Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting issue

inchyra

Trainee
Here's the thing. I've got an intermittent starting problem that the independent I bought the car from can't identify so I wonder if the symptoms sound familiar to anyone??

First sign of trouble was that there was no activity from the starter motor when I turned the key. Turned it twice. On third time the starter turned briefly, the engine fired but died immediately. Fourth time started normally.

Independent investigated and said no issues with the cable or the starter motor.

No further problem for 2 weeks until today when on turning the key the starter turned briefly, engine fired and died immediately. Turned key again and again brief starter action, engine died immediately. Third attempt starter turned normally and engine started normally.

Now faced with either taking the car to an OPC and risking expensive 'no fault found' or driving around wondering if it will fail to start completely sooner or later.

Anyone had this??

Chris

Thanks for the rapid reply! Is there any test to determine whether the problem is the power distribution board? All the appropriate lights come on when I turn the key. And I don't get any error messages , and the independent said no codes recorded. They thought it might be related to the switch (?) which recognises that I've depressed the clutch?

Thanks again. I wish you were more local to me! Can you recommend anyone in the Coventry area?

Chris

If clutch switch then hold the key in the start position .. after a few seconds you will get a message saying depress the clutch .. that tells you its faulty .

To check the power board pin ..

Remove the negative lead ..
Remove the battery clamp " 13mm bolt "
Pull the battery to the o/s ..

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH THE NEGATIVE LEAD CONNECTED.

Long screwdriver and press the red tab down on the end of the + lead .. see my link for pictures .

Use said screwdiriver to move back the lead off of the pole and look for corrosion .. is it brown basically .

If nice and shinny then its fine .

For an ignition switch fault then you wont normally get the ignition lights on when you turn the key .. you have to turn it on and off to get the lights and finally start the car .

There are several faults that can cause this but so far this is what im thinking .

Im afraid being in Brighton i dont know garages in Coventry .. sorry young man :)

I had a very similar problem although it was with a ranger rover not my Porsche.
Turned out to be a bad earth, might be worth checking since it's a quick and cheap fix.

Early 997 cars had a factory recall for a better earth lead. Many cars were taken out of main dealer servicing and missed this upgraded earth lead change at main dealers. This may be a possibility in your case.

Try PCT cars at Allesley, Coventry. I have not used them but met a fellow turbo owner at a meet who had used them and remarked he had been happy with them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will attempt to check the leads / power board before I take it to another garage. Intermittent faults very frustrating and take the edge off enjoying the car!

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back