Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Incoming - GTS2 ordered

Pleased that you found today's test drive useful, we all feel different about certain options and there is no right and wrong in most choices. I drove the -20 PASM more than the -10 and thought it a little too firm at normal road speeds. I'm hoping my decision to go for the -10 with PDCC to keep it in check will be the ideal setup for me.

Too late for me to change anyway, my car has arrived at the OPC and the annoying thing is I'm not free to take delivery until first weekend in August.

Kiernan said:
Engine - Loved it. Still has a 911 sound whilst at the same time obviously a turbo. I thought it had plenty of grunt, even at the top end where many turbos run out of puff. Sure it sounded different to earlier 911's, but still a really nice sound. The GTS is supposed to sound better than the standard carrera, so it's a thumbs up from me. I also took my brother out for a spin (he's got a 991.1 C4S with the sports exhaust) and he also approved, so he knows what he's getting next; in fact, he was so taken with the spec of the demo car that he's asked me to see what they'd be looking at to trade his car against the demo when it comes onto the market.

The sound is good, but for me it's some way shy of the 3.8. There's a back road I use on my way to work when the mood strikes. I used to be able to bathe in the sound of the 3.8. Thus far the GTS sounds agreeable and cultured, but I think it's lacking some of the 3.8's emotion. Then again, you never gelled with the sound of your 991.1 - so its all personal preference!

Response and power wise I think the 3.0TT is better than the 3.8. My 3.8 had a little hesitation on cam change on light to moderate throtttle loads. I got used to it, but it always annoyed me. 3.0TT doesn't seem to suffer from the same thus far.

Kiernan said:
Steering - Miles better than my M4, and really responsive. This may have been influenced by the next point.

My e92's are a distant memory now. All I can say is that in six years of e92 ownership I seldom took the back road I mentioned above. There is rarely a day I dont in the 911. Not sure I ever really hooned my M3 CSL up there either... would have cost too much at the Osteopath and Dentist afterwards!

Kiernan said:
Chassis - The rear axle steering was noticeable in some tight corners, and seemed to make the car more responsive. Not a night and day difference as the car is really good without it, but certainly worth the cost - that's now been added to the order.

The C4 GTS definitely dives for apexes more eagerly than my C4s did. Could be rear wheel steer - I suspect a C4 GTS with RWS feels a lot more like a C2 GTS without RWS if you see what I mean?

Kiernan said:
The suspension is more of a moot point - the car was running the standard -10mm PASM and it felt really nice, verging on the supple on some roads. However, I felt in a couple of corners that it could do with a wee bit more control, so for the time being the -20mm is still on the order. The other thing is that I want the full-on GTS experience, so don't want to water it down unless necessary.

Same here about not wanting to water down the experience. I think you will find the -20mm gives you all the control you want. It isnt a bone shaker, there just isnt much 'float' and it reacts instantly to changes in the road. Somedays that is fabulous, other days not so much! Depends on the road and my mood!

Kiernan said:
I've changed the order back to the standard alcantara wheel and gear lever. Hey, it's always good to reduce the cost wherever possible.....

The alcantara wheel is lovely. Like the suspension though I think the extra feedback I think you get from it is sometimes welcome, sometimes not. It also gets pretty hot on warm days!

Kiernan said:
However, I found the standard sun visors a bit cheap, and stood out against the alcantara headlining. Of course, Porsche can fix this for £291 by covering them in alcantara. They've now been added!

I have the alcantara visors as well. It didnt seem right not having them with the fuyll GTS interior. I also went for the leather on the steering column which comes with the same constrast stitch as the rest of the car and just adds a touch more class.

Kiernan said:
Other than that, really enjoyed my time with the car and the proper 'sports car' feel. I'm not going to start slagging off my M4 as I think it's a fantastic car, especially for the money, but the 911 just feels that much better.

Now just got to find out when Porsche can build me a car.

You will be a happy chap. Seems like my main concerns on engine sound and ride aren't really concerns for you so I suspect it will be a total homerun! :thumbs:

Just a quick update - managed to drive a C2S manual at my OPC with the -20mm PASM sport yesterday.

