Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Porsche 911 (997) Really Badly Affected Me With My Job

When I had a 350z people would come up to me all the time and say how nice it was and how its their dream car.

With the 911 I once got a salt shaker gesture, and a guy in a petrol station tried upselling me some chocolate "oh come on, you can afford it with a car like that".

I'm not wealthy at all :dont know:

Norfolk & Idea said:
School teachers are lefties. Lefties are bitter and twisted. Lefties will begrudge people who swan about in 911's. They prefer the Fiat 500 type cars. Or those God awful Citroen CV things. Teachers like stuff like sandals and cloth hand bags. And fer chrisakes don't mention Donald Trump.... They'll be choking on their cous cous and lentil wrap....

Mrs Osh is a teacher and the least 'Leftie' you'll ever find...

Osh

I lived in a certain town that is now a city in Scotland, no names no pack drill!
I had a business at the time and things were doing well so I bought a 968, didn't really matter that it was the 'poor mans' Porsche, it was a Porsche and boy did it not rankle a few people.
I was firstly accused of dealing drugs, the truth was actually worse I sold mobile phones! This became such a problem that I was actually followed by plod for weeks and I heard from a local mechanic later that the Police had tried to find a way of fitting a tracker to my car without me knowing.
Then I had a full on tax investigation, which found that i'd made a lot of money out of selling mobile phones, well there's a surprise!
Sold the car in the end as I couldn't leave it any where and the 'guano' was effecting my business.
Anyone who is peed off that you own a nice car, Porsche, has more problems than you/we will ever have!

...in my BMW I must have been stopped 15 times...

What on earth are you doing to be stopped so often? That really suggests that you drive irresponsibly in the wrong areas.

The original post reads like a sitcom where a young hip teacher turns up to school in a Porsche and encounters one disaster after another.
Your stop rate by the Police is, all other things being equal, a bit odd.
I've had all sorts of lairy cars (Evo 6s, Honda Type Rs etc.), I look like a child (though I'm now 40) and have only been stopped once and it was fully justified.

I'm in the legal profession and I've had completely the opposite experience with my cars - they have been conversational ice breakers and people would often ask (in one instance two weeks ago, ten years after first acquaintance) do you still have your rally car/Integra etc.

I find the idea of being stopped by the Police for no obvious reason quite bizarre.

Norfolk & Idea said:
School teachers are lefties. Lefties are bitter and twisted. Lefties will begrudge people who swan about in 911's. They prefer the Fiat 500 type cars. Or those God awful Citroen CV things. Teachers like stuff like sandals and cloth hand bags.

I had to smile at that comment. I had a teacher identical to that when I was at school. She drove a 2CV, had sandals, cloth hand bag the works. Wore bright red trousers too most days.

Osh said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
School teachers are lefties. Lefties are bitter and twisted. Lefties will begrudge people who swan about in 911's. They prefer the Fiat 500 type cars. Or those God awful Citroen CV things. Teachers like stuff like sandals and cloth hand bags. And fer chrisakes don't mention Donald Trump.... They'll be choking on their cous cous and lentil wrap....

Mrs Osh is a teacher and the least 'Leftie' you'll ever find...

Osh

Ha ha, so is my sister. Sadly I can't say the same!

Tongue cheek old boy... but a lot of humour carries a chunk of truth :)

I had an Impreza P1 when they first came out and I got stopped regularly, not for doing anything silly, but just to check that the car was mine and my paperwork was in order. I was mid-20's in a bright blue, huge spoilered car that looked like it belonged on a rally stage...so, not exactly discreet!

I didn't mind, as the coppers were always acting in my best interests and they were keen to take a closer look at the car and chat about it once they had established that everything was as it should be.

The minor inconvenience of getting stopped regularly played to my advantage when some druggy scum decided to ask me for my keys when I was returning to my car in a dark car park one night. I declined his request and he somehow ended up knocked out on the floor :dont know: I jumped in the car and went to the police station just around the corner where the desk sergeant recognised me and sent me out with two of his officers to see if the guy was still there...he was! They also picked up a couple of his mates who were well known to the local police, so it turned out to be quite an eventful night :cop: :judge:

Once the adrenaline had worn off I questioned how this would play out for me, they said their only concern was why didn't I hit him harder :grin:

From then on, I just got a friendly wave when I was out in the car.

