Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Super cheap fix for turbo tandem pump cover corrosion!

drabux

At the moment the only option for a rusty vacuum tandem pump cover is either (a) a new £1k pump or (b) a cover for £225 from ACP. The reliability of the latter is unknown while previous iterations of this design from the likes of Nienmeister proved to wear prematurely. But there's another solution.

The key dimensions of the Pierburg pump cover appear to be generic. This one, at least, has exactly the same dimensions: BMW 1-Series E87 118D M47 vacuum pump 7791232 I bought one from eBay for just £10.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-BMW-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The only modification required to make it fit is the cutting off, re-positioning and then welding of three of the four bolts holes on the cover.

To do this: make a template up from the old cover. Cut off the bolt hole tabs from the new cover. Position them correctly according to the template. And then weld. Check that the tabs lie flush with the base of the cover and do not protrude. 15 minutes work.

The cover itself is slightly elliptical and the pump blade is designed to move laterally. The advantage of this is that any small imperfections that may have occurred in the centralisation of the cover on to the pump will not matter.

I do not know whether the cover would also fit a n/a 997 (with bolt holes modified) but my guess would be that it would.

That's seriously worth more consideration , as especially the Turbo the tandem pump is very expensive :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back