Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Protection Film Vs Ceramic/Nano coatings

OK, after going to see a 'Full Wrap' in progress, I've been firmly put off a full body wrap. I'm too much of a perfectionist to put up with the wonky cut edges, even if it is out of initial site. I saw numerous imperfections where something was underneath the film, and the various caviets thrown into conversation just made me think it'd be more hassle than it's worth.

So, back to PPF and Ceramic coatings, after 'correction'.

Who did you use Squelch?? And who's Wombat Bobba??

Are there any alternatives to Gtechniq for Ceramic? I think the Sunteck film is definitely the one, heard several recommendations including from the dealer I'm getting it from.

I'm basing my choice on who does the best paint correction, not who's got the jazziest wrap company...

I have Xpel Ultimate PFF on my new S4. I was told that Xpel is a bit thicker than SunTek's Self Heal PPF. So Xpel should provide better protection.

Have you contacted CleanDetail at Doncaster, not too far from Leeds, They are also approved Xpel installers so you have the 10 year guarantee for extra peace of mind. Once the film was on I also have the film treated with Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.

I had Xpel PFF film on my previous car and even after 6 years it still looked good. I just had the full panel coverage on the bonnet, front wings, mirrors and bumper and sills. However for the 911 I decided to have all the panels fitted with PFF film. One of the benefits in having consistency of gloss finish and full round protection. I am very pleased that I did. Back in April I did a touring holiday in Wales and due to the poor road conditions loose gravel etc. the car is peppered with fine impact marks especially on the rear wings which extend far greater than the standard factory installed PFF panels.

Some pics of the 911 at the PFF installers.

30975204156_c678214fac_k.jpg

22832424498_43625f3a4e_h.jpg

30975204646_c3143d55bc_h.jpg

Related topic http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120224&start=0

alpinaB3 said:
I have Xpel Ultimate PFF on my new S4. I was told that Xpel is a bit thicker than SunTek's Self Heal PPF. So Xpel should provide better protection.

Have you contacted CleanDetail at Doncaster, not too far from Leeds, They are also approved Xpel installers so you have the 10 year guarantee for extra peace of mind. Once the film was on I also have the film treated with Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.

wow stunning colour!

are you saying you has the Gyeon coating over the PPF? what's the benefit of placing a ceramic coat over PPF? in my mind it would make more sense to cermaic coat the car then apply PPF no?

aadhay said:
wow stunning colour!

are you saying you has the Gyeon coating over the PPF? what's the benefit of placing a ceramic coat over PPF? in my mind it would make more sense to cermaic coat the car then apply PPF no?

Coating goes over the film because the film won't stick properly to a ceramic/quartz coating and you also want the 'weather-proofing' benefits of the coating on top. The only catch is that you'll probably lose the 'self healing' properties of the film, if it has them.

aadhay said:
alpinaB3 said:

wow stunning colour!

Thank you for the complements regarding the colour its Sapphire blue metallic blue with graphite blue leather interior (which is grey with a slight hint of blue).

Yes the sealant is on top the film. Even with PFF film to ensure the film retains its gloss finish over time / years it does need either as wax treatment or a sealant applied just like paint. Yes this is the self healing PFF film and I did question with the detailer film installer that wouldn't the Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating crack and peal over time as the coating if rigid and the film is more flexible, his answer is no it wont. I understand a lot of installers offer a sealant solution. With my previous car which PaintShield installed the film they also applied included a sealant on the film to help and maintain the finish of the film. To maintain the gloss finish of the PFF film I use Gyeon Cure as like a detail spray and polish off after I have washed the car. So far no complaints :)

Some knowledgeable folks in this post. I'm taking delivery of my 991 this week, and it's been well prepared, with a repray on the front bumper and a detail. I'm keen to get this further enhanced, locked in and protected.

Any recommendations for top quality vendors in London/South East?

Rob325114 said:
Some knowledgeable folks in this post. I'm taking delivery of my 991 this week, and it's been well prepared, with a repray on the front bumper and a detail. I'm keen to get this further enhanced, locked in and protected.

I would recommend Topaz http://www.topazdetailing.com/ I've been to their workshop and seen there set up and the quality of there work. I would have used them but they were just to far away from me.

Rob325114 said:

I don't know if they do PPF but for anything else I would go to KDS in Kent.

VERY highly regarded in the detailing world. I've spent a day at their premises and seen their work first-hand and they are absolute masters of their craft.

(I've got no affilliation BTW)

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/

Just saw this thread. My 993 got a well-deserved refurb earlier this year. I wanted to do it properly and protect against stone chips as I do mainly motorway miles. Before the refurb the bumper was peppered with chips (eh?)

I went to Paintshield in Peterborough who applied their film. It works very well. They know their stuff. No chips in the 8k miles since then.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back