Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch assist spring

limpetminer

Is the clutch assist spring difficult to change on a Boxster? Will I need to take it to the garage or is it a DIY job

Thats a yes and also a no type of question ..

Its not too bad but it is fiddly , you have to hold the clutch pedal down whilst fitting it with one hand and there is a chance of hurting yourself .

Personnely i would say get a garage to do it .. if not ill try to dig out some instructions .. 987 ?

Demort said:
Thats a yes and also a no type of question ..

Its not too bad but it is fiddly , you have to hold the clutch pedal down whilst fitting it with one hand and there is a chance of hurting yourself .

Personnely i would say get a garage to do it .. if not ill try to dig out some instructions .. 987 ?
It's a 986 with heavy clutch it's done 57k miles

Clutch cover is the usual for a heavy clutch pedal im afraid .. ie new clutch .. spring normally makes a noise if broken but is the cheapest part to replace just in case it has broken .

Demort said:
Clutch cover is the usual for a heavy clutch pedal im afraid .. ie new clutch .. spring normally makes a noise if broken but is the cheapest part to replace just in case it has broken .
Thanks for info, think I can live with it for now if it gets worse will get clutch rms & ims changed as do have small oil leak also

I bought my old 986 with a heavy clutch at 70,000 miles. It last until 120,000 miles.

If you rev match all, and I do mean all, your downshifts and don't ride the clutch in traffic, my experience is that even a fairly worn clutch will go on for a long time, even driving the snot out of the car.

I think it's wear from non-matched downshifts that sees so many clutches going so quickly.

Plus it's a win-win, 'cuz rev matching is a joy in these cars.

If it is the clutch assist spring, I did mine a while ago and it made a lot of difference and was a lot lighter afterwards but if I was to do it again I would take the drivers seat out as that would give a lot more room to work, the seat comes out easily and will save much time and effort.

It is quite popular in the US for guys to remove the helper spring
so the clutch has a more definite 'bite' point.
I had one go on my 996 and removed it.
Personally I like more of a 'feel' to the clutch.

My heavy clutch turned out to be a broken slave cylinder and bent release fork :dont know:

£5k bill for a gearbox rebuild (plus new clutch , flywheel and ancillaries)
:frustrated:

No warning , no slipping, just poor Gear change action (not me I hasten to add!)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back