From some of the comments on here I was slightly concerned that it would be too firm for road use, but in fact I was pleasantly surprised. As those who have this set up will now, it's firm for sure, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. The car had 6000 miles on the clock, so it may have loosened up slightly in that time. We purposely went down some bumpy roads, as well as those with speed bumps, and in the softer setting it was fine as long as you didn't go too fast. The upside of this is that handling on the back roads and roundabouts was absolutely fantastic; so precise and responsive.

So glad I've tried the PASM sport as I think you'd miss out on one of the things that makes the GTS so special by going for the -10mm PASM (apologies to those who have chosen this set up - just my opinion!).

The manual gearbox seemed much better than my old 2013 C2S, so overall it just confirmed that for my needs, I've made the right choice.

Also go the PEC drive booked for 23/08, so although I've still got to wait the best part of 3 months, I'm getting quite excited already.

Anyone know how often delivery times can come forward - I want my car now!

Kiernan said:
Just a quick update - managed to drive a C2S manual at my OPC with the -20mm PASM sport yesterday.

From some of the comments on here I was slightly concerned that it would be too firm for road use, but in fact I was pleasantly surprised. As those who have this set up will now, it's firm for sure, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. The car had 6000 miles on the clock, so it may have loosened up slightly in that time. We purposely went down some bumpy roads, as well as those with speed bumps, and in the softer setting it was fine as long as you didn't go too fast. The upside of this is that handling on the back roads and roundabouts was absolutely fantastic; so precise and responsive.

So glad I've tried the PASM sport as I think you'd miss out on one of the things that makes the GTS so special by going for the -10mm PASM (apologies to those who have chosen this set up - just my opinion!).

The manual gearbox seemed much better than my old 2013 C2S, so overall it just confirmed that for my needs, I've made the right choice.

Also go the PEC drive booked for 23/08, so although I've still got to wait the best part of 3 months, I'm getting quite excited already.

:thumb: Great to hear Kiernan. I loved the SPASM when I drove the GTS with it at PEC in May and it a great session to get to explore the cars handling during that session.

I agree the manual is an improvement over the MT in my 2013 C2S and look forward to getting the car.

I have had several conversations with OPC and my has pretty much stayed on track for build, it is due to complete Sept 14 and due at dealer approx 10 days later. I am so glad work is busy to take my mind off it, but no doubt as mid September approaches it will be agony, good job I have two weeks work travel booked. But that does mean I won't be able to pick up it till end of Sept at this rate which will make it worse as soon as its ready at OPC.

Kiernan said:

Mine was due second week in July and arrived last week in June. It was pretty much on schedule through the build (-2 days I think), but the time allowance for it to get from the factory to the dealer was about 3 weeks. It took 1!! Hopes yours does the same.

MarineTraffic is an awesome website for tracking car transporters. I got quite obsessed watching what was leaving Emden for Sheerness!

weejimmy said:
Mine was due second week in July and arrived last week in June. It was pretty much on schedule through the build (-2 days I think), but the time allowance for it to get from the factory to the dealer was about 3 weeks. It took 1!! Hopes yours does the same.

MarineTraffic is an awesome website for tracking car transporters. I got quite obsessed watching what was leaving Emden for Sheerness!

Thanks for that. As I mentioned on your thread, the car's due to leave the factory 23/10, so fingers crossed I should be able to pick it up in the first week of November.

Could be worse , as I've still got a drive down to Monza for the GP in a couple of weeks time in my M4, so I'll hardly be slumming it. Then I just need to sell the BMW when I get back to fund the new purchase.

Kiernan said:
Could be worse , as I've still got a drive down to Monza for the GP in a couple of weeks time in my M4, so I'll hardly be slumming it. Then I just need to sell the BMW when I get back to fund the new purchase.

Monza is brilliant. Chaos, but brilliant. A mate I drove my S1 elise there and back in 1999 (the Hakkinen crying in the bushes race) with the top off all the way. We came back via the Stelvio pass. This we did something like 11 countries on the round trip. Happy days!

