Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

s2000db said:
A couple of questions if I may....

1. Is the unit totally undetectable by an OPC during servicing/warranty (obviously I'd remove it before servicing), my car is still under OPC warranty and I don't want it affected in any way.

2. Is the hardware for the unit different from the original item? In other words if you were able to access and program the original unit could it replicate the functionality of the DSC module, or is it far more sophisticated than that??

3. Now you've had it for a while, anyone not like it/don't think there's much improvement??

Thanks for your help guys...

1. if you're worried it's easy enough to remove for a service
2. I think it is both hard- and software
3. Good question. In my view, it is an improvement to ride quality, while improving and enhancing the reaction time of the active suspension. But it does take some getting used to, as the car doesn't send the same clear signals back to the driver in extremis (as there's less roll, dive and squat).

I'm sure than one day, there'll be threads about wanting to drive a real 911 on passive suspension, because it's more analog, and you have more control over the weight shift, bla bla bla, and it's for poofters on the commute with tips and PDKs, not real badasses on a race track who want to change their own gears and go around corners without the nannying interference of software writers who don't drive the typical B roads I'm a driving god on, and so on and so forth.

Just speculating over here of course.

s2000db said:
A couple of questions if I may....

1. Is the unit totally undetectable by an OPC during servicing/warranty (obviously I'd remove it before servicing), my car is still under OPC warranty and I don't want it affected in any way.

2. Is the hardware for the unit different from the original item? In other words if you were able to access and program the original unit could it replicate the functionality of the DSC module, or is it far more sophisticated than that??

3. Now you've had it for a while, anyone not like it/don't think there's much improvement??

Thanks for your help guys...

Mine is a keeper lol. Of all the guys I know that brought them I have only heard 1 say he was a bit underwhelmed by it. Everyone else feels a noticeable improvement

I never noticed any difference, however, at the last Service Porsche Tech did say, your car car drives like no other I have driven, what have you done? :dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

:grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It is detectable when the car is hooked up for diagnostics as Porsche's software will not get the response it expects if they interrogate the PASM module. However for general diagnostics my understanding it doesn't alert people to its presence.

Whilst the processor is faster its debatable how much difference this actually makes as the oem suspension isn't as quick to respond as after market Damptronic items.

It does work brilliantly though!

Many thanks for your responses guys, it's very interesting and food for thought...

My first reaction, is that it'll be a much bigger change for those cars that need a 3 dimensional G sensor, as that's adding more functionality/control than what previously existed, whereas for the Turbo owners less so...

I'm still having a ponder...
:?: :)

s2000db said:
I'm still having a ponder...
:?: :)

I have a Turbo S as well and can only echo every comment/ review made above and would highly recommend.

My car is lowered on H&R springs (which rode pretty well) but it has improved the car a lot.......

It reduces thumps and crashing over potholes.
It improves handling around corners, feeling more settled and less roll.
It eliminates the slight bobbing sensation in comfort mode.
It makes sport mode usable on the road (I use it 85% now, when it was 15% before).
It only takes 5 mins to fit/ remove.

Downsides.....

Costs money, but it is Christmas :thumb:

Hi Dana :bye:

1) There's no residual trace as I understand (similar concerns). But mail them direct and triple check? They're very good at managing customer inquiries. Or check with 9E?
2) The internal hardware is different as well as the software. It is also adjustable and reprogrammable. My tech savvy friends say it's a very goood piece of kit. And as Martin (Hi Martin :bye: ) says the tech has moved on significantly in the 11-13 years since the original was developed. Just like our phones have.
3) It is. Significantly. By all means have a go in mine. (That reminds me I need to organise a meet :oops: ). I drive with mine in PASM engaged mode most of the time it's so good. And when off the ride is much much smoother while also being flatter. Noticeably so. It'll be smoother than your M4 I'm certain. Though it may already be!

I'm not a fadist by any means. But I'll be taking mine out for my next car if I sell. :thumb:

Hi Paul, many thanks for your reply.. :)

Yes good to hear your thoughts, and I'm starting to lean towards this now, but I've not driven the car much recently so need to get re-accustomed to its ride/handling.
You're right, the M4 is much sharper over the bumps, even in comfort, and this sort of device would be very useful for it...

So, anyone told their Insurance yet? :whistle:

Yes, a meet would be good sometime.. :thumb:

Really interesting read, some great posts.

For me the ride is one area which I feel could be improved. I have Sports PASM and really like the look -20mm but can't help but feel my ride is a little firmer than standard PASM, especially on U.K. roads.

I'm just coming to the end of my 2 year Porsche warranty as I bought an approved car. I've really had my value out of the warranty and am looking to renew for another 2 years so therefore have no choice but to keep standard. This seems like a great mod, I can plug and unplug as necessary.

I just wish I could try before I buy as it were. I'm actually in Washington next week and am probably going to head up to see Tom at DSC but unfortunately they don't appear to be able to demo. Although there seems to be a unified resounding endorsement of this product, I really would like to feel the difference first!!

Driver77 said:
Really interesting read, some great posts.

For me the ride is one area which I feel could be improved. I have Sports PASM and really like the look -20mm but can't help but feel my ride is a little firmer than standard PASM, especially on U.K. roads.

I'm just coming to the end of my 2 year Porsche warranty as I bought an approved car. I've really had my value out of the warranty and am looking to renew for another 2 years so therefore have no choice but to keep standard. This seems like a great mod, I can plug and unplug as necessary.

I just wish I could try before I buy as it were. I'm actually in Washington next week and am probably going to head up to see Tom at DSC but unfortunately they don't appear to be able to demo. Although there seems to be a unified resounding endorsement of this product, I really would like to feel the difference first!!

What area of the country are you as someone close to you may be able to meet up. :thumb:

Boba fett said:
I never noticed any difference, however, at the last Service Porsche Tech did say, your car car drives like no other I have driven, what have you done? :dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

If you didn't notice any difference, is that to suggest you're not happy with it and not pleased you parted with the money for it?

Driver77 said:
Boba fett said:

If you didn't notice any difference, is that to suggest you're not happy with it and not pleased you parted with the money for it?

:floor: :floor: no Boba didn't notice the difference because when he went to fit it he found he already had one fitted to his car :grin: :grin: which is why his tech has said he thought it drove so much better than other Turbos he had driven . :thumb:

LOL

Quite the contrary...

Please look at previous posts.....

The DSC is amazing, it does exactly what it says on the Tin !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back