Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disaster

chriscoates81

Suzuka
So i thought i would swap over to my winter wheels today, however my locking wheelbolt key thought otherwise and decided to split into 2 pieces. Wheres best to replace them, direct from OPC and is all they need the VIN?

Cheers

Don't know whether they'll get it from the VIN. Does the key not have a code on it?It should do and they should be able to replace the key with the same one from that code.

I think that's all you need to do to order a new one as long as they were original with the car.
A tip Chris at Excel Wheels said when this happened to me, tighten all the other bolts up to take some pressure off the the locking bolt to save it breaking again.

The other things is to swing by a Porsche centre if you have one nearby as they usually keep a full set of keys then you can try them out to be sure you get the right one. Worth a call to check before travelling though.. People have been caught out with having a set of aftermarket locker and not realising..

Thanks all, im fairly sure they are original (they have as much rust as the rest of the wheel bolts :D ). It was actually the first one i tried to undo, i was toying with popping to my local OPC but its about 1.5 hours away. I have emailed them with info but no picture. Having a look at the key i cant see any number to specify what it is, is it normally done in pen or is it etched on?

If you cant see numbers either on the outside or the inside then you will need to goto an OPC and get them to use their master set.

These have numbers on and the one that fits will be the one they can order for you .

Alternatively have the lockers removed and standard bolts fitted in place of them .

Demort said:
Alternatively have the lockers removed and standard bolts fitted in place of them .

:yes:

Biggest waste of time ever - locking wheel bolts.

I had the same problem last year, the dealer matched it up with their master set, the problem was none in stock in Germany. Ended up buying a new set from them. And a free mug for my troubles.
Steve

alex yates said:
Demort said:

:yes:

Biggest waste of time ever - locking wheel bolts.

Youll get no arguement from me !

But i try to give alternatives :D

I have to get the dam things off on a daily basis .

They're totally pointless, I don't know why folk persist with them.

alex yates said:
They're totally pointless, I don't know why folk persist with them.
Folk persist so they can store the locking wheel nut 'key' in the boot :floor: so it's handy for the scumbags to nick your wheels :floor:
Oh and OPC can charge goodness know's how much when they sell them originally, not to mention replacements later on.
I took mine off and put them in my scrap pile :thumb:

When I lost mine several years ago I went into Reading, because that's my nearest main dealer, and they found a spare one knocking around in the workshop that they gave me FOC :thumb:

I've had a response now, go in and check. So I'll have to nip there on Sat morning.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back