GP was mad though. Probably better organised now but the signs for the grandstands were hand written in A4 paper in with marker pens. The seats weren't seats at all, they were benches with numbers painted on them. Our grandstand was full of people without tickets sitting on the stairs. The Italian army marched them off the left hand side of the grandstand on the warm up lap. They all came back up the right hand stairs less than a minute later!!

I recall trying to get through the tunnel under the main straight. It was a seething mass of bodies all pushing and pulling each other in different directions! We got half way through only to find cars and mopeds were in the middle of it all as well! Insane.

I also recall queueing up for nearly an hour for a coffee - only to get a single shot expresso.

Oh, and the local turns up with saws and axes and cut down the trees to make temporary platforms to watch from in the wooded sections. Or at least they did in '99!

Just lovely to pick up the warmth of sun there though with the UK beginning to turn to Autumn and by FAR the most atmospheric away GP I've been to ... and I've done most of them!

Walking the track afterwards was special. Very special.

Enjoy!

PS - We managed the entire route with the roof off only to be hit by a biblical downpour as we came off the euro tunnel in the UK. It was like someone was standing on the bonnet with a hose directed into the cabin. At that point we gave in and put the roof back on. And immediately misted up! Those early S1 Elises leaked like sieves and the fan had three speeds. Useless, Useless with noise, Useless with more noise!

99_1.JPG

Old Pits at Reims

99_2.JPG

Scrum under the main straight

99_3.JPG

Ascari 'Grandstand'

99_4.JPG

Viewing platform!

99_5.JPG

Anything that wasn't bolted down went...

99_6.JPG

Stelvio

99_7.JPG

Stelvio

99_8.JPG

A bearded Elise! Should have kept that plate, but sold it with my S2...

PS - Sorry for the hijack, but Monza is MONZA!!! :thumb:

weejimmy said:
PS - Sorry for the hijack, but Monza is MONZA!!! :thumb:

No need to apologise, it sounds like a great trip and I'm really looking forward to it.

We plan on doing Stuttgart on the way down to get a morning at the Porsche Museum (I'm going with a bunch of Porsche owning friends so this part of the trip is mandatory), then we'll go through the black forest as I understand the roads around there are fantastic. From there we're then doing Switzerland and then on to Italy, so the Stelvio Pass is also a must do.

Hopefully the GP wil be a bit better organised by now, but from what I've read it's still totally mad.

Coincidentally I also used to have an Elise, although mine was a Series 2 111S. Great car on the B roads, but like yours, mine leaked like crazy in the rain and after a while I changed it for something more useable.

Thanks for your post, and I'll try and report back after the road trip.

Damn, drat and blast!

Been told by the OPC that my car has been delayed. The original factory departure date drifted a couple of days from 23/10 to 25/10, but that was hardly a problem. Was therefore hoping that the car was now en route and that I might be able to take delivery towards the end of next week , but that's not going to happen now. The system is currently showing that it won't leave Zuffenhausen until 16/11 so realistically we're now looking at December.

Just checking with Porsche GB for the reasons, but I'm fully expecting it to be the Porsche Exclusive painted vents. This is something that Palmball mentioned in an earlier post when I first placed my order. Seems that they don't factor that in when giving an estimated departure date, but when the car is ready to leave the factory, somebody spots that it needs to go somewhere else, so it's whisked away and 3 weeks are added. Appreciate that there's nothing I can do about this sort of thing, but it seems a really poor way to treat a customer on what, at the end of the day, is an emotional purchase. Have they never heard of managing expectations?

I've never waited 5 months for a car before, so hopefully the wait will be worth it when it finally arrives.

Yippee, we're almost there. This turned up at the OPC yesterday after almost 5 months of waiting.

The rear wheel got damaged in transit (a few scratches), so they've ordered a new wheel from Porsche GB in Reading who thankfully have them in stock. Next Thursday is the big day, so only 5 more sleeps.......

GZlkZoiM.jpg

80hoHALN.jpg

CXFyhKZU.jpg

Very nice :thumbs:

It looks very nice in the flesh, congratulations mate 👍👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back