Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

colour changing pros and cons

captain caveman

Thinking of doing a colour change on my car.
Blue at the moment and thinking of going yellow or red.
Only thing stopping me is where the time come to sell how would it effect the value and ease of sale.
Pros v con's?

Attachments

• 20170822_143937_605.jpg
    20170822_143937_605.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,688
Morning Cappo,

I'd wrap it or get Kimbo to do his magic on it.

If you do wrap it then take a video/loads of pics of what the paint was like BEFORE it was wrapped.

:thumb:

I did a colour change on mine, but from baltic blue to gulf blue, so it still reads blue on the V5.

If you are going to do it, it HAS to be done properly, so thats engine out, windows out, a major job and at about £7- £10k.

Not really worth it on a car with a value such as yours.

Spend considerably less money getting your own paintwork looking stunning and your car will look great.

Attachments

• image_981.jpeg
    image_981.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 3,627
Oh that looks lovely.

Resale suicide.

Only change the colour if you're keeping it forever.
As far as resale goes "They're only original once".

Plus as Peter says unless you bodge it and don't do the whole bare shell, you'll spend thousands to knock thousands off the value. Double whammy.

It's in a decent colour already if it was mint. :thumb:

And if you do bare metal strip it and repaint, don't let them sand it or you'll lose your galvanising.

PeterS said:
I did a colour change on mine, but from baltic blue to gulf blue, so it still reads blue on the V5.

If you are going to do it, it HAS to be done properly, so thats engine out, windows out, a major job and at about £7- £10k.

Not really worth it on a car with a value such as yours.

Spend considerably less money getting your own paintwork looking stunning and your car will look great.

I was in agreement with everything you wrote....
Then I saw your picture.... now I think we should all paint our cars... very nice :thumb:

wrap it i did mine for 12 months

Attachments

• img_0898_102_751.jpg
    img_0898_102_751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,440
It's your car, but if you're worried about resale value, get it ceramic coated and then wrapped so the vinyl doesn't pull the paint off when you remove it. Not the cheapest, but possibly the most sensible way forward.

Don't wrap it, spend the money correcting the original. What do the general public want, either a wrap where it's a gamble underneath or just beautiful, no chips and swirls paintwork.

There lies your answer. :thumb:

I say paint it!

Do the door shuts, but stop short of the engine bay.

I would paint it red, and the standard Porsche red of the time.

I really really wanted a red 3.4 996, but I only found a carmen red car that was overpriced. They are really rare.

The purists won't like it, but I personally would have valued a colour changed red one as much a resprayed original colour car.

Choose a rare but standard colour and I reckon you will be fine unless its a low miles garage queen "investment".

:hand:

Wasz have you had an early Xmas drink today? :grin:

You'd honestly prefer a red car with a blue engine bay than an immaculate blue car?

I agree guards red is the best 996 colour, maybe joined by speed yellow, but to paint a blue car red.. :eek:

... and to paint a blue car red but then leave the engine bay blue. :eek: :eek:

You're winding him up really aren't you, you must be. Just seeing if he'll do it. :D

I think PeterS summed it up Very Well.
+1

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back