This is a sad story. The kids seem cool about the car, but the 'authorities' and the police give you a hard time. On the basis of what sound like a lot of made up stories, assumptions and prejudices. It seems to me that there is risk that a young talent is probably leaving teaching, which is a huge shame, as the UK needs the best teachers it can get. Preferably ones who aren't jealous, petty, and narrow minded. Whatever they drive.
:frustrated:

Hmmm ,not sure about this one . I haven't seen 15 traffic cars in the last 3 years driving around doing my job.
Are you sure you are not a prime member of the snowflake generation ? Teachers are in short supply and if you are good at your job she needs you more than you need her, grow a pair and tell her where to get off .
For the record maggie was the best man we have had for a long time and she certainly would have approved of your car .
Good luck in the future . :thumb:

I'd love to sit in on the tribunal if he lost his job for having a Porsche!

I suspect it is your age more than anything else.

Nothing upsets old gits more than a YUPPIE!!

and yet...

Nothing makes people laugh more than an old git in a sports car??

You just can't win?

Fortunately, I am middle-aged and can get away with it....or did I hear someone say I was having a midlife crisis?

Oh well...enjoy.

I've had a cyclist follow me home for a mile or so to moan at me for driving a 911, which "makes to much noise". I literally laughed at him. He didn't like that. I didn't care. He said I should drive something which uses less petrol, I said I work from home, I use hardly any petrol, but thanks for his concern.

Anyone who acts enraged or annoyed is in reality annoyed that they can't afford one, like the white van driver shouting at the other day because I had overtaken him. On a dual carriage way. Doing 75 tops, he was doing 60. It's basically that they can't afford it and deep down they know they've failed at life and have a huge chip on their shoulder. I ignore them, who cares what they think, they aren't my family or friends...... Possibly the best one was a tesco van driver, blocking the road while delivering, when there was a large space 30 yards in front of him, told me to get a life when I asked if he could move, the swore at me, saying he was allowed to block the road, I asked if that was a good idea, when he could of parked 30 yards further on, thats when he swore. What he didn't see was me take his picture and report him to my local tesco store, which I use all the time. Tesco wasn't impressed with him.......

Just ignore them, but OP, I would of made it all very formal, obviously old lady thatcher had it in for you. Don't worry about it, people will whinge, but don't get a dull car as a result....

easternjets said:
I lived in a certain town that is now a city in Scotland, no names no pack drill!
I had a business at the time and things were doing well so I bought a 968, didn't really matter that it was the 'poor mans' Porsche, it was a Porsche and boy did it not rankle a few people.
I was firstly accused of dealing drugs, the truth was actually worse I sold mobile phones! This became such a problem that I was actually followed by plod for weeks and I heard from a local mechanic later that the Police had tried to find a way of fitting a tracker to my car without me knowing.
Then I had a full on tax investigation, which found that i'd made a lot of money out of selling mobile phones, well there's a surprise!
Sold the car in the end as I couldn't leave it any where and the 'guano' was effecting my business.
Anyone who is peed off that you own a nice car, Porsche, has more problems than you/we will ever have!

Ah ha .... well we know where that is now then ....!

Mobile phone sellers .... dodgy ..!!

Ive been stopped 4 times in the area over the years , charged for speeding at 70-72 MPH in all 4 cases ... 3 points + fine for the Christmas party ....each time
... Plod is taking the pi55 when you see what happens on a day to day basis...... mobile phones Mothers on school run texting while driving TO school...

You will always be a target in a Sports car .....

:D :D :cop:

The 997 is my Mrs car.
She is a deputy head.
She used to park the 997 around the corner from the school she used to work in.
She now takes the Picasso of power to work at the new job.
Taking the 997 isn't worth the grief from the jealous twats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back