went to Anglesey. Would have loved to go to the RS day at Oulton Park as well but the tickets were sold out long ago, and annoyingly by the time people started dropping out, I had already made other plans :roll: I'll try again next year.

Anyway Anglesey was very wet, with lots of people spinning off and quite a few red flags. The marshals did a very good job though, recovering cars quickly. I spun the car twice, one at fairly high speed (75mph+) but managed to keep it on the black stuff.

We were also interrupted by a dead body being found on the beach next to the circuit, so we were sent away for an early lunch so the track could be cleared for the ambulance.

I let my friend drive my car as well, and between us we managed just over 140 miles on track, which wasn't bad considering all the stoppages. As a comparison, on a typical OPL dry day I usually do 180-210 miles depending on how fast is the circuit.

The car, as expected, performed faultlessly. I missed driving the car so here's hoping for a great summer.

Attachments

• img_3030_30e_212.jpg
    img_3030_30e_212.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 2,110
  • xsp_0295_118.jpg
    xsp_0295_118.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 2,110
  • xsp_0307e_492.jpg
    xsp_0307e_492.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 2,110

New Threads

Forum statistics