Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Plastic nuts

I am unable to make a hyperlink, sorry, but this is the item number :
362025162692 £1.35 for 10, however if you need them a bit quicker a UK seller has them for £1.99 Item number is : 322852041242.
Should have added you need to open them out a touch as they are only 4mm.

Just picked up the original turbo twists from being refurbished and some new rubber.

This weekend I will mainly be playing with spacers.....

Attachments

• img_8237_476.jpg
    img_8237_476.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 6,693
Re: Plastic nuts

Allan E said:
I am unable to make a hyperlink, sorry, but this is the item number :
362025162692 £1.35 for 10, however if you need them a bit quicker a UK seller has them for £1.99 Item number is : 322852041242.
Should have added you need to open them out a touch as they are only 4mm.

Thanks Allan

Started the evap replacement. Tank out, firewall out. Loads of odds and sods fallen behind the tank it was like seaching the base of an old settee. A few differences to the pcar/Pelican write up as it's not a 964 and it's rhd. Getting at the 2 nuts and 1 bolt behind the dash was easy as I have a 964 lower dash and I took the passenger seat out. Just pulled the radio out and the hvac control about 3" no need to remove or disconnect. Worst bit was draining the tank. I can see the evap and it's in a sorry state. Almost there but that's enough for today.

Endoman said:
Started the evap replacement. Tank out, firewall out. Loads of odds and sods fallen behind the tank it was like seaching the base of an old settee. A few differences to the pcar/Pelican write up as it's not a 964 and it's rhd. Getting at the 2 nuts and 1 bolt behind the dash was easy as I have a 964 lower dash and I took the passenger seat out. Just pulled the radio out and the hvac control about 3" no need to remove or disconnect. Worst bit was draining the tank. I can see the evap and it's in a sorry state. Almost there but that's enough for today.

Good work John. Have you been taking pictures so you can put an FAQ up?
I'm sure there'll be some more on here wanting to give this a go over then next couple of years :grin:

Good for you Endoman. Have you removed the air box yet? I had problems removing the temperature sensors (so that you can leave the wiring loom in situ). I did not know whether they twisted out or needed to be pulled out. Could not find any info on this, so I tried both repeatedly - putting more and more effort into it, until guess what - I broke the plastic retaining wings. Now I know that they twist out. (cannot remember which way, but if you need to know I can check). Porsche do a replacement kit for about £130!!!!

At Porsche, I believe the wiring loom is part of the air box assembly because cable ties are used to hold the loom against the air box. As these are behind the air box you have to get behind it with your wire cutters and cut it blind. Great stuff!

I agree the worst part was disconnecting the petrol pipes underneath the car when you only have about 6 inches headroom.

I believe the cause of the evaporator failure is corrosion due to the evaporator resting at the bottom of the air box and sitting in condisation/unfiltered air i.e. dirt from the cabin. I think Tores has alluded to this. So if I was to do this again I would put a protective coat of anti corrosion on the copper pipes.
So all the best you are almost there.

[/quote]

Airbox is still in but moving, footwell connectors disengaged and like you not sure how to remove those temp sensors. I will take some shots after I've cleaned up behind the tank, it's filthy down there. The new evap is all aluminium from the States so hopefully it will not suffer from dissimilar metal corrosion. I did the condenser earlier which was pretty easy by comparison. Sill pipes are new and pump so looking forward to a nice hot summer probably have to drive to Italy for that.

steering rack currently in for refurb, it had just started leaking.

hopefully that's all the big ticket items now covered on this high-ish mile 993: top end rebuilt, sorted suspension, front & rear scuttle sorted, steering rack refurbed. Last one will be chasis leg check at some point.

Fingers crossed for some cheap(er) years ahead! 8)

badlands said:

hopefully that's all the big ticket items now covered on this high-ish mile 993: top end rebuilt, sorted suspension, front & rear scuttle sorted, steering rack refurbed. Last one will be chasis leg check at some point.

I have a feeling you'll find something to do :D

mohitos said:
badlands said:

I have a feeling you'll find something to do :D

if i stay away from your thread & keep my head buried in the sand then hopefully not :lol:

Both front fans a bit stiff and one was squeaking so new ones from Eurocarparts will be going in @ £300 (the cheaper ones) as I don't want to repeat this .Prices vary wildly from a Merc one which may fit at £50 ish to over a grand!(£1150). The fuse blew once so even if you dont use a/c this still may be neccessary.

Have just checked with my old broken temp sensor - you will need to rotate them clockwise quarter/turn to release. Hard plastic wings digging into your fingers do not help but it will work.

Fabspeed maxflo mufflers to complete the system, the Black Friday deal covers the postage. Crazy I know but I just love the quality of Fabspeed stuff. Tip:- don't drink and ebay.

Went to Timpsons to get a spare key cut, blank provided. Was told no can do they would not accept responsibility if it went wrong. They advertise car key cutting so what's the problem? Ordered a new precut from OPC. So don't waste your money on buying a blank key.

New rear bumper supports and sundry tinware/heat shields and nuts and bolts replaced by JAZ. Very pleased.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back