Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

You wanna replace all the old exhaust fittings on your car?

wozy

Really, do ya?

Bumper stays were shot on my 993. Basically the only thing holding the bumper on was four screws. :Surprised: So whilst in there, may as well change rusted and knackered other bits of the exhaust system whilst the bumpers off.

Oh what fun it is, browsing the PET catalogue coffee in hand, pencil and paper jotting down part numbers.

Then there's the call to your local OPC and scouring Eurocarparts etc etc.

I ended up replacing the following:

Bumper Stays, CAT headshield, small heatshield in front of CAT,Silencer straps, every single clamp from the heat exchangers back, also the CAT straps plus every nut, bolt and washer to go with the lot of it.

Total cost of parts £1K. :what:

Plus around 30 hours of labour.

Thankfully the main heat shield that's hidden behind the bumper had only a tiny amount of rust and that was only around the lower btm edge fixing points where it was bolted to the car. So in this instance larger washers were used as it was 99% complete and in good order.

The nearside heat shield above and in front of the silencer was repairable as it was only its leading front edge that was rotton. (Repaired by cutting up the good metal left off the original CAT shield, the offside one was fine.

There was no rust in the chassis legs at all, (we removed the the silencer heatshield to have a poke about), other than surface rust on the outer seams as seen in the pictures. Behind the removalable bumper impact stops, the chassis legs were like new inside, but we waxyoiled them anyway and sealed back up.

Sorry I seem not able to add more photos, and the ones that have uploaded arn't in sequence. :nooo:

Attachments

• img_0281_192.jpg
    img_0281_192.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0286_206.jpg
    img_0286_206.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0288_137.jpg
    img_0288_137.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0292_201.jpg
    img_0292_201.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0296_138.jpg
    img_0296_138.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0300_200.jpg
    img_0300_200.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0311_166.jpg
    img_0311_166.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0321_458.jpg
    img_0321_458.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0344_158.jpg
    img_0344_158.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 7,610
  • img_0348_145.jpg
    img_0348_145.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 7,610
Very interesting and useful. :thumbs:
Its been on my list of winter jobs for a few years now.

WTF. MODS Help. What's it doing here? It's supposed to be in the 993 section.

Did you take the right angled plates off and the bumper supports? The chassis leg corrosion is hidden behind those plates.

Attachments

• rebuild3_146.jpg
    rebuild3_146.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 7,447
Great work and costs sound about right and you've managed to get away with some big ticket items like the rear PU heat shiel, there's also heat shields either side that insert into the rear PU which can be rotten, or they were on mine.

Labour of 30hrs would give a cost of £1500 at £50hr rate, ouch, I assume you got some mates rates in that respect.

Your 4th photo down is not a good view of the chassis leg, in fact the very rear edge of the leg does look rusty. As Endoman suggests you need to remove the angled heat shield held on by a couple of 10mm nuts and all will be revealed.

Trev

Good work Wozy :thumb:

When I had my rear end off :D I too found a 4 digit number on the metal work. Also you can see the areas that I checked for the deadly chassis leg issue. You can see the heatshield, bumper support cavity and the plate are all in good shape as is my big heatshiild. My car having spent the first 15 years of its life in the ME and then the last 7 in Spain has made a big difference to the degree of rusting even my bumper supports only needed sanding down and repainting.

It gives a great deal of satisfaction doing this sort of work :thumbs:

ATB :)

Attachments

• pu_supports_after_painting_138.jpg
    pu_supports_after_painting_138.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 7,383
  • pu_support_308.jpg
    pu_support_308.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 7,383
  • heatshield_in_good_shape_317.jpeg
    heatshield_in_good_shape_317.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 7,383
  • inside_bumper_fixing_176.jpeg
    inside_bumper_fixing_176.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 7,383
  • chassis_legs_plate_556.jpeg
    chassis_legs_plate_556.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 7,383
  • heatshield_230.jpeg
    heatshield_230.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 7,383
  • number_on_rear_of_car_182.jpeg
    number_on_rear_of_car_182.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 7,383
Lovely. You could really so with a new set of tips on the exhaust (points to classified ad)

:angel:

mohitos said:
Lovely. You could really so with a new set of tips on the exhaust (points to classified ad)

:angel:

Or get them polished :thumb:

Attachments

• rhs_tip_114.jpg
    rhs_tip_114.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 7,357
Cameltoe & Heel said:
Great work and costs sound about right and you've managed to get away with some big ticket items like the rear PU heat shiel, there's also heat shields either side that insert into the rear PU which can be rotten, or they were on mine.

Labour of 30hrs would give a cost of £1500 at £50hr rate, ouch, I assume you got some mates rates in that respect.

Your 4th photo down is not a good view of the chassis leg, in fact the very rear edge of the leg does look rusty. As Endoman suggests you need to remove the angled heat shield held on by a couple of 10mm nuts and all will be revealed.

Trev

Yes, we moved the lot .... just can't add extra pics to show it. There was rust on the leading seams, but looks worse in the pic than actually was, no rot just surface rust. Considering the state of the bumper brackets I'd expected the worse, but all was ok. We treated this area with sand back, primer and paint and waxyoil.
I've always been a believer that chassis leg rot affects some cars but not all. Why not I'm not sure. Mine is a very early car, and there is signs of paint behind brackets, there was lots of crud, but minimal light rust. No idea why, maybe the initial batch were built a little different as they came off the line.

What did you do to the rear silencer boxes? Spray them up with exhaust paint :dont know:

Zingari said:
What did you do to the rear silencer boxes? Spray them up with exhaust paint :dont know:

Yes, I wasn't expected that to be done. They do look better for it though, they were minging and I wouldn't have bothered to have them cleaned up .... if they could have been.

It must be remembered this is a car to me, a lovely one but not to be a pristine 911. I'm not a Jackal type (though nothing wrong with that) that feels the need to make the underside of a car pristine . I like driving them in all weathers too much :)

Interesting. Mine is going into JAZ next week for much of that work to be done.

Did you replace the nuts & bolts with the OEM steel items, or go stainless?

Johnd52 said:
Did you replace the nuts & bolts with the OEM steel items, or go stainless?

OEM.

decgraham said:
Good work Wozy :thumb:

When I had my rear end off :D I too found a 4 digit number on the metal work. Also you can see the areas that I checked for the deadly chassis leg issue. You can see the heatshield, bumper support cavity and the plate are all in good shape as is my big heatshiild. My car having spent the first 15 years of its life in the ME and then the last 7 in Spain has made a big difference to the degree of rusting even my bumper supports only needed sanding down and repainting.

It gives a great deal of satisfaction doing this sort of work :thumbs:

Yours looks mint in comparison to mine. :) Spot on :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back