Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The more you drive, the better they get!

stuarts

Today, I've done 170 miles hooning around from Northampton down to Bicester, then back up to the midlands, looking at Audi TT's as a winter station hack.
What a fantastic day, alone, thrashing around, my 997 put such a grin on my face, loved every minute of the drive.
The more (and harder) I drive it, the better it feels.
Oh, and still not found a decent mk1 TT coupe, but believe they are out there :D

:thumb: cant beat a long hoon on a cold morning :grin: :thumb: even if the downside is having to look at Audis :floor:

Glad you had a good blast out. :thumbs:

Have a Mk 1 TT as a daily drive for the winter. It's my 7th Mk1/2. 2003 225bhp quattro with 101K miles. Have all season tyres which makes for a confidence inspiring drive in the crud, slime and wetness which is winter motoring. 8)

The negative is that the Mk 1 TT is a delicate beast, even with regular servicing, and an absolute money pit. :sad:
Spent about £4K on bits/repairs in the past 4 years and 40K miles :
seized rear calipers; seized front caliper; brake servo pipe rupture; engine top end pipes disintegrated; PAS pipe exploded; rusty sills; rusty tailgate; MAF; clutch pedal; various brake pipes corroded; new rear suspension arms; new rear springs/dampers; failed alarm; new front ARB; front/rear discs and pads; new cambelt/water pump.

Everything still works (touch wood), so even with all the issues, view this particular car as a good one. :lol:
Good luck in your search.

Thats a sucky winter hack. You need a lifted L200 or Hilux with huge AT tyres with wite lettering, bull bars and spotlights

My wife ran a 1.8TT for 10 years and it was not a money pit. Only non-standard issue was the failure of the pedal box, a well know VAG issue. Maintenance and servicing paid off in our case. Superb build quality.

R32 could be another option, same chassis, same Haldex 4WD. Nicer 3.2 6 pot engine... and a touch more practical.

Mine didn't miss a beat in 5 years of ownership. Faultless.

The return of Marty Wild said:
R32 could be another option, same chassis, same Haldex 4WD. Nicer 3.2 6 pot engine... and a touch more practical.

Mine didn't miss a beat in 5 years of ownership. Faultless.

Good call I ran one as my daily also ,great car not the fastest but the noise of the V6 is a treat .100% reliable for me too.

It's lovely to get out now and again in a 911, My daily is a S500 Merc and the contrast between the two cars is night and day.

Ive had a few TT's, 2 mk1's a 225 and a V6.

The Mk1 V6 was honestly a great car to own, cheap, reliable go-anywhere car.

The quattro was great to have in winter - there isn't many places i couldn't get too!

The mk1 is definitely a future classic and depreciation has almost stopped on them, so a few years and i doubt you'll loose much if anything on one.

I'd much rather have a mk1 V6 TT than a R32. It's the same engine but with a little more power too...even though its just a slightly different map.

Cheers guys,
Looks like I've found a nice 225bhp model, with fsh, all the usual jobs sorted.
Will hopefully pick up on Saturday morn.
Should be a bit of fun for the winter :)

I had a '99 mk1 TT 225 for a while.

The oil pressure warning circuit went in the dashpod.

I had to swap with a used dashpod, crack the pin code with VAGTACHO to code it up and set the mileage to the same as original.

So easy to adjust the mileage and add keys to them! 5 mins with a laptop. Be wary.

Lots of fun in the snow, and iconic looks - but ultimately mine was rusty (sills and boot), mine was 9 years old and Audi refused to warranty the corrosion.

It understeered (they softened the front bushes in an early recall taht also added the rear lip spoiler).

Agree completely, these cars get better the more you drive them :drive:

I used to love my old mk1 TT, great car, handling wasn't the best but nice cabin, quick enough and great in the winter in the snow and ice! Occasionally look for low mileage cars myself as a daily drive. I found a nice one with 30k on the clock, 12 years old for peanuts last year but it was snapped up within day, so there are some out there!

Well, in the end, I've gone back to my 'default' daily runner, a Golf GTi.
My best mate being the reason. He quite simply said "why have another coupe with sod-all room as your daily runner, get another GTi."
So I have, a nice mk3 16v with leather interior - I have a soft spot for them!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back