Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wavetrac or Quaife

K9ng

Monza
Evening all,

Looking to upgrade the rear diff in my 996tt,
The cars used mainly on weekends with the odd track day!

Trying to decide between wavetrac or quaife atb.

I've read up on the wheel hop benefits from wavetrac,
In day to day driving am I going to notice the difference.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards
Paul

Might not be helpful, but I have decided to go with Guard.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Might not be helpful, but I have decided to go with Guard.

MC

Thanks, but what made you choose the guard diff.

I am going for the GT2 Pro diff. It has been recommended to me based on the strength for high power applications. It generally gets very good write ups as well.

MC

I have the option 220 oem LSD in mine and I can certainly feel it working in day to day driving, never mind on track. In certain corners you can feel it rotating the car around the corner and tucking the nose in. In short, they are well worth having for more than just the track if you're a keen driver.

I know this doesn't help your choice on which diff, but when I rebuild mine, it will be with Guard internals, but I've heard good things about Wavetrack also.

The thing to bear in mind when choosing an LSD is that gear type LSDs (Quaife etc) don't do anything under braking, only acceleration, whereas clutch type LSDs do both, and are therefore better suited to the track, but they do wear out, unlike the gear type ones, which don't(generally).

Martin996RSR said:
I have the option 220 oem LSD in mine and I can certainly feel it working in day to day driving, never mind on track. In certain corners you can feel it rotating the car around the corner and tucking the nose in. In short, they are well worth having for more than just the track if you're a keen driver.

I know this doesn't help your choice on which diff, but when I rebuild mine, it will be with Guard internals, but I've heard good things about Wavetrack also.

The thing to bear in mind when choosing an LSD is that gear type LSDs (Quaife etc) don't do anything under braking, only acceleration, whereas clutch type LSDs do both, and are therefore better suited to the track, but they do wear out, unlike the gear type ones, which don't(generally).

Thanks for the input, will be sticking with the ATB as it's mainly a road car.
Don't want the extra noise associated with clutch or plated diffs.

Martin996RSR said:

I would have thought you would see the exact opposite. The extra resistance to have different wheel speeds would push the nose out and cause more understeer, particularly on low speed corners. Or is this more something that you are seeing when you are on the power coming out of the corner?

I have LSDs on a couple of my cars but this will be the first time I will have tried one on a Porsche, with the 4WD system you have to be doing something pretty crazy to be losing traction anyway so I wouldn't bother. It is only because I am going to 2WD that I am doing it.

MC

My LSD makes no noise during any type of driving.

Hi MC, yes I get the nose tucking in and rotating nicely when on the power coming out of the corner. You can feel the rate of turn being maintained even though you're winding off the steering lock and it's lovely, and easy to turn into a drift if you want to. If I'm turning in and accelerating then the LSD does indeed work against me. However all this is only part of the story as the weight transfer and road surface has also has a much greater influence on the car's corner behaviour, and either allows the LSD to shine on the the driving experience, or to occasionally frustrate it. Don't foret that LSDs are not just about locking up the diff when one wheel looses grip, they influence the torque bias before that happens and therefore influence the driving experience before wheel slip begins to occur.

For more on LSD rebuilds for our cars, I recommend this web page. This guy was my hero until ELA turned up here.
http://www.kellyanneporsche.com/emmy.htm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back