Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

Work of art Chiefy baby :flowers:

PeterS said:
You aint 'arf putting some effort into that. It is going to be a word of art.

I'm sure it would be easier to sort out world peace.

Just off to sort out Mugabe, then i'm right back on it :grin:

Thanks Keith, I trust you are keeping fit and well sunshine?

Thanks Kas, yours is coming along a treat!

Just a few photos of progress this weekend. I appreciate is doesn't look like much but the hours spent scraping off underseal then cleaning over with white spirit is insane. I have removed so much of the OTT factory white seam sealer I recon i've dropped the car weight by a few pounds and proberly the same myself :grin:

So one wheel arch clean and ready for etch primer.
This really is soul destroying stuff. It took an entire day to get to this!

In the interest of keeping my sanity I decided to move onto something different. To that end I dived into the rear engine lid. The catch plate holder had broken and some bright spark just drilled two holes and put the worlds tiniest set screw and nut to hold it.

This welded back on and the holes puddle welded I moved onto removing the hinge stay. This needs to be removed to allow for the next modification.

This will now allow me to punch louvers into it. This should aid extra air for the 911 fan to suck at!
Also it should look killer!!

And onto the outer sill covers. I've had these shot blasted to see what condition they are in, which isn't too bad. I need to do some beating on one which has seen some action....

Again a lot of work to do here with making up the extension from the wheel arch, but this can be done as a stand alone project. Just need to see if my pal Toby has a louver punch I can use :puh:

So another weekend gone and a step forward me thinks. Lots of work left to do. But as i've said this is more of a pilgrimage than a project.
All the best,
Chief

Hi Chief,

I've said it before but this is top, top work for a DIY'er.

Absolutely spot on mate :worship:

Cheers,
paul

Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate all your comments.
What with Christmas and all, i'm somewhat behind where I would like. However I am plodding on :grin:
I have been doing a lot of cleaning on the rear arch as i did on the front to get ready for primer.

Still makes me smile every time I go into the garage to see this hovering lump!

So after many hours scraping and wiping with white spirit we end up like this.

Could eat you Christmas Dinner offa that :puh:

All this has just about done me in. So I have just blown some etch primer over exposed bare metal and have moved onto something different for my own sanity!

I have used some weld through primer where the jacking point will be welded on. You can see this as the copper coloured bit towards the back.

Next project is to refreb the 911 fan and housing. These are five blade off a 1976 car. Quite rare as Porsche only used this for one one model year, then went to the eleven blade version.

So I etch primed after a good clean. Then used liquid metal at a filler. This should fill all the little pit holes but be fine with the high temperatures associated.

Primed, then onto filling all the little pits I missed first time. They look a mess but all will be fine in the end....

I have just re-primed these and am cooking them on the radiator in the garage. With the fumes and the cold I thought i'd call it a day :grin:

Log burner on and a hot cuppa. It is Christmas after all guys :bye:

Great stuff, i used liquid metal on my exhaust flange recently , its still holding it together ..... Happy New year Chief :thumb:

I'm really enjoying watching you graft Chief now that mine is done :grin:

Well done mate :worship: :thumb:

Great stuff mate. I will check it out when Im back from the sunshine.

👍

Have you tried POR Metal Ready Chief (I see they have changed the name) have used it for years and its excellent for quickly protecting a bit you have just cleaned from flash rust if you dont want to prime it at that particular time.

any reason you went with the 5 blade fan ? its a lot less efficient thought you might need the cooling for your cooking motor.

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-prep-...MIg9uGx7ys2AIVY7XtCh34mQC2EAAYASAAEgLXz_D_BwE

Thanks everyone :thumbs:

Gaz,
Thanks for the heads up re the POR. The whole lot needs priming before stone chip so patching isn't the end of the world.

After much research the five blade fan fits the purpose.
With aircooled engines, you can have as much problem over cooling as over heating. The eleven blade is just overkill even with messing with the pulley size. I did toy with the idea of opening the back of the fan shroud and placing the oil cooler there to suck up the over cool but was worried about turbulence of the airflow. The five blade 'I' think should be a good compromise. I'm still messing with the oil cooler placement. I'm currently looking at under the rear wheel arch with an electric fan to help out.

As always, your attention to detail boggles my mind Chief :worship:

I look forward to seeing her in the flesh mate :grin:

Looking sweet chief, it'll be rather quick when it finished 😳

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back