Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 turbo, the story so far.....

Thanks again mate. I completely agree! More power is definitely on the list. I'd love to think I'd be happy with just a remap, but i know it's a seriously slippery slope when you start, so I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I was looking for more.

After many, many hours of filling, sanding, re-filling etc. the overall shape of the two side scoops was now complete. I tried to get them as close as I possibly could and they aren't perfect, but they are good enough for me to be happy. This is how they looked at this stage. There were still a few small pinholes here and there, but the basic shape was now finished.

Untitled by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

The next part of the process was to cover them in a coat of filler glaze. This is a finishing layer and is a lot runnier than standard bodyfiller, it's also self levelling and helped to fill in any pinholes and imperfections. After another round of sanding and refining, the scoops now had a nice smooth, even feeling surface and were ready for painting.

To allow the scoops to be painted I put several screws into the edge where it meets the bodywork to allow my sprayer to hang them up whilst being painted. This was one of the worst parts of the whole project as I'd spent so much time trying to get them perfect and I now had to drill holes in them!

This was my part of the process now complete and it was over to the guys in the bodyshop to do the rest.

DW 996turbo said:
I tried to get them as close as I possibly could and they aren't perfect, but they are good enough for me to be happy

Think of it like having a shave and you get to your sideburns...

...they are never perfectly level but look good enough :grin:

:thumb:

Haha! That's exactly what it's like. Thankfully, just like sideburns, it's difficult to look at the two of them together afterwards as they're on different sides of the car. :thumb:

I'm really enjoying your thread. Your level of dedication is to be admired!
The car looks great, looking forward to seeing the scoops finished and fitted.

Here they are back from the paintshop. I'm really happy with how they've turned out.

I decided while I was having the scoops painted that I would also have the original intakes painted in satin black. I felt that this would help the new side scoops look a bit more oem, with a bit of contrast, rather than having everything the same colour.

When I refitted the original intakes I decided to replace all of the small metal clamps that hold them in place as one or two were bent or broken. There are four on each side and the part number for them is 996.504.607.01.

Here is the car with the satin black intakes fitted incase anyone is interested. I took a few photos to see how it would look before fitting the new side scoops.

Here are a few pics of the scoops finally fitted to the car. In the end I attached them with a mixture of 3M VHB tape and a few screws. They felt very solid with just the tape, but having not used 3M tape before I decided to put in a few screws just in case.

I'll take a few pics somewhere more interesting when I'm next out for a drive.

HSC911 - Thanks again mate, high praise indeed. Glad your a fan. :thumb:

Dammit - Cheers mate, I really appreciate that.

A few more pics taken up in the Brecon Beacons.

These were taken a few days ago and that brings me fully up to date with everything I've done with my car. The updates will keep coming, but they may be a bit slower as they'll now be in real time. Hope you guys have enjoyed the progress so far.

Hope you all have a good Christmas. :thumbs:

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back