Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Still have an oil drip!

Hi ATB,

You could strip down all of one side of the engine, once the cam carrier if off you could remove the barrel above that case bolt but it would not be a good idea. It would be a huge amount of work and when you're that far in it's make sense to rebuild it.

As for oil, the warmer the climate the thicker the oil you can get away with. A 10/50 Will be fine. Porsche used those oils on the 964 if I member rightly. Mobil 1 0/40 was never the best oil for air cooled engines, especially as they get older. That however is just my opinion.

The Mobil 1 Motorsport oil is excellent in these engines. Or Millers Nano tech oils which are reassuring expensive.

Regards
GR

Hi GR,

Thanks for coming back to me. I hear what you say so I'll look into a rebuild in the future. As I said before I'll use one of the thicker oils next time I do an oil and filter change. For now I'll live with the drip.

ATB :)

Hi All,

Just to bring this to a conclusion below are 2 pictures of the amount of oil that was in my "catching tray" and the piece of kitchen role I used to wipe it out after a good run out yesterday. The car had sat from 2.00 pm yesterday until 11.00 am this morning.

I can live with this :thumb:

Attachments

• oil_tissue_105.jpg
    oil_tissue_105.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5,754
  • oil_in_tray_217.jpg
    oil_in_tray_217.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 5,754
My 993 has always leaked a few drops of oil to since we bought it four years ago.

I paid quite a bit of money to various garages who have claimed they know where it's leaking from and changed various gaskets and seals etc. but within a couple of days of getting it back it always carries on dripping.

I gave up worrying about it two years ago when I realised the car was running really well and the amount of oil it loses barely features and doesn't really affect things.

Also, since we acquired a 1930 vintage car which seems to leak oil from everywhere and leaves oily stains on the garage floor at the front, middle and rear of the car I no longer notice the tiny amount is that leaks from the 993. A fellow Lagonda club member quoted that old adage that "if it's not leaking oil it probably has no oil in it".

Ignore it, enjoy driving the car, and don't bother fixing it until you have the engine out for some kind of major work.

Hi A993LAD,

I think that you are bang on the money with what you say, makes me feel better too so thanks for that. :thumb:

I'll live with the leak.

Also, I only really became aware of the tiny oil leak because I removed the cover from underneath the engine shortly after acquiring the car so I could change the engine mounts. And I was too lazy to put it back on again so it sits in the corner of the garage.

I suppose I could always put it back on the car to "cure" the leak.

:D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back