Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 gen 1 with a Heated Steering Wheel ?

vlad

Has anyone got one? A 997.1 with a heated steering wheel?

Trying to work out if its retro fittable?

I have a gen 2 pdk wheel (with the heated option) operating the tiptronic of my 997.1 turbo, wondering if I can get the heated function working,

I have heated seats, I'll need a clock slip ring which supports the heated wheel.

...and after that I think maybe config with the PIWIS ?

I know a few on here have done this so it should work, not sure how but I'm sure someone will be along shortly named Phil to tell you how.

You will certainly need it codeing as thats an option to make it work .. im not sure about steering column cu though .. as far as i know its not needed as i think they are all standard but im not 100 % on this .

I belive its temperature related so if not cold enough it wont switch on .

Clock spring is not needed .. thats just for the airbag , cu is fitted to it though .

It may just need codeing on .

OK so that was an epic fail :pc:

Bought the clock spring for the lead from the heated steering wheel to plug into (it did need one as the original clock spring didn't have the pins in the socket).

So I had the new clock spring fitted and the heated steering wheel function was enabled via PIWIS.

.....but it doesn't work!

It was always a bit of a project and I appreciated it might not be that straight forward.

So I have a gen2 pdk multi function heated steering wheel (operating my Tip. function),
that inturn is plugged into the 997.2 clock spring that now supports the heated wheel function. (997.1 clock spring didn't)
I also have the 997.2 steering control module necessary to support the MF pdk wheel.

So what is missing? is there a wiring diagram available? I am guessing I am missing wires to the control module - (power for the heated wheel)

I have heated seats

Does ANYONE have a 997.1 with heated steering wheel :weed:

Cheers - I will not be defeated :D

Just re-read Demort's reply (thanks) - I wonder if it's just not been cold enough ?!

vlad said:
Has anyone got one? A 997.1 with a heated steering wheel?

Trying to work out if its retro fittable?

I have a gen 2 pdk wheel (with the heated option) operating the tiptronic of my 997.1 turbo, wondering if I can get the heated function working,

I have heated seats, I'll need a clock slip ring which supports the heated wheel.

...and after that I think maybe config with the PIWIS ?

Why would you want to do this :?: :?: :?:

anything to make those cold winter morning starts more bearable.

(I've always used my 911's all year round, never saw the point in tucking them up for winter :p )

Vlad, have you tried turning on various options on the piwis do you have the MF option turned on etc. Is there anything on the heated seat heater unit that needs to be adjusted to send the signal on to the wheel. have you tried to do it bypassing the heater switch to see if it all works in which case you may need a different switch or unit behind it. :?:

Last thought there is a connector on the gen2 heated wheel part of the wiring loom that is at the back of the airbag not heated seats dont have this connector what have you plugged the connector into in the loom.

Hi Vlad, I believe it can be made to work, but as others have said it will need coding with PIWIS - but that is straight forward and is needed any way for most steering wheel upgrades.

In addition you will need the correct control unit, it is a horseshoe shaped unit that fits into your steering column behind the steering wheel, and this has a socket within it to receive the additional heated wheel loom connector that is inside your new heated steering wheel.

The Part number for this control unit is I believe: 997 613 299 00 - I investigated this a while ago for someone attempting the same retrofit, If you look at the option code next to this unit in PET it reads I345 - which is the option code for a heated steering wheel.

I also believe for this to work, your car needs to have had heated seats specified from new.

So in summary if your car has heated seats and you have already purchased a 997.2 heated steering wheel, If you were to also purchase this control unit, fit it, and then hook PIWIS up and turn on the Heated Steering wheel option, it should work :thumb:

Vlad - just re-read your second posting, as Demort says, I too also don't believe that the clock spring needs changing, and I think that the heated steering wheel loom needs plugging into the control unit not the clock spring, so your comment stating that you connect it to he clock spring has confused me - did you do this or did someone else do it for you?

If you look in PET you will see that there are a number of different control units and I believe you need a specific one for the Heated wheel option to plug into. I replaced the control unit in mine to enable the retrofit of a 997.2 wheel (without heating), but I would have used a different unit had I needed heating.

Do you have the part number of the control unit you fitted?

Hi, thanks for the help with this,

Yes...I think your correct the recently purchased! Steering control module (which wasn't cheap from the OPC) isn't the one to support a heated steering wheel - it was bought to get the pdk wheel working with the Tiptronic box (my first project :D ) (that was part number 997.613.289.01) - so it looks like another trip to the OPC for the part number you mentioned will be required.

Re: the clock spring I do think I needed the one I bought 955.652.211.22 as the one on the car didn't have the 2 X pins in the plug socket that connects to the wires on the heated wheel. (the original part was 997.613.071.06)

... just re-read your post Monster, don't you have to plug the heated steering wheels wires into the clock spring - all wires from the wheel go to the clock spring - and connect from there, to the control module by connectors between the two, the clock spring has a Y shaped socket on the front face that accepts the Y shaped plug which is the wires for the heated element in the steering wheel.
If any wire went from the steering wheel directly to the steering module it would be constantly being twisted and untwisted as you turned the wheel - I believe - but I am definitely no expert.

I'll order the correct control module and let you know how I get on.
(FYI, I do have the heated seats)

Thanks again for your help,

Vlad, I think you may right re the clock spring - that does make sense what you say regarding the wiring having first to go through the clock spring...

If i am honest with you I did mine quite some time ago and I can't picture in my mind exactly how it all fits together now!

Let us know how you get on with the new control unit - you will have no problem selling the one you have as lots of folk who are upgrading to the 997.2 wheels without heating will need that one!

Heated wheel option 997.1

I retrofitted a 997.2 wheel with multifunction to my 997.1. I fitted a later control unit (the 289.01) and all was fine for a year. Then my clock spring failed, I suspect it wasn't centred correctly. As I had to change the clock spring I fitted the correct unit with the pins for the heated wheel.

I have piwis and enabled the heated wheel. However it doesn't work! The rest of the wheel functions work and I live in the south of France so not too cold here.

Be nice to get it going if anyone has any ideas. I don't have heated seats option.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back