Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NANKANG NS2 - 3 year/30k review

Alex

When I bought my 996 back in 2014 I had Contis all round. The fronts were getting down to the bone after 6 months of ownership and come MOT time I needed fresh rubber. Me being the least tyre snob ever and been happy with previous Nankang tyres I've had on various cars, decided to try a set, regardless of the usual ditchfinder comments littered all over the internet.

I've just fit some new Falkens on the front this afternoon and whilst updating my records, had a gander how the NS2s have done. I paid £110 for the both and had them fit on 19/08/2014 @ 91,360 miles. First impressions were they were no different in handling than the previous Contis. When I say no difference in handling, I have various roads and roundabouts where I live that I know exactly when I'll get understeer if I push the car too hard. These were exaclty the same as before. Although they did feel gripper in the wet than the Contis and due to their directional pattern (to disperse water outwards and reduce aqua-planing) I've always felt safer with them than standard pattern tyres. I've been to the south of France with them on 3 times in temperatures above 30 degrees and they've really stuck like glue in those conditions.

No apparent road noise from them, although may notice now I have different tyres on.

Would I buy them again? If I hadn't felt the need to want Falkens all round - yes deffo. Only went away from them for that reason (and the below downside).

Any downsides - the only thing I didn't like about them were the sidewall rim protection wasn't adequate enough, to the point the alloy wheel actually protruded slightly more than the rubber. My alloys aren't currently mint, but if they were, I'd go for something with a bit more rim protection.

So, overall:

Time lasted - 3 years, 3 months.
Mileage covered - 30,440 miles
Cost - £55 each (not including fitting).

Now looking forward to seeing how these Falkens get on as they're tremendous on the rear (on my 2nd set of rears now). Just FYI, the Falkens were £179.88 for the pair balanced and fitted.

NS2:

410FIIPGKeL.jpg

If you really managed 33k miles on a ***** set of tyres then you should be driving a Prius and not a Porsche :floor: :floor: :floor:

I've got Nankang on my Audi. Can't wear the buggers out and no noticeable 'ditchfinder' issues :roll:

AdeD said:
If you really managed 33k miles on a ***** set of tyres then you should be driving a Prius and not a Porsche :floor: :floor: :floor:

So how long do you get out your fronts? I've been through 4 sets of rears in the same time period.

Great tyres that punch above their weight....have them on one of my cars and they do a fine job 👍

Interesting post. Can you post the exact model ref for the tyres?

Looking on a few sites the choice seems to be Sportnex NS-20, or AS-2+, or an NS-2R -semi slick.

Paul

I think they were these:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyYy-iIDm1wIVg7vtCh38egCYEAQYAiABEgIuV_D_BwE&dsco=110&typ=D-102722&partner=1&partner=1&Country=UK&ID=sea_rd_uk_Froogle_Shopping&s_kwcid=AL!432!3!209143367941!!!g!!&ef_id=WfxkngAAAXhoEqWn:20171130093802:s

Good mileage out of those Alex!
You'll never convince the tyre snobs, but the rest of us can bag some bargains.

I've got a set of these for next summer.
Maybe worth a look Paul? Federal 595RSR. £390 per set. Half the price of Michelins and a great tyre. Maybe not the best for all weather freezing commutes but for a summer use car they're great.

Cheers Mark :thumb:

Those are perfect for frosty commutes. :grin: Nice and slick. Bet they're awesome in the summer too - good find :thumb:

I have always liked Nankang's...just because of the tread pattern :wink:

They stretch really well too :grin:

:thumb:

Ha, yep they could be fun in the cold.

While I'm on Alex, I know we've crossed swords on here once or twice, but it's mainly just banter. We're all here for the love of cars so no hard feelings. :thumb:

I was going to PM you, but I figure if I've given someone grief publicly, the least I can do is make the peace publicly. :grin:

Anyway, I'm being a bit nice today, I think I'm coming down with something. :wink:

No problem Mark, no problem at all. :thumbs:

I know I can be a bit 'prickly' but we're all in it together. I chat with 911towers a week or so ago has encoured me to pull my socks up and respect other members and their views.

Have a great day.......and keep nice. :thumbs:

I'lll be interested to see the mileage you get from the Falkens. I've been running Falkens for a few seasons now. I drive quite sedately, rarely faster than 80 mph and no drifting or silly stuff. I get about 12-13,000 kms (about 8000 miles) on a set of rears....worn to smooth. I changed my fronts out at about 25,000 kms (15,500 mils). They were not smooth yet, but didn't look like they would last through another set of rears and didn't want to risk the wet weather concerns.

No experience on NS2, but I use their road-legal track tyres NS2R on my Honda (all year round). The NS2R used to be a bargain but price has caught up now with other more established brands. Lots of great reviews on them.

Marky911 said:
I've got a set of these for next summer.
Maybe worth a look Paul? Federal 595RSR. £390 per set. Half the price of Michelins and a great tyre. Maybe not the best for all weather freezing commutes but for a summer use car they're great.

Used 595 RSR for many years, again good VFM track-biased road tyres.

Alex - which Falkens are you using ? I had FK451s all round and found them a bit "floaty" on the back, like they were constantly a bit soft. I've got Contis now and definitely prefer them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back