Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension Dilemma!

C4-STORM

The dilemma I have is this:

Keep her stock?

Or

Lowering kit and additional spacers?

..I think the arches need filling! However the Basalt paint disguises this somwhat.

If I decide to lower can I just replace the springs and keep the OE shock absorbers? If so, any good suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune if I go this route and defo want to stick with a factory type spec as I am keeping a few quid aside for any more serious issues which may occur.. :-|

Attachments

• image_253.jpeg
    image_253.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,872
  • image_284.jpeg
    image_284.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9,872
Is it a 40th-anniversary model?

I would keep it stock, if it is. It really doesn't look that badly in need of slamming (do they have M030 as standard?) and black helps.

However, you can just change the springs (and keep the old ones) if you don't go too low.

I have to admit I thought my C4s needed to be just a little bit lower so if there is 25-30mm springs available try that if your shocks are in okay condition. Spacers for sure IMO regardless of lowering or not.

EGTE said:
Is it a 40th-anniversary model?

I would keep it stock, if it is. It really doesn't look that badly in need of slamming (do they have M030 as standard?) and black helps.

However, you can just change the springs (and keep the old ones) if you don't go too low.

Hi EGTE.

It's not a 40th Anniversary model. Pretty standard spec as well from what I can tell. No MO30 kit either. If you zoom in to pics you will see the huge arch clearance, the black bodywork helps to disguise as a plus!

coullstar said:
I have to admit I thought my C4s needed to be just a little bit lower so if there is 25-30mm springs available try that if your shocks are in okay condition. Spacers for sure IMO regardless of lowering or not.

That's what I was thinking regarding a spring kit. I am however a tad confused on spacers as the rears already have the standard spacer. A slight drop and track widen all round is kind of needed I think

I went with the M030 on my C2. It is a good price and although not original spec, it is OEM. If you have some miles on the car the shock absorbers would benefit from being changed.

MC

Go with what Mc said.

I have mo30 on my boggo c2 I just bought and now it has the 18 inch turbo twists and right off set it sits right with arches filled

I am not a fan of spacers myself as they can put extra load on the hubs.

Your call really.

I'm in the keep it as is camp, that's a lovely looking car. If you do them M030 is way to go

I seriously considered M030 but decided against it as on a C4S you are not likely to notice any real difference in ride height, and although good value considering its OEM it's not a massive upgrade over stock.....Correct me if I am wrong but I think the M030 shocks are Bilstein B4. The M030 will set you back £900-1000 depending on where available, or you can buy a set of springs for £300ish, run them on your shocks which will perfectly fine and if you decide to in the future replace the shocks with the higher spec Bilstein B6/B8.
The whole lot would maybe set you back £12-1300ish, but would give a nice 25-30mm drop and be uprated to a higher spec. Don't get me wrong m030 sounds good for the money, but I don't think you will see much suspension change visually and that's your main aim at the mo.

I believe they are B4s, but if your old ones are worn then they will be better. For the £1k you are getting front and rear ARBs, bushes, struts and springs. I did mine because the struts were rusty and the front ARB was also pretty rusty. The drop in ride height was nice and it was cheaper than just buyong the parts to keep it OEM. For my road use the B4s are perfectly good.
If everything else is good on yours then I agree with just springs or leave it as it is.

MC

Do they do mo33 kit for 996?
I went this route with new OEM shocks on my 993 a few years back as the mo33 Lowers but does not stiffen as the ride was already stiff enough for me. Plus the kit was heavily discounted at the time which made it very difficult not to do a full refresh. The shocks that came off were in pretty reasonable shape..

Darren Langeveld (aka Teffers ) who runs destination Nurburgring track days changed his set up for Bilstein coil overs so worth pining him for before and after thoughts.

he has a really nice C4s too like yours and from what I hear he loves the way it rides, sits and handles now.

yes MO30 are B4s. the OEM coilover set up on my GT3 is bilstein too. and they rebuild them too.

linky here: http://www.northloop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?55430-I-ve-got-996-problems-...../page2

there is one on here too but can't find it

I'd recommend you go the whole hog.. New springs, shocks and bushes. Did mine a few months ago, so glad I did. Remember it's 15 ish years old, if you're going to do it I'd say do it properly.. Top mounts, bushes etc will all be a bit crusty, great opportunity to make sure your car is sound for another 10 years!

I went for the standard OEM MO30 as I didn't want a trackday set up for everyday driving. It's definitely a bit lower but not GT3 like. I use mine everyday (sleeping policemen and cambered roads) so the priority was fast road handling and comfort.

Think hard about how you're planning to use it before spending thousands on coilovers etc. Too many cars these days have overly stiff suspension that's completely unnesserary and ruins the fluidity.

You'll be really happy knowing it's all new, it's a great investment and will only add to the overall appeal and value of your C4s.

Guys, thanks for the feedback and comments :thumb:
Some worthwhile considerations there.
Anyone else got standard setup with additional spacers? And what to do at the rear? Was the Porsche 5mm option specific to narrow body models?
If you zoom in to the pictures I have posted there is quite a pronounced overhang at the rear arches from certain angles which just don't look right given the wide body style :nooo:

What sort of price are you looking at for the full mo30 kit including fitting?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back